Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sam Houston's Head Baseball

Default Re: Sam Houston's Head Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I think most of those things are supplied by your sponsors. I know Louisville Slugger provided the specially juiced bats we use, and I'm sure a number of other items are sponsor provided.
    I may be wrong, but I think that is true of big programs. Not necessarily of smaller schools. Kind of like the uniform deal. Adidas pays Michigan millions to wear their top of the line. We get a discount to purchase middle of the road gear. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think we get all of that for free.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    What are the expenses? Many people do not know how expensive running a baseball program is. How many dozens of baseballs do we go thru? Bats, gloves, cleats? How much does it cost to spend an entire weekend in a hotel and feed the team? How much did it cost to put the turf in a few years ago?
    UL Baseball has run in the black in recent years. I've not seen the last two years final budgets and expenses, but there is a strong possibility that we have done so the past two years. Baseball and Softball are budgeted very little outside of scholarships and equipment; that is why the external fundraisers are so important like the Diamond Club.

I may be wrong, but I think that is true of big programs. Not necessarily of smaller schools. Kind of like the uniform deal. Adidas pays Michigan millions to wear their top of the line. We get a discount to purchase middle of the road gear. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think we get all of that for free.
    This was from the Adidas press release. It says we get $1.3M in promotional gear over the five years of the contract.

ADIDAS INFORMATION
    Term of partnership: Agreement remains in effect from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2017 with an option to extend for two (2) subsequent twelve (12) month periods.

Promotional allotment: $1.3 million over five years.

Incentive Compensation: Adidas shall provide the University bonus amounts in any school year if the University achieves the applicable goals:

Football – Top 25 BCS Standings (end of year); bowl appearance; Conference Coach-of-the-Year award; use of Adidas footballs for games/practice.
    Baseball/softball – NCAA Regional appearance; NCAA Super Regional appearance; College World Series appearance; World Series National Champions
    Men's/Women's Basketball – NCAA Championships appearance; Sweet Sixteen appearance; use of Adidas basketballs for games/practice.
    All other sports – Conference Coach-of-the-Year award.

Marketing Benefits: Stadium signage at Cajun Field, M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field, Lamson Park, Cajundome, RaginCajuns.com.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    This was from the Adidas press release. It says we get $1.3M in promotional gear over the five years of the contract.

ADIDAS INFORMATION
    Term of partnership: Agreement remains in effect from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2017 with an option to extend for two (2) subsequent twelve (12) month periods.

Promotional allotment: $1.3 million over five years.

Incentive Compensation: Adidas shall provide the University bonus amounts in any school year if the University achieves the applicable goals:

Football – Top 25 BCS Standings (end of year); bowl appearance; Conference Coach-of-the-Year award; use of Adidas footballs for games/practice.
    Baseball/softball – NCAA Regional appearance; NCAA Super Regional appearance; College World Series appearance; World Series National Champions
    Men's/Women's Basketball – NCAA Championships appearance; Sweet Sixteen appearance; use of Adidas basketballs for games/practice.
    All other sports – Conference Coach-of-the-Year award.

Marketing Benefits: Stadium signage at Cajun Field, M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field, Lamson Park, Cajundome, RaginCajuns.com.
    How far does $1.3M go for all sports over 5 years? I was also just using Adidas as an example. I guarantee you that Louisville Slugger doesn't donate every bat or glove to the 100+ schools that use their equipment. We may get some for free, but there is an expense at some point.

I sure hope we can still get the "special" bats.

Has the announcement been made yet?

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Has the announcement been made yet?
    no

8. UL Baseball Re: Sam Houston's Head Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    UL Baseball has run in the black in recent years. I've not seen the last two years final budgets and expenses, but there is a strong possibility that we have done so the past two years. Baseball and Softball are budgeted very little outside of scholarships and equipment; that is why the external fundraisers are so important like the Diamond Club.
    You are right T, and I think they also have special funds for their support within the ticket structure, like an excellence fund similar to the old Ragin Cajun Club seating fund for football.

For those who do not understand funding I will use an analogy. While I was in the insurance claim business I was required to investigate fault on claims where the homeowner held the policy for the damages. Bad water heater, improper plumbing joint, bad float valve on a toilet all are opportunities for "subrogation". The company considered any money recovered through subrogation as found money, 100% profit, same for Hud, Robe, Lotief, and hopefully Brodhead, and Marlin in the near future, we go the expenses let them generate money all of which should be considered found money

UL has to field a certain number of sports some generate money, some not so much, and some none. Coaches, scholarships, all expenses are the responsibility of UL. Some programs create money, and some a lot of money. That is like the subrogation found money, we had expenses with the found money, but any money netted was 100% profit.

Robe is a uniquely successful coach. He is drawing, and has been drawing BCS type crowds. We play bigger than we are. Not only has he succeeded beyond any right to expect on the field for twenty plus seasons, he has succeeded in putting fans in the stands, and sponsors upon sponsor.

IMO for some to come out and compare the income he deserves to what is typical or what other baseball programs do is insulting. We had good crowds before Robe, but not top ten, nowhere close and that was before baseball was important. Same for Lotief. Folks we will have much the same expenses when both these men leave, and we will be damned lucky if we are near so successful on the field or in the stands. Count your blessings, feed the oxen. They pour far more money into the athletic coffers than is taken out.

Agreed 110%!!!

+ 1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    You are right T, and I think they also have special funds for their support within the ticket structure, like an excellence fund similar to the old Ragin Cajun Club seating fund for football.

For those who do not understand funding I will use an analogy. While I was in the insurance claim business I was required to investigate fault on claims where the homeowner held the policy for the damages. Bad water heater, improper plumbing joint, bad float valve on a toilet all are opportunities for "subrogation". The company considered any money recovered through subrogation as found money, 100% profit, same for Hud, Robe, Lotief, and hopefully Brodhead, and Marlin in the near future, we go the expenses let them generate money all of which should be considered found money

UL has to field a certain number of sports some generate money, some not so much, and some none. Coaches, scholarships, all expenses are the responsibility of UL. Some programs create money, and some a lot of money. That is like the subrogation found money, we had expenses with the found money, but any money netted was 100% profit.

Robe is a uniquely successful coach. He is drawing, and has been drawing BCS type crowds. We play bigger than we are. Not only has he succeeded beyond any right to expect on the field for twenty plus seasons, he has succeeded in putting fans in the stands, and sponsors upon sponsor.

IMO for some to come out and compare the income he deserves to what is typical or what other baseball programs do is insulting. We had good crowds before Robe, but not top ten, nowhere close and that was before baseball was important. Same for Lotief. Folks we will have much the same expenses when both these men leave, and we will be damned lucky if we are near so successful on the field or in the stands. Count your blessings, feed the oxen. They pour far more money into the athletic coffers than is taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post

For ease of numbers. Let's say the entire stadium was sold out on season tickets this year. We averaged 3,789 per game. The highest season ticket price is $150. Using that will offset the full price individual game tickets and cheaper season tickets. That is $568,350 in ticket sales for the entire regular season. What are the actual expenses? That is where you determine how much money we actually make. You can make $102 and spend $100 or $1,000,002 and spend $1,000,000. You still only have $2.

As a comparison. Sell out Cajun Field on GA season tickets and you generate $3,286,000 in ticket sales.

I pay $250 per seat in the boxes, but maybe $150 is an average.

12. Default

For ease of numbers. Let's say the entire stadium was sold out on season tickets this year. We averaged 3,789 per game. The highest season ticket price is $150. Using that will offset the full price individual game tickets and cheaper season tickets. That is $568,350 in ticket sales for the entire regular season. What are the actual expenses? That is where you determine how much money we actually make. You can make $102 and spend $100 or $1,000,002 and spend $1,000,000. You still only have $2.

As a comparison. Sell out Cajun Field on GA season tickets and you generate $3,286,000 in ticket sales.
    OK
    Hud a third (if sell out) $1mil
    Robe a third (did sell out) $189,000

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    OK
    Hud a third (if sell out) $1mil
    Robe a third (did sell out) $189,000
    I'm all for it if the numbers work out. Just looking for a better justification than "he puts people in the stands. Pay the man!"

14. Default

I'm all for it if the numbers work out. Just looking for a better justification than "he puts people in the stands. Pay the man!"
    Fans in stands represent income.

Wins represent outcome.

I want to pay the man and then some.

He puts the same number of fans in the stands as Baldwin did. Let's pay him what Baldwin made.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information