Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Pirogue's Game Room

Default Pirogue's Game Room

Check it out.

2. Default

What is the story behind the 1943 UL style helmet hanging over Ross's jersey?

It's a Mich Helmet [mini]
    don't know where it came from

4. Default

Originally posted by pirogue
    It's a Mich Helmet [mini]
    don't know where it came from
    Ironic that UL used that style (not color) in 1943.

An undefeated season

Wasnt that style pretty commonly used back then?

6. Default

Originally posted by CajunRebel
    Wasnt that style pretty commonly used back then?
    If it was a manufacturers style probably so. Only Michigan built a real identity around it.

Nice room. Enough todrive a woman crazy. My wife would kill me.

Originally posted by Turbine
    If it was a manufacturers style probably so. Only Michigan built a real identity around it.
    Actually, shortly after the introduction of the forward pass in college football, Princeton's coach had the design put on their helmets so that the quarterback could more easily spot "his" receivers.

His success at princeton got him the job at Michigan, and he implemented the same design there using their colors.

I only know this because I remember reading somewhere that Princeton was putting that design on their helmets again, and the story was in response to "copying" Michigan.

Talk about useless trivia, but Turbine for a while, many schools that passed the ball a lot used the design. evidently the Cajuns did in the 40's.

9. Default

Originally posted by pirogue
    Talk about useless trivia, but Turbine for a while, many schools that passed the ball a lot used the design. evidently the Cajuns did in the 40's.

Not useless, just used less. Very, very interesting.

The design was on UL helmets for other years but they didn't paint it, and because of this it barely shows up in the full size pictures much less the avatar size used in the project.

Thank you for your insight, contributions (pictures) and expertise.

ps You may be right about the Cajuns passing in 1943. At least one writer refered to Alvin Dark as the "Bulldog Bomber" during the undefeated season of 43.

You could charge admission. I have a question. What is that poster of Mitchell and Stokley together?

Originally posted by Chuck
    You could charge admission. I have a question. What is that poster of Mitchell and Stokley together?
    That was on the inside cover of last years [or the year before's] media guide

Originally posted by CDeb
    My wife would kill me.
    Therein lies the problem, Happy anniversary.

This is very cool and very frustrating, but only because I am jealous. What is that pave our lake thing?

Originally posted by Turner
    What is that pave our lake thing?
    That is a joke bumper sticker from Dixie Building Materials in New Orleans. In a bit of history, they were awarded a potential contract to form man-made islands that would be sub-divided, sold and the money would be used to form a series of bridges connecting the southshore [Metairie] to the Northshore [Mandeville]. the idea was scrapped in favor of what we today know as the "Causeway".
    It was a joke making fun of the "Save our Lake" campaign stickers, the joke was considered "extremely" political incorrect and met the same fate as the man-made island project.
    The stickers are sort of a hard-to-find novelty in the New Orleans area.
    I was asked to remove it from the wall of my office as it might offend customers.

Imagine that. But it is part of my collection, and has found a home in my game room, a game room doomed if I ever hear the words. "We're having another baby."

Great collection, very impressive

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information