Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bowl talk

Default Bowl talk

Driving home from work, caught the last hour of BEV and BOP was talking about the Cajuns postseason fate.

He mentioned that if Rutgers, Troy, and Arizona all win (as expected), there will be 5 bowls with openings (Papajohns.com, St. Pete, Independence, Motor City, and Hawaii). There is just one team that MUST be selected for one of those 5 bowl games, Western Michigan, which cannot go to the Motor City Bowl in Detroit because the MAC champion is going there. They have 7 wins and therefore must be selected before any of the 6-6 teams. Problem is, NONE of the 5 bowls want Western Michigan (and who could blame them).

BOP mentioned from his source with ties to the NCAA that if none of the bowls select WMU by Sunday, the 5 bowls would be literally/figuratively placed into a hat. The first one drawn gets their choice of any bowl eligible team (ND, NCSU, UL, etc.). Obviously, the first bowl chosen will pick ND. However, ND could say "No thanks," but if they do, they are saying no to the other bowls. However, one bowl MUST still pick WMU, which will likely be the last bowl left in the hat.

For instance, if Texas and I-Bowl are the first chosen, our bowl chances don't look too good because they will snap up ND and NCSU. If Hawaii and Motor City are picked first, they will take ND and NCSU, which makes our chances look better as Texas, Indy, and papajohns.com are still open.

None of this will get settled until after Saturday's Troy-ASU and Zona-Zona State games.

Default Re: Bowl talk

This makes sense to me. I shall run with it.

3. Default Re: Bowl talk

I'm pulling for Troy, Louisville and Arizona State

Right now it is 9 teams vying for five slots with only 1 (Western Michigan having a guaranteed spot somewhere. So what you really have is 8 for 4

I am still trying to decide if it is better for UL if the number of 7 win teams rises or if the number of 6 win teams rises. I think we need more 6 win teams on the table.

As it stands UL has a 50% shot at a bowl. That will change.

If ASU (Ark State) wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 7 for 3 (42% chance)

If Arizona wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 6 for 2 (33%)

If Rutgers wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 5 for 1 (20%) With Notre Dame being one of the 6-6 available that effectively makes the chance zero.

If more teams are 6-6 . . .

If Troy wins it remains 50% for UL

If Louisville wins it becomes 9 for 4 (44%)

If ASU (Arizona State) wins it becomes 10 for 4 (40%) or 9 for 3 (33%) if you cosider Notre Dame a lock.

I would rather take my chances with 9 teams and 3 spots considering our location.

T.V. 10, klfy, just reported that they learned that New Orleans Bowl officials were at the game last night and that if Troy were to beat ASU, Troy would go to Papajohns and we may go to New Orleans Bowl.

I don't know how they can report this when our commisioner has already said this will not happen. Why would N.O. Bowl officials even be in attendance if it is not a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I'm pulling for Troy, Louisville and Arizona State

Right now it is 9 teams vying for five slots with only 1 (Western Michigan having a guaranteed spot somewhere. So what you really have is 8 for 4

I am still trying to decide if it is better for UL if the number of 7 win teams rises or if the number of 6 win teams rises. I think we need more 6 win teams on the table.

If ASU (Ark State) wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 7 for 3 (42% chance)

If Arizona wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 6 for 2 (33%)

If Rutgers wins they lock up a spot somewhere as a 7 win team. This would make the pool 5 for 1 (20%) With Notre Dame being one of the 6-6 available that effectively makes the chance zero.

If ASU (Arizona State) wins it becomes 10 for 4 (40%) or 9 for 3 (33%) if you cosider Notre Dame a lock.

I would rather take my chances with 9 teams and 3 spots considering our location. _
    You want Rutgers to beat Louisville. A Louisville win gets them to 6 wins and we don't want that to happen. Rutgers getting to 7 wins does nothing to the at-large picture. They are already tied into a bowl game. They won't snap up one of openings.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I'm pulling for Troy, Louisville and Arizona State

I would rather take my chances with 9 teams and 3 spots considering our location. _
    Geez Turbine, you're way smarter than me dude! Anyway, if louisville wins, they're a 6-6 team we weren't planning on competing against for one of these spots.

If louisville loses, they're 5-7. Rutgers is going to a big east bowl regardless.

Did I miss something?

If not, geaux Rutgers!!!

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ T.V. 10, klfy, just reported that they learned that New Orleans Bowl officials were at the game last night and that if Troy were to beat ASU, Troy would go to Papajohns and we may go to New Orleans Bowl.

I don't know how they can report this when our commisioner has already said this will not happen. Why would N.O. Bowl officials even be in attendance if it is not a possibility. _
    Agh! More confusion.

8. Default Re: Bowl talk

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Geez Turbine, you're way smarter than me dude! Anyway, if louisville wins, they're a 6-6 team we weren't planning on competing against for one of these spots.

If louisville loses, they're 5-7. Rutgers is going to a big east bowl regardless.

Did I miss something?

If not, geaux Rutgers!!! _
    Thanks I didn't check to see if Rutgers was Big East overflow or not. thanks for clearing that up.

So now I'm pulling for Troy, Rutgers and Arizona State

ps you've way more common sense than me dude! and smarter too

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Agh! More confusion. _
    No confusion. Just terrible reporting.

There was no reason for the NO Bowl to be at Cajun Field last night. We are not going to the NO Bowl. The NCAA won't allow it.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bowl talk

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ No confusion. Just terrible reporting.

There was no reason for the NO Bowl to be at Cajun Field last night. We are not going to the NO Bowl. The NCAA won't allow it. _
    Maybe we were just being friendly to them. We did have folks from USA here last night. Maybe they want to get tips on putting on a very family oriented event.

You haven't pulled your sig yet? Do we need to get to a bowl before you pull it?

11. Default Re: Bowl talk

According to Ardoin---they were blown away--very impressed with the tailgating and crowd and game--I think it will take then a while to get it up and going---but they have a great recruiting area!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ No confusion. Just terrible reporting.

There was no reason for the NO Bowl to be at Cajun Field last night. We are not going to the NO Bowl. The NCAA won't allow it. _
    Maybe these are one of those rules that could be broken? If Troy wants to go to Birmingham and we want to go to NOLA and NOLA would love to have a UL vs. USM game then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ Maybe these are one of those rules that could be broken? If Troy wants to go to Birmingham and we want to go to NOLA and NOLA would love to have a UL vs. USM game then why not? _
    Because we want another week to heal and, of course, we get to play in snow, which is always cool!!! (Anyone remember that I-Bowl game between Miss St and aTm where it was pouring snow and both teams wore white jerseys? That looked like fun!

That's how thread hijacking is done, folks!

Sorry.carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ Maybe these are one of those rules that could be broken? If Troy wants to go to Birmingham and we want to go to NOLA and NOLA would love to have a UL vs. USM game then why not? _
    The NCAA won't allow a 7 (or 8) win team to be replaced by a 6 win team in a contracted tie-in. The 7+ win team must be placed in the bowl game before any 6 win team.

Personally - i would rather go to shreveport - yeah i said it, so there! I can go to N.O. anytime i want to. We all might actually be able to start something in S'port. N.O. has seen it all and 20K cajuns won't even be noticed. Now, S'port.wait 'til they get a load of us!

I-bowl baby!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information