Thread: 2014 Pentathlam - UL Ranked #3 Nationally

1. Default 2014 Pentathlam - UL Ranked #3 Nationally

It’s year 10 of the pentathlam.

If you’ve never heard of it, it’s a concept started by UL Ragin’ Cajun diehard fan Glen Raggio a decade ago.

As the story goes, he got a little tired of hearing that more fans would go to Cajun athletic events “if they only won more games.”

2. Default Re: UL athletics finishes No. 3 nationally in Pentathlam

Default Re: UL athletics finishes No. 3 nationally in Pentathlam

PENTATHLAM

Strength
    Original, creative, focus on top 5 revenue sports, great advertisement for Louisiana athletics

Weakness
    Authement's biographer will use pentathlam measurement to show how his administration took a program from the depths of the death penalty to a top echelon program in collegiate athletics with a #3 national ranking in 2005.

4. Default Re: UL athletics finishes No. 3 nationally in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    PENTATHLAM

Strength
    Original, creative, focus on top 5 revenue sports, great advertisement for Louisiana athletics

Weakness
    Authement's biographer will use pentathlam measurement to show how his administration took a program from the depths of the death penalty to a top echelon program in collegiate athletics with a #3 national ranking in 2005.
    Addendum Shexnay got a virtual fire for it.

Always thought the compliance officer should have been fired, but apparently Authement thought the buck stopped higher up with the AD for that basketball violation . unbelievable that the violation by Orein Greene (?) was not caught.

And you may know more than me on this topic, which is not unusual.

6. Default Re: UL athletics finishes No. 3 nationally in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Always thought the compliance officer should have been fired, but apparently Authement thought the buck stopped higher up with the AD for that basketball violation . unbelievable that the violation by Orein Greene (?) was not caught.

And you may know more than me on this topic, which is not unusual.
    I don't know anything Edith didn't teach me, Edith Dupre' that is.

Bottom line in 2014 Pentathlam; Louisiana fans went home happy 75% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't know anything Edith didn't teach me, Edith Dupre' that is.

Bottom line in 2014 Pentathlam; Louisiana fans went home happy 75% of the time.
    I do not remember the name of the gentleman that compiled the stats, but on Jay's show yesterday he mentioned that if you only took into account home games the % is higher. Remember most fans only attended home games.

Geaux Cajuns

8. Default Re: UL athletics finishes No. 3 nationally in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I do not remember the name of the gentleman that compiled the stats, but on Jay's show yesterday he mentioned that if you only took into account home games the % is higher. Remember most fans only attended home games.

Geaux Cajuns
    Glen Raggio

Because of my work schedule I listen to most games on the radio and Jay makes me feel like I'm there. When he pauses to grab a bite from the Cajun Cooking Club I start talking.

Default Re: 2014 Pentathlam - UL Ranked #3 Nationally

This is like being ranked number one in baseball.

Jay, Stevie P., and others may be #1 in Winning Percentage because I am not sure if Louisville or Florida State broadcasts any WBB or SFT games. But surely no worse than #3.

"Cajuns win, Cajuns win, Cajuns win" 74.63%

Thanks, Townsquare Media

After reviewing the 2014 version of the "Pentathlam" (so carefully researched by Mr. Raggio), I decided to take a look at how UL has performed against "In-State" competition in these same five (5) sports over the last five years. I decided to go back 5 years to include the last days of the Robert Lee, Rickey Bustle and Errol Rogers era's just to be fair to the competition (HaHa)! I also wanted to see how the Cajuns have performed over that same 5 year period against the only "In-State" team in the Sun Belt Conference, that being ULMost. If my numbers are correct, the results are as follows:

UL's Success against In-State competition over the last 5 years:
    Football: 8 wins & 2 losses (80% wins)
    Men's Basketball: 20 wins & 10 Losses (66.6%)
    Women's Basketball: 25 wins & 19 Losses (56.8%)
    Baseball: 61 wins & 27 losses (69.3%)
    Softball: 32 wins & 3 losses (91.4%)
    Totals: 146 wins & 61 Losses (70.5%)

UL's success against ULMost over the last 5 years:
    Football: 4 wins & 1 loss (80% wins)
    Men's Basketball: 8 wins & 3 Losses (72.7%)
    Women's Basketball: 3 wins & 6 Losses (33.3%)
    Baseball: 21 wins & 7 losses (75%)
    Softball: 15 wins & 2 losses (88.2%)
    Totals: 51 wins & 19 Losses (72.8%)

Based on these results, I'd have to say that if the Cajuns have been this successful over the last five years, I can't wait to see how much more we will dominate this state with everything now taking place around Cajun athletics!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    After reviewing the 2014 version of the "Pentathlam" (so carefully researched by Mr. Raggio), I decided to take a look at how UL has performed against "In-State" competition in these same five (5) sports over the last five years. I decided to go back 5 years to include the last days of the Robert Lee, Rickey Bustle and Errol Rogers era's just to be fair to the competition (HaHa)! I also wanted to see how the Cajuns have performed over that same 5 year period against the only "In-State" team in the Sun Belt Conference, that being ULMost. If my numbers are correct, the results are as follows:

Based on these results, I'd have to say that if the Cajuns have been this successful over the last five years, I can't wait to see how much more we will dominate this state with everything now taking place around Cajun athletics!
    That's good stuff, thanks Dug

13. Default Re: 2014 Pentathlam - UL Ranked #3 Nationally

Athletic network picked up on the Pentathlam. http://www.athleticnetwork.net/site7&newsID=17247

14. Default Re: 2014 Pentathlam - UL Ranked #3 Nationally

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post

------You see Duggie you are one of those guys that obviously loves research and just want you to know how much some of us REALLY appreciate your post---Time and time again I have said that there are many thoughts that go on this board that could help our school-----This needs to be given to Scott Farmer pronto to distribute to all the coaches---Very positive stuff---I had a copy of the LC A MESS that one day had great coverage for UL on our regional B BALL appearance ----So I gave him (SF) the paper and he ran off copies to give to the SID to write a "thank you" for the coverage!!! Augie called this the image of difference----In my years with Jostens various speakers brought up the same points in different ways!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ------You see Duggie you are one of those guys that obviously loves research and just want you to know how much some of us REALLY appreciate your post---Time and time again I have said that there are many thoughts that go on this board that could help our school-----This needs to be given to Scott Farmer pronto to distribute to all the coaches---Very positive stuff---I had a copy of the LC A MESS that one day had great coverage for UL on our regional B BALL appearance ----So I gave him (SF) the paper and he ran off copies to give to the SID to write a "thank you" for the coverage!!! Augie called this the image of difference----In my years with Jostens various speakers brought up the same points in different ways!!!
    Happy to occasionally make a small contribution!

Thread Information