Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

1. Default Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Here is the top 20 offensive lines according to size.

1-Ole Miss: Their line averages 6'4.4" tall and 334.2 lbs. per starter

2-Baylor: Always among the heftiest lines (avg. 6'6"& 328 lbs.)

3-Arkansas: (6'6.2" & 324 -- LT Dan Skipper tilts the scale more than a little at 6'10" 315)

4-LSU: (6'5.4" & 324 -- Both OG's are near 350 lbs.)

5-Utah: (6'3.4"- 321 lbs.)

. Tulane and Louisiana Tech, both average 313.2 lbs per man, ULM next 305.2 lbs. and the UL Ragin Cajuns average 295.4 lbs. How does size equate to success, you ask, well 12 of the preseason top 20 exceed the average.

Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

The bigger they are.the harder they fall!

3. Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    The bigger they are.the harder they fall!
    ----Man --how long has this argument been going on--I can remember the Bear wanting small linemen that were quicker because of their blocking technique---i can remember C-Mac at LSU wanting bigger after Neb. kicked their butt---he talked about their leverage---Is big strong or fast and quick----Yes the great ones are!!!

Didn't seem to help Tulane, Techie and LaMonroe High.

5. Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Didn't seem to help Tulane, Techie and LaMonroe High.
    ----You make my point!!! But remember we almost ____ed away the Tulane game and lost to Monroe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ----You make my point!!! But remember we almost ____ed away the Tulane game and lost to Monroe!!!
    We beat toolame with a hobbled QB who went down on a drive that was heading for the endzone and a backup QB with limited experience.

We lost to the Hoax throwing three picks in the endzone.

Don't see the size of lineman playing into those outcomes to any great extent.

7. Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    We beat toolame with a hobbled QB who went down on a drive that was heading for the endzone and a backup QB with limited experience.

We lost to the Hoax throwing three picks in the endzone.

Don't see the size of lineman playing into those outcomes to any great extent.
    The linemen don't go head to head so like you imply there is more at play than shear size.

On the other hand (I like to call linemen Time Machines) if the line can't buy or hold time, the QB will throw picks.

What is best?
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The linemen don't go head to head so like you imply there is more at play than shear size.

On the other hand (I like to call linemen Time Machines) if the line can't buy or hold time, the QB will throw picks.
    Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that most games are won or lost on the LOS. But in those games against Tulane and ULMost there were unusual factors that contributed more to the final outcomes.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The bigger (money) programs can recruit an athlete of that size. One of the reasons I very much wanted a Coach Hudspeth type coach for UL (not another coordinator that spent the majority of their critical time at a major program) is because Hud is not going to get fixated on how big a shadow OL or DL players cast. IF from the pool of athletes he's recruiting. there are significant drop-offs in foot speed and athleticism.

This article does not take into account that the most difficult athlete pool is lineman (to get good ones). And a national top program can find a behemoth that can still move. Programs that are not "top 25" had better not get wound up on height and weight averages. and had better recognize that a 6'2" 290 pound OL athlete will dominate a 6'6" 350 pound sloth all day every day.

I'm never fixated on these stats when it comes to the non top 25.

It's even stupid when you correlate the size of lineman among the national contenders, and not realize that they also have the best position players all over the field.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

You make my point!!! But remember we almost ____ed away the Tulane game and lost to Monroe!!!

Recent history:

We are 5-1 against ulmost and 2-0 against tool-lame.

Kwitcherbellyachin'.

12. Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Recent history:

We are 5-1 against ulmost and 2-0 against tool-lame.

Kwitcherbellyachin'.
    ---Damn Z--now you even got me being negative---But my point is that there is no big separation----I guess this is where the recruiting class comes into play---We have been killing Monroe but they play so hard against up that there is the human element of the underdog that comes into play---Tulane was very far down but their recruiting has picked up and along with good coaching it is starting to show---I think that Tech has really dropped but lost so much because of their former coach playing for a one year hauling ___ to some where else strategy (IT WORKED)! Now they haven't recruited too badly, but still way down from the one great year--Houston has it together--Memphis is trying to turn the corner (lost 2 good LBs to them but we got a great one) S Miss is a mess (I can only remember the Moore kid a former commit and JUCO transfer that we lost to them)---Scared to death of USA---They have improved so quickly as we witnessed last year---Rice, SMU, Tulsa, and N TEX don't seem to be much of a problem but we haven't been recruiting Texas too much!!!

Here's the question I have if you guys don't mind me contributing. Why did UL not play a traditional style spring football game this season? I hope it all works out this fall the way everyone is hoping, especially with the tremendous talent we have in the backfield and at wide receiver this year.

14. Default Re: Size Matters: College Football's Biggest Offensive Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Here's the question I have if you guys don't mind me contributing. Why did UL not play a traditional style spring football game this season? I hope it all works out this fall the way everyone is hoping, especially with the tremendous talent we have in the backfield and at wide receiver this year.
    ---I think that we were out of QBs---I think that even Haack was dinged a bit!!!

I believe the "0" line was banged up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information