Thread: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Track & Field What if.(bowl prognostication)

Florida beats Alabama in a close game with a tad of controversy that went Florida's way in the end.

Mizzou takes down the Sooners.

Since Alabama's only loss came after the regular season to the #1 team in the nation in a close game with controversy, and both Texas and USC had a loss in regular season play to a currently lesser ranked opponent, while neither played in the post season.

Florida VS Alabama for the National Championship

Way too much time on my hands while waiting to see if UL goes bowling.

Default Re: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Most people who float that around say that Texas will end up in the BCS Title game, which I personally find pretty laughable because, just one year ago, everybody saying that now was saying that Georgia didn't deserve to get in because they didn't win their conference. If the unthinkable happens and Missouri beats Oklahoma, and USC does what they're going to do and crush UCLA, they - not Texas - should meet the winner of Florida/Alabama. Since 2002, people have been clamoring for USC vs. the best of the SEC to settle the great debate, and I don't want to get swept up in the Big XII wave and miss out on that potentially great game to satisfy the woe-is-Texas crowd.

Last season, Georgia lost to 6-6 South Carolina and 10-4 Tennessee. The loss to South Carolina was 16-12; against Tennessee it was 35-14.

The Longhorns lost to then-No. 6 Texas Tech on the final play of the game on the road, 39-33. That's after beating top 10 teams Oklahoma, Missouri and Oklahoma State in back-to-back-to-back weeks by an average of 13 points. They beat Oklahoma by 10.

If a 9-3 Missouri team beats a one-loss Oklahoma squad, I think Texas (11-1) would be a better opponent for the Alabama-Florida winner than anyone else in the field.

Track & Field Re: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Last season, Georgia lost to 6-6 South Carolina and 10-4 Tennessee. The loss to South Carolina was 16-12; against Tennessee it was 35-14.

The Longhorns lost to then-No. 6 Texas Tech on the final play of the game on the road, 39-33. That's after beating top 10 teams Oklahoma, Missouri and Oklahoma State in back-to-back-to-back weeks by an average of 13 points. They beat Oklahoma by 10.

If a 9-3 Missouri team beats a one-loss Oklahoma squad, I think Texas (11-1) would be a better opponent for the Alabama-Florida winner than anyone else in the field. _
    But, but, but.

Texas lost during regular season play as did USC, had Alabama not been obligated to play a conference championship they would remain undefeated in my scenario.

How can a team with a regular season loss (nevermind that their loss was to a lower ranked opponent) "deserve" the game more than a team that went undefeated in the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ But, but, but.

Texas lost during regular season play as did USC, had Alabama not been obligated to play a conference championship they would remain undefeated in my scenario.

How can a team with a regular season loss (nevermind that their loss was to a lower ranked opponent) "deserve" the game more than a team that went undefeated in the regular season? _
    I just don't see a rematch of Alabama and Florida in the BCS championship game if the Gators win the SEC title.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ I just don't see a rematch of Alabama and Florida in the BCS championship game if the Gators win the SEC title. _
    Agreed.

Track & Field Re: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    _ Agreed. _
    Bah, you guys are no fun.

If you had college students at Oxford (England) that know nothing of college football put it to a vote based on merit alone, Alabama is in.and since "people" have a vote in this, you never know what mischief and mayhem they may vote for :-)

It would certainly turn college football on it's ear if it happened, and would provide the fastest possible path to a playoff plan IMO.

So teams that played on the last weekend of the season have played for the national championship before. Although it was before the BCS, In the 1997 sugar bowl, #1 FSU played #3 Florida for the national championship about a month after FSU beat Florida to end the regular season. Arizona State was #2, but back then, the Pac 10 winner had to go to the Rose bowl. So the bowl alliance agreed to have the sugar bowl be the national championship game. And, we all remember the same thing happened the next year with Michigan and Nebraska, which brought about the system that we all know and love, the BCS. Anything is possible when the writers have a vote and we use computer calculations that nobody understands. Geaux Cajuns!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaCajun View Post
    _ So teams that played on the last weekend of the season have played for the national championship before. Although it was before the BCS, In the 1997 sugar bowl, #1 FSU played #3 Florida for the national championship about a month after FSU beat Florida to end the regular season. Arizona State was #2, but back then, the Pac 10 winner had to go to the Rose bowl. So the bowl alliance agreed to have the sugar bowl be the national championship game. And, we all remember the same thing happened the next year with Michigan and Nebraska, which brought about the system that we all know and love, the BCS. Anything is possible when the writers have a vote and we use computer calculations that nobody understands. Geaux Cajuns!!!!!!!! _
    Yup, you got it.the BCS has not fixed much, if anything.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, shoot it! And this sucker is quacking.

10. UL Football Re: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    _ Most people who float that around say that Texas will end up in the BCS Title game, which I personally find pretty laughable because, just one year ago, everybody saying that now was saying that Georgia didn't deserve to get in because they didn't win their conference. If the unthinkable happens and Missouri beats Oklahoma, and USC does what they're going to do and crush UCLA, they - not Texas - should meet the winner of Florida/Alabama. Since 2002, people have been clamoring for USC vs. the best of the SEC to settle the great debate, and I don't want to get swept up in the Big XII wave and miss out on that potentially great game to satisfy the woe-is-Texas crowd. _
    There is nothing that warrants placing USC ahead of Texas this year. And thus, USC will not jump Texas in the BCS standings. USC is where they should be at #5.

Also, the unthinkable (Missouri beating Oklahoma) does not have to occur to have the BCS messed up even further. There is a chance that Texas could jump Oklahoma in the BCS standings, even with an Oklahoma win over Missouri. Oklahoma could fall just enough in the computer rankings (by virtue of having to play Missouri) that Texas could nudge them out in the overall BCS average. Texas is still favored overall by the voters over Oklahoma.

I would be interested in knowing which two coaches voted Oklahoma #1 in the latest coaches poll. If these votes hold, we will know shortly (we know one).

I think we are likely to see a Florida - Oklahoma title game, with Texas having an outside shot.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I think we are likely to see a Florida - Oklahoma title game, with Texas having an outside shot.
    I'm gonna go with a Bama - OU title game. But I agree Texas is lurking! If Oklahoma stumbles (not necessarily losing), I think UT is right in there for a shot at the BCS title.

12. UL Football Re: What if.(bowl prognostication)

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ I'm gonna go with a Bama - OU title game. But I agree Texas is lurking! If Oklahoma stumbles (not necessarily losing), I think UT is right in there for a shot at the BCS title. _
    Percy Harvin will not play for the Gators. That is too bad. I have been looking forward (for several weeks now) to seeing him matchup against the Alabama defense.

Brian

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    _ Percy Harvin will not play for the Gators. That is too bad. I have been looking forward (for several weeks now) to seeing him matchup against the Alabama defense.

Brian _
    My adopted home town is on fire!! Tuscaloosa is an amazing college town.

Best of luck to them today!

Z

Thread Information