Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TiC: Who’s to blame for UL’s bowl snub?

1. UL Football TiC: Who’s to blame for UL’s bowl snub?

Coach Rickey Bustle takes responsibility for not winning a seventh game, but we have a few thoughts of our own.

After its best season in years and finishing a close second behind Sun Belt Conference champion Troy, this was supposed to be the year the Ragin’ Cajuns snapped their 38-year bowl spell. But on bowl selection day, the Ragin’ Cajuns didn’t get an invite, a snub that has sparked outrage and bewilderment across all UL sports fan outlets from the Raginpagin blog to Jay Walker’s radio show. The Motor City Bowl passed over UL for the Sun Belt’s fourth place finisher, Florida Atlantic. Even more puzzling was the Shreveport Independence Bowl reaching all the way to the Mid-American Conference’s fifth place team, Northern Illinois, to play against Louisiana Tech rather than selecting UL. With the Sun Belt having contracts in place that should have guaranteed its runner-up a bowl spot, politics clearly came into play.

The rest of the story

By Nathan Stubbs
    The Ind

*TiC = Tongue in Cheek

Default Re: TiC: Who’s to blame for UL’s bowl snub?

I hate this article.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ I hate this article. _
    Agree.

all I can say is Why? I hate these little attempts on the part of sports writers to make jokes about UL's misshaps. All they do is stir the pot and mark up another jab at the football program that (besides us) everyone in the state loves to hate. And of course cue the LSU fans with the usual "accept what you are" and the "UL will never be good. Period". But we wanted more media coverage, we got it.

The Independent has always had an anti-UL spin. An amateurish article like this one is not the least bit surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by ljr3721 View Post
    _ The Independent has always had an anti-UL spin. An amateurish article like this one is not the least bit surprising. _
    Not sure why you say that?

Did you forget about the main article about the upcoming UL football season in August 2008? How about the great story by Dan McDonald in October 2008 (I think October) about Tyrell Fenroy?

That's just what I remember from the past couple months. I know there have been more positive articles about UL in The Independent.

Also, how about the fact that the 2 owners of the Independent have a relative on Cajun football team?

Theory debunked

But other than that, I didn't like this particular article.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ Not sure why you say that?

Did you forget about the main article about the upcoming UL football season in August 2008? How about the great story by Dan McDonald in October 2008 (I think October) about Tyrell Fenroy?

That's just what I remember from the past couple months. I know there have been more positive articles about UL in The Independent.

Also, how about the fact that the 2 owners of the Independent have a relative on Cajun football team?

Theory debunked

But other than that, I didn't like this particular article. _
    They did have Fenroy on the cover in Oct. It's hot and cold from what i've noticed. They either have something really positive or just completely miss the mark. there's no such thing as bad pub right? haha

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ They did have Fenroy on the cover in Oct. It's hot and cold from what i've noticed. They either have something really positive or just completely miss the mark. there's no such thing as bad pub right? haha _
    The difference was that the October Fenroy article was written by Don Allen, who I've always known to write and speak without bias. The guy who wrote this article obviously has an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ The difference was that the October Fenroy article was written by Don Allen, who I've always known to write and speak without bias. The guy who wrote this article obviously has an agenda. _
    That is correct. Don's article was great, but it was a guest column. I don't really have time to go and dig up examples, but it seems to me that when there any possible negative spin on a UL news story, the Independent will take it. The horse farm and the presedential search come to mind.

Does anybody know who this Nathan Stubbs d- bag is? This is a dead topic. What's worse is that most of the commenters at the bottom of the page actually think that this dude shares the opinion of Ragin' Cajuns fans. Obviously they are too stupid to see that he is not one of us and is actually taking a jab at us.

Whatever. I'm over it. It's basketball season, b*tch!!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't see what the big deal is. The dude's a local skid mark. Skid marks write these kind of satirical articles. Thinking about it, from outside the UL perspective, it is kind of "funny". Stupid. but funny. Really. does this guy or this rag matter? I was kind of surprised that a Tech fan-friend sent this to me hot off the press. and he doesn't have anything to do with the Independent or Lafayette. This article cracked them up. of course.

We, UL, are becoming notorious for being major whiners. The only way we are ever going to get this kind of punk junk off our backs is to accomplish more in athletics. Look, it's sad that you have to comb your hair and wear a clean shirt to a job interview. "why don't they just admire me for my GPA and hire me". well, the world doesn't work that way. you can't have bad breath and a stain on your shirt and expect to get respected. We need to kick our athletics up to half way where we perceive ourselves. and this kind of stuff will stop bothering us.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I can certainly take a joke. And I can also take an occasional laugh at my own expense.

No problems here. A mildly interesting read.

What I find funnier is the people who comment and can't detect the sarcasm in the article. As if all of those points were actual excuses.

This is Huey Long's fault!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _This is Huey Long's fault!! _
    I love that statement. Too true. I saw Huey's ghost on UL's campus laughing at all of us

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    _ I love that statement. Too true. I saw Huey's ghost on UL's campus laughing at all of us _
    Huey's ghost cronies stole my BIO 121 textbook last semester which caused me to fail the class, which resulted in me getting kicked out of school, which lowered the University's graduation rate. I still wake up to Heuy standing over me pointing and laughing. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ljr3721 View Post
    _ That is correct. Don's article was great, but it was a guest column. I don't really have time to go and dig up examples, but it seems to me that when there any possible negative spin on a UL news story, the Independent will take it. The horse farm and the presedential search come to mind. _
    A guest column that is the main article? Damn, must have a been a great, positive article for UL and Tyrell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information