Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helmet History at Louisiana

1. Default Re: The Historical Football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

I'm looking for pictures to update this project.

Better larger, anything you have to offer, thanks

Default Re: The Historical Football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
    Amazing work, Turb.
    Did you finish your Masters? Are you coming back to Cajun Country? My son is currently at UL in Civil Engineering!

3. UL Football Re: The Historical football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    You know I really miss the red helmet with the double stripe. We need to get rid of the gaudy "Ragin Cajuns" flaming helmet.
    Gay looking to say the least. But, but it is similar to Florida Gators sprawled across their helmets. Yea theirs suck too. Now Destin and I see all things Ragin Cajuns alike, but not so politics, life, food, I prefer goat, he prefers kangaroo, and I am for this flower to represent us. It has zero resemblance to the lean Saints FDL.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    They wore a solid GOLD helmet in 1961??(The year I was born, by the way!!) :confused:

Does ANYONE know why???

Whitey Urban was hired by President Fletcher in 1960 as Athletic Director to elevate the overall athletic programs.

Urban was a coach at Georgia Tech and protégé of Bobby Dodd.

Dobb emphasized character and the student athlete as part of his coaching philosophy, and Georgia Tech wore gold helmets during that time period.

President Fletcher wanted the Georgia Tech philosophy infused into all athletic programs, and the gold helmets were instituted.

5. UL Football Re: The Historical Football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Whitey Urban was hired by President Fletcher in 1960 as Athletic Director to elevate the overall athletic programs.

Urban was a coach at Georgia Tech and protégé of Bobby Dodd.

Dobb emphasized character and the student athlete as part of his coaching philosophy, and Georgia Tech wore gold helmets during that time period.

President Fletcher wanted the Georgia Tech philosophy infused into all athletic programs, and the gold helmets were instituted.
    So I guess all the yellow crap being sold as UL gear is left over from that thinking. Whitey Urban killed UL basketball. Not a gold letter day at USL. President Fletcher threw Shipley under the bus, again not a gold letter day for the president.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So I guess all the yellow crap being sold as UL gear is left over from that thinking. Whitey Urban killed UL basketball. Not a gold letter day at USL. President Fletcher threw Shipley under the bus, again not a gold letter day for the president.
    How did Urban kill basketball, and how did Fletcher throw Shipley under the bus?
    Interesting perspective.
    Thanks
    PS - the gold helmets were just used for a few years ... then changed to USL.

7. Default Re: The Historical Football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Looks like I have some catching up to do

Is that Boomer in that 1912 image? Sure looks like him.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I'm a huge fan of the Acadian flag and I thought I would like it on a helmet but looking at these, now I'm not so sure. This weekends helmets are great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Acadian flag and I thought I would like it on a helmet but looking at these, now I'm not so sure. This weekends helmets are great though!
    the ones we wore back in the day, circa early 70's didnt have the flag waving like the one in the snap chat. i think it would look better if it wasnt "waving"

11. Default Re: The Historical Football Helmets of the University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    the ones we wore back in the day, circa early 70's didnt have the flag waving like the one in the snap chat. i think it would look better if it wasnt "waving"
    If you are going to do a flag waving you must invest in alternate direction logos so that the pole is by the facemask on both sides.

Otherwise go stationary

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If you are going to do a flag waving you must invest in alternate direction logos so that the pole is by the facemask on both sides.

Otherwise go stationary
    Maybe it just looks a little strange without a stripe on the helmet. Or maybe its because the white portion of the flag disappears on the white helmet.
    Someone do a mockup of a helmet with the Acadian flag covering the entire helmet a la Maryland. Even though I hate that helmet.

13. UL Football History of UL Football Helmets

The program has used 35 different helmets.

14. Default Re: Helmet History at Louisiana

I never counted the variations but if 35 is correct, I'd like 36 to just say LOUISIANA.

Default Re: Helmet History at Louisiana

Would it be possible to put the acadiana flag on a red helmet? Or would the red not show? Fdl on one side acadiana flag on other? Or the sticker from tbe back as primary design

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information