Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Above average: UL football season in review

1. UL Football Above average: UL football season in review

With UL's football team coming off a 3-9 season, Michael Desormeaux truly believed the Cajuns would be better in 2008. The senior quarterback entered this year with his team picked sixth in the Sun Belt Conference's preseason poll.

"We feel like we've got a chance to be a very good football team," Desormeaux said in the preseason. "We're putting down the groundwork right now to start something big this season."

He certainly helped his team raise some eyebrows this season.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • December 15, 2008

Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ Instead of getting hotter than a pot of boiling gumbo, UL coach Rickey Bustle said his team should have taken control of its own destiny. With one more win, the Cajuns would have been guaranteed to make a bowl game ahead of a 6-6 team.
    _
    Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!!

.and some minor injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!! _
    The team did all they could, the one's that were healthy anyway Hard to win with a running QB who can't run and freshmen who were supposed to redshirt playing LB. Mix that in with a few inabilities to adjust by the coaches and you have 6-6

5. Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

We lost the hurricane game---I later found out about the kids not knowing where to go and talking with family etc.--------played damn good against the 2 big guys and really could have won---the 3 walking wounded games speak for themselves--we were in BAD shape--look who played and whose not wearing a redshirt!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ We lost the hurricane game---I later found out about the kids not knowing where to go and talking with family etc.--------played damn good against the 2 big guys and really could have won---the 3 walking wounded games speak for themselves--we were in BAD shape--look who played and whose not wearing a redshirt!!!!1 _
    As someone who interviewed those guys after the Southern Miss loss in Hattiesburg, it was easy to see how draining that whole experience was.

It was tough on me, and I wasn't even playing in the game. Probably had more to do with boarding up the house and making the drive to and from Hattiesburg in a 24-hour period.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!! _
    Yep, the way I heard it, after we lost the LB corps the coaching staff tore up Dez's knee just to make things a bit more interesting this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Yep, the way I heard it, after we lost the LB corps the coaching staff tore up Dez's knee just to make things a bit more interesting this season. _

Don't forget about Fenroy's shoulder, McGuire's hamstring which kept him out a couple of games and meant we'd have to go with the third string freshman, and the ONE scholarship lineman who was available in case all the injuries on the O-Line flared up.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ As someone who interviewed those guys after the Southern Miss loss in Hattiesburg, it was easy to see how draining that whole experience was.

It was tough on me, and I wasn't even playing in the game. Probably had more to do with boarding up the house and making the drive to and from Hattiesburg in a 24-hour period. _
    This was a good synopsis of the year, Josh. I've certainly lightened up on the coaching criticisms I maintained during the year. Basically, I believe a coach uses every obstacle as another challenge to his greatness as a coach. He should use bubblegum, deception or mental telepathy. if that is all he has left, in order to win games. But, as a season wrap, I think we had a reasonable shot at 7 wins with a moderately healthy team. Whether without the hurricane it would have only amounted to a closer game with USM, or with LBs healthy and/or a healthy MD we would have taken perhaps UTEP or FAU. I credit Bustle as much as the warrior players for the 6 wins we did get.

We add to our mental resume that we also played KSU and Illinois, away, down to the wire. and we have to collectively agree, as fans, we had our best season in a decade. We aren't anywhere where we want to be. No one "accepts" 6-6. I do, however, feel the program is heading upward. The rate of ascent could dramatically accelerate if the president were to be more vocal about declaring his dedication to that ascent and the new strategy for ensuring it.

Are you slated anytime soon to interview Dr. Savoie regarding programs he has in mind to broaden our base of support for football and how much involvement he will have in making sure we are bowl-bound in 3 of the next 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ This was a good synopsis of the year, Josh. I've certainly lightened up on the coaching criticisms I maintained during the year. Basically, I believe a coach uses every obstacle as another challenge to his greatness as a coach. He should use bubblegum, deception or mental telepathy. if that is all he has left, in order to win games. But, as a season wrap, I think we had a reasonable shot at 7 wins with a moderately healthy team. Whether without the hurricane it would have only amounted to a closer game with USM, or with LBs healthy and/or a healthy MD we would have taken perhaps UTEP or FAU. I credit Bustle as much as the warrior players for the 6 wins we did get.

We add to our mental resume that we also played KSU and Illinois, away, down to the wire. and we have to collectively agree, as fans, we had our best season in a decade. We aren't anywhere where we want to be. No one "accepts" 6-6. I do, however, feel the program is heading upward. The rate of ascent could dramatically accelerate if the president were to be more vocal about declaring his dedication to that ascent and the new strategy for ensuring it.

Are you slated anytime soon to interview Dr. Savoie regarding programs he has in mind to broaden our base of support for football and how much involvement he will have in making sure we are bowl-bound in 3 of the next 5 years? _

Did the snow last week soften you up? You banged on me for weeks regarding the coaching thing. I'm glad you altered your outlook on the situationHowever, next year should be clearly noted that coach Bustle should be held to a higher expectation and we should see a better product on the field as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    However, next year should be clearly noted that coach Bustle should be held to a higher expectation and we should see a better product on the field as well. _
    I agree. It's taken awhile to get to this point but because of what he had to start with at UL, (i.e. absolutely nothing), he's earned getting his fan evaluations delayed longer than the typical situation involving 4-5 years.

is this one of those wait til next year things again.we need a real coach. I appreciate everything bustle has done for this program, because it is definitely in better shape than when he took over, but i think he has taken it as far as he can. everyone is saying get off his back for a 6-6 year. do you people not remember what happened the year after our 6-5 year or even better, after our other 6-6 yearwe tanked, and if something isn't done it will happen again and we really wont be able to get anyone in here to coach. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    _ is this one of those wait til next year things again.we need a real coach. I appreciate everything bustle has done for this program, because it is definitely in better shape than when he took over, but i think he has taken it as far as he can. everyone is saying get off his back for a 6-6 year. do you people not remember what happened the year after our 6-5 year or even better, after our other 6-6 yearwe tanked, and if something isn't done it will happen again and we really wont be able to get anyone in here to coach. jmo _

Here is the scenario. First, Bustle was on the hotseat this year with fans and rightfully so. However, he still has 3 years left on his contract. You CAN'T buy him out because of our budget woes. So, you have to hope that we put a better product on the field. It would have been an easy decision for the administration if he had won 3 games like last year and seemingly lost what fanbase we have. However, the team like the article said, actually surprised a lot of the "experts" witht their finish in league and near losses to BCS schools despite all of the injuries we had. The record was mediocre but the level of play for much of the season was MUCH better than what we've seen in recent years. The offense when healthy was one of the best in the country (just ask Kansas St.). The D was much improved (just ask Juice Williams and Illinois) and both were leading to some exciting games.

My biggest complaint with Bustle has been his inconsistency from year to year which is what you stated. I hate how we can win 4 in a row but lose 5 in a row also. The same is from year to year and I think that the bar has been raised. I did not expect a good 2007 season but I just didn't expect to get beat by McNeese and lose our lead to Ohio to finish so bad also. Until this program is provided the resources to increase its budget and get on a level playing field, a 6-6 year is not bad at all.

If you have any recommendations as to how we can pony up more than 194k to pay a head coach, I'm all ears. Will Muschamp just got a nice big bonus to be offensive coordinator at Texas and is payed 900k!

If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet

_ Here is the scenario. First, Bustle was on the hotseat this year with fans and rightfully so. However, he still has 3 years left on his contract. You CAN'T buy him out because of our budget woes. So, you have to hope that we put a better product on the field. It would have been an easy decision for the administration if he had won 3 games like last year and seemingly lost what fanbase we have. However, the team like the article said, actually surprised a lot of the "experts" witht their finish in league and near losses to BCS schools despite all of the injuries we had. The record was mediocre but the level of play for much of the season was MUCH better than what we've seen in recent years. The offense when healthy was one of the best in the country (just ask Kansas St.). The D was much improved (just ask Juice Williams and Illinois) and both were leading to some exciting games.

My biggest complaint with Bustle has been his inconsistency from year to year which is what you stated. I hate how we can win 4 in a row but lose 5 in a row also. The same is from year to year and I think that the bar has been raised. I did not expect a good 2007 season but I just didn't expect to get beat by McNeese and lose our lead to Ohio to finish so bad also. Until this program is provided the resources to increase its budget and get on a level playing field, a 6-6 year is not bad at all.

If you have any recommendations as to how we can pony up more than 194k to pay a head coach, I'm all ears. Will Muschamp just got a nice big bonus to be offensive coordinator at Texas and is payed 900k!

If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet _
    Muschamp is a DC not OC

If La Tech can pony up 400K to pay Dooley there is no reason that we can't do the same. Until he proves me wrong (which I don't think he will) I am on the Fire Bustle bandwagon and I am not going to get off.

If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet _
    Tulane's HC Bob Toledo is in the second year of his contract (2-10 this season) and they pay him $650K. Yes, I did say Tulane.

In terms of physical talent, facilities, administrative and fan support, etc. Tulane is about where we were in 2002 when Bustle arrived. If they think firing Toledo and hiring a new coach is a sure fire way to success in their present situation then I feel really, really sorry for them. No sir, at best the weenies are looking at a long, difficult building project and patience with Toledo is the most important ingredient right now. I know that based upon personal experience with our program.

Given the factor you mention above, the major injuries we suffered this season, the season record despite the injuries, the fact this team really did earn an I Bowl invite, the excellence in the 2008 recruiting class and looking at our returners next season and the recent, overall upgrades in the program, I have no reservations about waiting another season before really putting Coach B on the hot seat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information