Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

Default Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

I just saw a partial score on ESPN that UL was leading 69-40. BUT, more interestingly is how ESPN showed the score:

LOUISIANA 40 UL Laf 69

It is obvious we still have a LONG way to go on this name issue on a national level. UL needs to get more aggressive and take a position on this. It is totally rediculous.

And, while we are at it, it is time to find our own separation in Louisiana from the other schools. LSU certainly has its separation. And, LA Tech has developed its separation in the WAC and now another bowl game while we sit home. In the meantime, UL is nicely joined at the hip with ULM and stuck in the SBC. And, we continue to play Louisiana teams each year in Northwestern State, McNeese and now Southern. Have we really left the Gulf States Conference, er Southland? Why is it so difficult for UL to find that separation? Why are we always at the low end of the totem pole? Why are we screwed every year in sports as CajunFun pointed out in his article? Why do we have a loser mentality every year, expecting the worse to happen and, of course, it usually does?

When does all of this change? When will our new President come out with a 5Year or 10 Year Plan and outline where we want to go and how we are going to get there? When will UL make a formal announcement of all the things we have been hearing about for a year now, i.e. RCAF, baseball and softball stadium enhancements/replacements, football stadium improvements, and other needed facility improvements? And what about the big signage that was supposed to be built this past year? Everything continues to be hush hush and the rumor mill goes crazy, but still no word from our leaders.

Will Dr. S push the envelope for use of Louisiana and UL athletically? Will we just continue as Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns, Louisiana-Lafayette, UL Laf and U LA LA indefinately?

Seeing the Louisiana vs. UL Laf tonight on ESPN is sickening. It is time for UL to do something and make a major statement about who we are and the things that truly set us apart from the rest of the state. And then, take steps to separate ourselves athletically and academically. We can no longer afford to be the "sleeping giant" and "best kept secret" as UL is often called.

Default Re: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

I am so sick of ESPN. It's seems like they are doing this on purpose. When they have Boston College they put BC or BOS COL and then Boston U to separate the two and avoid the confusion. Leaving out the College for LC has to be intentional. LC doesn't even claim the Louisiana moniker so someone in the upper levels of Bristol, Conn. either has an agenda or poor sense of humor.

I know I have ragged on Cox in the past but they have really stepped up lately as a friend of the University. They might not have the reach of ESPN but at least when I watch the Cajuns on CST, I'm not subjected to advertisements for stupid human interest story ESPN constantly runs or their lame azz stats they always bring up.

3. UL Football Re: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    And, we continue to play Louisiana teams each year in Northwestern State, McNeese and now Southern. Have we really left the Gulf States Conference, er Southland? Why is it so difficult for UL to find that separation? Why are we always at the low end of the totem pole?
    I'm sorry but 8% of your schedule cannot in any way dictate separation or lack thereof.

8% is roughly the one game a year out of 13 that can get you in that elusive 13th game otherwise known as a bowl game. UL hasn't created separation because it hasn't been in a recent bowl game.

My suggestion is if we want separation we establish it yearly in 8% increments.

High noon Thanksgiving Day every year rotate Grambling, McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern, Southeastern and Southern and everyone is the state is home for supper.

This is how you create separation not some cop-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    The information presented is intended for entertainment purposes only. Please check your local, state and provincial laws before reading. If your local laws prohibit reading then we recommend you consider an alternative form of entertainment. The author is not liable for misuse of all information disseminated.

université de la Louisiane
    Jeaux,

I like your sign-off. It's hilarious.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this to you before, if so I apologize. Back when we (again) got the name change, I wondered if we should be "L'Université de la Louisiane" or "L'Université de Louisiane."

After some discussion with a couple of French scholars, they finally decided the second suggested a stronger tie with the state, an official tie... kinda like "We ARE Louisiana."

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    After some discussion with a couple of French scholars, they finally decided the second suggested a stronger tie with the state, an official tie... kinda like "We ARE Louisiana."
    And we are so let's behave accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    _ I am so sick of ESPN. It's seems like they are doing this on purpose. When they have Boston College they put BC or BOS COL and then Boston U to separate the two and avoid the confusion. Leaving out the College for LC has to be intentional. LC doesn't even claim the Louisiana moniker so someone in the upper levels of Bristol, Conn. either has an agenda or poor sense of humor.

I know I have ragged on Cox in the past but they have really stepped up lately as a friend of the University. They might not have the reach of ESPN but at least when I watch the Cajuns on CST, I'm not subjected to advertisements for stupid human interest story ESPN constantly runs or their lame azz stats they always bring up. _
    when you're at a football game, and the offensive team makes that little ring among themselves between plays, are you pretty sure they're talking about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    _ when you're at a football game, and the offensive team makes that little ring among themselves between plays, are you pretty sure they're talking about you? _
    This thread isn't about me so if your gonna come on here holding stephen A smiths hand you need to explain why your lipstick is all over his...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Jeaux,

I like your sign-off. It's hilarious.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this to you before, if so I apologize. Back when we (again) got the name change, I wondered if we should be "L'Université de la Louisiane" or "L'Université de Louisiane."

After some discussion with a couple of French scholars, they finally decided the second suggested a stronger tie with the state, an official tie... kinda like "We ARE Louisiana." _
    Fun,

If you say the second is stronger than I'm going with that. You could make it into a T-shirt with "L'Université de Louisiane" on the front and "We are Louisiana" on the back. It would look pretty cool and unique.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ And we are so let's behave accordingly. _
    I gotta agree with HoustonCajun here. I generally don't like the UL-L arguments, but I believe HCajun's point brings up a disturbing trend that most everyone here refuses to realize. We ARE NOT the "University of Louisiana" to almost everyone else in the country. And we won't be until we (the admin) at least try to declare it so.

Seeing things like "UL LAF" is beyond ridiculous (add in the fact that LC was called Louisiana, and I just start puking in my mouth). Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "we should have stayed USL" guys, but this is starting to get silly. And it would be nice if T-Joe would show his face on athletics(we're waiting...).

When will this all end?

Google Ragin Cajuns. You get a USL, a UL_L, and many Louisiana-Lafayette's. Oh look one Louisiana reference. Face it, we are Louisiana-Lafayette. I'm over it. What I would like to see more than UL on ESPN is some wins in Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Google Ragin Cajuns. You get a USL, a UL_L, and many Louisiana-Lafayette's. Oh look one Louisiana reference. Face it, we are Louisiana-Lafayette. I'm over it. What I would like to see more than UL on ESPN is some wins in Basketball. _

Look at the Game Notes for the Louisiana vs. Louisiana College game. This is the format being used by the SID for basketball. You have to go to page 3 to find this statement:

WE ARE LOUISIANA
    ● In all references to our institution please use Louisiana for first reference and UL for
    abbreviations. The abbreviation “ULL” is NOT an acceptable use of our name.

Basketball uses LOUISIANA. Football did not use this same format, it just used Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. In both the football and basketball Game Notes, there are still references to Louisiana-Lafayette as this has not been totally cleaned-up.

UL is trying to make a statement, but it is so inconspicuous on page 3 that it goes unnoticed. Any wonder no one outside of Lafayette picks it up?

Here are the Game Notes links for football and basketball. Note the inconsistencies in each.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/fls/15400...B_OEM_ID=15400

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Look at the Game Notes for the Louisiana vs. Louisiana College game. This is the format being used by the SID for basketball. You have to go to page 3 to find this statement:

WE ARE LOUISIANA
    ● In all references to our institution please use Louisiana for first reference and UL for
    abbreviations. The abbreviation “ULL” is NOT an acceptable use of our name.

Basketball uses LOUISIANA. Football did not use this same format, it just used Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. In both the football and basketball Game Notes, there are still references to Louisiana-Lafayette as this has not been totally cleaned-up.

UL is trying to make a statement, but it is so inconspicuous on page 3 that it goes unnoticed. Any wonder no one outside of Lafayette picks it up?

Here are the Game Notes links for football and basketball. Note the inconsistencies in each.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/fls/15400...B_OEM_ID=15400 _
    As long as there is a University of Louisiana-Monroe ESPN and others will use University of Louisiana-Lafayette. You can put Louisiana in there all you want but they are going to continue to use University of Louisiana-Lafayette. There is a University of Louisiana System in this state. If McNeese, Northwestern, Nicholls, or Southeastern want to change their names to University of Louisiana at fill in the blank they can do so. Then you will really have some confusion out there and UL-Laf will be used. There is no flagship university in the University of Louisiana System and there never will be. So just get over it!!!!! If you win games and championships they don't care what your name is and you shouldn't either.

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Google Ragin Cajuns. You get a USL, a UL_L, and many Louisiana-Lafayette's. Oh look one Louisiana reference. Face it, we are Louisiana-Lafayette. I'm over it. What I would like to see more than UL on ESPN is some wins in Basketball. _
    MetryCajun you are so right win games and nobody cares what your name is.

14. Default Re: Louisiana vs. UL Laf Louisiana (ESPN)

Let me shed some light on this subject. I am not defending espn because they lost their edge on sports reporting years ago. They've turned into a fat giant. Here is the story, for the younger cajuns or those who forgot. We need to go back to the year 2000. All the stars were in order. The 1999 name change that really happened in 1984, the sky was clearing and the sun seemed bright. The BB team was on its way to 25 wins and ncaa's, softball was in postseason as usual and we all know what baseball did in the cws. The ragin cajuns were on fire on the national scene. I remember watching Louisiana play a non conference game that season on espn against Siena. The cajuns won the game and looked really good doing it. The play by play guys on espn called us Louisiana the entire game and even told the story of the 15 year battle of the name change and that we prevailed. I watched the game at a public restauant with some friends and remember it clearly, they had words on the screen as the game was being called. Every time is showed Louisiana (it had to be say 100 times) I felt so good. I always liked the adage of "good things come to those who wait" and we waited 15 years. So espn was on board from early on with Louisiana. Then in March, during to ncaa bb pairings they had 2 lafayette's, us and the real U of lafayette. This confused and kinda angered espn, so they looked into how this happened. Then many of us on the university of louisiana delphi board emailed espn and cbs and explained the entire story to them and guess what? They agreed and sided with us, we were Louisiana on both channels. That was the time the administration should have stepped in and made it crystal clear that we are Louisiana, not leave it up to fans that know the story like us. We got it done though and it lasted on espn until January 2002, that is when they switched over to what they have now. during the 2000 cws they called us mostly louisiana and showed us as ULA. So our administration had from 1999 to 2002 to explain the truth to espn. They never did. I know this because there is a legend on espn that you might never guess who loves the ragin cajuns. Yes, it is dick vitale. He is from detroit and he still loves detroit. He comes here often for charity. He is 100% real and stated several times that he loves Louisiana ragin cajuns and that he understands the struggle since he was at U of Detroit. He said all its takes it the AD to make it offical and it would be done. Louisiana it is. He gave an example from U of D. The legal name is now university of Detroit Mercy. If espn got thousands of emails telling them to call them Det. Mcy. they would not do it unless it comes from the administration, which sounds fair and makes sense. I know many of you down there blame Doc. A. for much of this confusion and you were correct. I know his intentions were good but this inaction for years allowed this stuff to go on to where we are now. What I can not understand is that he (doc.A) thought sw louisiana was too regional. hello doc, but lafayette is even more regional. I give him a world of credit for what he done in 1984 and now I pray that this new adminstration finishes what was started in 1984. How about a 25 year historical statement made by the president on April 27, 2009. Now that would be true justice at the highest order. The new president has the power and I have a good feeling in my heart that he will take the right path for the University of Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by ragindetroitcajun View Post
    _ Let me shed some light on this subject. I am not defending espn because they lost their edge on sports reporting years ago. They've turned into a fat giant. Here is the story, for the younger cajuns or those who forgot. We need to go back to the year 2000. All the stars were in order. The 1999 name change that really happened in 1984, the sky was clearing and the sun seemed bright. The BB team was on its way to 25 wins and ncaa's, softball was in postseason as usual and we all know what baseball did in the cws. The ragin cajuns were on fire on the national scene. I remember watching Louisiana play a non conference game that season on espn against Siena. The cajuns won the game and looked really good doing it. The play by play guys on espn called us Louisiana the entire game and even told the story of the 15 year battle of the name change and that we prevailed. I watched the game at a public restauant with some friends and remember it clearly, they had words on the screen as the game was being called. Every time is showed Louisiana (it had to be say 100 times) I felt so good. I always liked the adage of "good things come to those who wait" and we waited 15 years. So espn was on board from early on with Louisiana. Then in March, during to ncaa bb pairings they had 2 lafayette's, us and the real U of lafayette. This confused and kinda angered espn, so they looked into how this happened. Then many of us on the university of louisiana delphi board emailed espn and cbs and explained the entire story to them and guess what? They agreed and sided with us, we were Louisiana on both channels. That was the time the administration should have stepped in and made it crystal clear that we are Louisiana, not leave it up to fans that know the story like us. We got it done though and it lasted on espn until January 2002, that is when they switched over to what they have now. during the 2000 cws they called us mostly louisiana and showed us as ULA. So our administration had from 1999 to 2002 to explain the truth to espn. They never did. I know this because there is a legend on espn that you might never guess who loves the ragin cajuns. Yes, it is dick vitale. He is from detroit and he still loves detroit. He comes here often for charity. He is 100% real and stated several times that he loves Louisiana ragin cajuns and that he understands the struggle since he was at U of Detroit. He said all its takes it the AD to make it offical and it would be done. Louisiana it is. He gave an example from U of D. The legal name is now university of Detroit Mercy. If espn got thousands of emails telling them to call them Det. Mcy. they would not do it unless it comes from the administration, which sounds fair and makes sense. I know many of you down there blame Doc. A. for much of this confusion and you were correct. I know his intentions were good but this inaction for years allowed this stuff to go on to where we are now. What I can not understand is that he (doc.A) thought sw louisiana was too regional. hello doc, but lafayette is even more regional. I give him a world of credit for what he done in 1984 and now I pray that this new adminstration finishes what was started in 1984. How about a 25 year historical statement made by the president on April 27, 2009. Now that would be true justice at the highest order. The new president has the power and I have a good feeling in my heart that he will take the right path for the University of Louisiana. _
    Hey, RDC, nice info! What you say makes a lot of sense. Did you speak to Vitale personally or hear someone else talk to him? If he really said that (and I am not doubting you), that is awesome. We need to get him to come down to Lafayette to speak.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information