Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Review: The 2002 UL Baseball Post Season

1. Support

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    The fact remains that, from present outlook, there will be no athletic contests on the gridiron, between them, this session.
    Great, great find, Turbine. Eerie how similar that is to the events of the past week. 100 years later, and nothing has changed over there.

2. UL Baseball

If UL losses every game in BR this year, with the exact same atmosphere . . .

No games would have been cancelled.

I still an't believe it was the local media that suggested it first.

jmo

3. UL Baseball Baseball 2002

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns
    NCAA Regionals at Baton Rouge 2nd place

COACHOverall RecordSunBelt Conference
    Tony Robichaux39-2317-7

Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by RyChat
    Great, great find, Turbine. Eerie how similar that is to the events of the past week. 100 years later, and nothing has changed over there.
    My God, we are caught in a time loop, groudhog day, deja vue over and over again.

Default Re: UL/LSU Game sold out??

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    The need to start playing home and home every year. I don't understand how they return EVERY state school in LA, but not UL.
    Well, they used to play two games every year (home and home) until the two teams started brawling every game they played this is no joke, literally there was multiple brawls and skip bertman finally suspended the two teams from playing for at least 4 years of regular season play. The suspension is up hopefully we will start to have these games again every year. I think the last times the two teams met in the regular season was in 2002. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    literally there was multiple brawls. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're wrong.there were no brawl. There were high and tight pitches, there were cleared benches, there were gums bumping, but there was no brawl.

And don't forget the "slipped" bat flying into the Cajun dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ You're wrong.there were no brawl. There were high and tight pitches, there were cleared benches, there were gums bumping, but there was no brawl. _

Well. brawl or not my point was that the games were getting out of hand, benches clearing is just as dangerous and rediculous to happen in multiple games as a brawl. But if you consider a fastball in the back and a fastball in the helmet high and tight then you are way off. They weren't just high and tight they were on us. I was there and remember this part quite well.

Weren't there some fights in the stands between fans also????

UL Baseball Re: UL/LSU Game sold out??

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ And don't forget the "slipped" bat flying into the Cajun dugout. _
    Well they (Jim Hawthorne) did say that there was no way he could have planned that tossed bat going into the dug out so they dismissed it as an accident. Well that might be right but.

I recall that when I was a kid, I planned to throw a firecracker near an open door to the washhouse about 35 feet away to scare my mom who was in it at the time. Well it went in, and hit her just as it was popping. No way could I have ever planned on that actually happening. Still it happened, and I firmly believe that bat was released on purpose. Where it actually landed may not have been planned, probably was not. Callous disregard for human safety by a young man, not a stupid ten year old.

Default Re: UL & LSU Square Off at "The Box"

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ I would suggest you consider where your head is located. I still absolutely burn that Tony says we have to "Earn" our way back to playing them here I was in BR when that crap happened and there was blame to go around Jay mentioned an ardent follower of UL baseball who recently passed away who said he would never go back I know several others of the same ilk. ardent followers and very sane people. who refuse to go back

Tony we were not to blame back then. and we dont have to earn a damn thing. As for the kids wanting to play well sometimes kids dont always get what they want because its just not the right thing to do _
    Can someone explain to me exactly what happened between us and LSU when we played them a few years ago. I've known for a while that something happened between the two schools but I never heard the details. anyone care to fill me in?

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan32 View Post
    Can someone explain to me exactly what happened between us and LSU when we played them a few years ago. I've known for a while that something happened between the two schools but I never heard the details. anyone care to fill me in?
    To my way of thinking, nothing happened.

After the series LSU said we won't play UL any more.

It bled over to Softball with the softball coach saying he would uit before she would play UL again. Seems she is a woman of her word.

igeaux.mobi

Head to head is now 5-5 in the last 10 meetings (goes back to 2002) if my numbers are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ To my way of thinking, nothing happened.

It bled over to Softball with the softball coach saying he would uit before she would play UL again. Seems she is a woman of her word.

igeaux.mobi _
    I'm not exactly certain of what happened, but there was more to it than this. I remember it was a regional (championship game), batters were thrown at, players were ejected - I know there are a lot of details in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ To my way of thinking, nothing happened.

igeaux.mobi _

We were in the BR Regional as the #2 seed if memory serves We beat a&m@br in the winners bracket which meant they had to beat us twice.

They of course made their way back to the championship game and emotions were riding high. Mid way in the first game, one of their guys hits a home run and as he comes around third base he is hot-dogging to our bench. Well the next batter gets plunked and the benches empty. no punches. and Robe gets ejected. the place was going nuts with the a&m fans taunting us etc.

In between games (I was told this later), Robe was interviewed by Jay and he seemed livid. saying something like "I will NEVER apologize for the name on my jersey. I don't care who and where we are playing". maybe Jay, if he chooses to comment on this thread will have a better memory on the interview cause this came to me second hand

Anyway, they put a butt whipping on us in the final game and it was almost taking your life in your hands, literally, if you were wearing red. An African American fan told me later he had not heard such language sinde the 60's As we walked down the stairs the a&m@br finest were hopping in front of us and taunting us it was close to a riot.

So they (both parties) decided to not play for awhile and let emotions ebb. Which is why it chaps me to no end that Robe has taken the high rode and goes play to "EARN" the right to play again It was BS, admittedly on both ends I was far from innocent because I gave it as good as I got it. but we were definitely not at fault alone and should not be begging to play.

Thats my recollection

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information