Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Notes from Coach Robichaux interview on the Cajun Redzone Show

Default Notes from Coach Robichaux interview on the Cajun Redzone Show

Coach Robichaux interviewed with me tonight on the Cajun Redzone and here are some of the notes from the show. I won’t spend anytime reviewing his comments from the championship game because his comments have been noted in interviews the past few days.

On the subject of facilities: He mentioned that the national coverage of the team and regionals has changed the conversation on the facilities and the needs of investing into the program. To that point, I mentioned that the over flow crowds and the number of fans watching the game outside the stadium in fact only increased the awareness that the investment is needed. He stated that “The new facilities are needed and the fans, former players and supporters deserve better.”

Finishing in the Top 10 in Attendance: We have some of the best fans in the country and they’ve been attending games in large numbers for some time now. There is no doubt that our fans have shown a new stadium would be not be an empty field.

2015 Schedule: Coach said that they will have to season a very young team early on the road opening the season at U. Texas San Antonio, Stony Brook at home and Alabama on the road. The Cajuns will also play LSU in the Wally Pontiff Classic in New Orleans next season. The Cajuns will also host South Alabama, Arkansas State, Troy, ULM, UALR and App. State or Georgia Southern. In 2016, the Cajuns will return to the Minute Maid Classic College Tournament in Houston.

On who is returning at this point: On Michael Strentz possibly returning, Coach stated that he believes that some team will come in late and offer Strentz money to sign as a free agent similar to what happened to Dex Kjerstad last season. This is how he broke down the roster for the fall and competition at each position.

Pitching
    Returning

LHP Conner Toups- Coach said that he believes Toups could have a breakout season in 2015.
    LHP Riley Cooper
    RHP Martin Anderson
    RHP Hayden Guidry
    RHP Chris Charpentier
    RHP Nick Zaunbrecher
    RHP Trace Guidry
    RHP Regan Bazar

New Signees

LHP Gunner Leger- 17-0, 1.55 ERA
    LHP Trey Jeans
    LHP Ty Ewart
    RHP Wyatt Marks
    RHP Harrison Fife
    RHP Evan Guillory
    RHP Alex Shelton
    RHP Orynn Veillon
    RHP Blaine Suehs
    RHP Colton Lee

Note: Dylan Moore RHP has not signed his papers…did not discuss

Catchers
    L/R Nick Thurman
    R/R Evan Powell
    R/R Logan Stoelke

1st Base
    R/R Greg Davis
    R/R Joe Trahan
    L/L Gunner Leger

2nd Base
    R/R Joe Robbins
    R/R Stefan Trosclair

SS
    R/R Blake Trahan

3rd Base
    L/R Brenn Conrad
    R/R Kennon Fontenot - .489 BA/21 HRs/69 RBI

Outfield
    R/R Adam Angelle
    R/R Dylan Butler
    L/R Kyle Clement
    L/L Nolan Brown
    R/R Brian Mills
    R/R Cole Jackson
    R/R Derek Herrington
    R/R Orynn Vellion

Recruiting Class- Coach agreed with me that this class is very athletic and the pitchers have stature. They wanted to sign athletes that were similar to what we’ve had the past two seasons and that is the model they are following. This group isn’t as physical yet because they have been in the weight and conditioning program for one year yet, but they have the potential to be that type of players.

Coach said the fall will be critical to see which athletes are willing to buy into the offseason program and each returning player was asked if they were on board with doing that again because those are the guys that will be setting the example for the younger kids. He said last year 90% committed to toughening out the program and those that didn’t were not in the program.

These are just a few notes, we didn’t have him for an hour. Jay will have coach longer tomorrow, so I’m sure he will have a few more details. I didn’t type his comments about some of the young athletes because it’s so late, but we talked about a hand full in detail.

Default Re: Notes from Coach Robichaux interview on the Cajun Redzone Show

No mention of Milhorn?

T,
    Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    2015 Schedule: Coach said that they will have to season a very young team early on the road opening the season at U. Texas San Antonio, Stony Brook at home and Alabama on the road.
    It looks like we will find out the type of team we will have early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    No mention of Milhorn?
    No, I took it that he will not be returning. Should have caught that and asked him.

I'm taking it Baranik is gone to?

I hope we have a rebuilding year just like the Cajun softball team did this year. :>)

CC

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    I'm taking it Baranik is gone to?
    I'm guessing they are preparing for all the possible departures and if they come back, it's lagniappe. At least, that's what I hope.

Thanks for the great notes T.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Coach Robichaux interviewed with me tonight on the Cajun Redzone and here are some of the notes from the show. I won’t spend anytime reviewing his comments from the championship game because his comments have been noted in interviews the past few days.

On the subject of facilities: He mentioned that the national coverage of the team and regionals has changed the conversation on the facilities and the needs of investing into the program. To that point, I mentioned that the over flow crowds and the number of fans watching the game outside the stadium in fact only increased the awareness that the investment is needed. He stated that “The new facilities are needed and the fans, former players and supporters deserve better.”

Finishing in the Top 10 in Attendance: We have some of the best fans in the country and they’ve been attending games in large numbers for some time now. There is no doubt that our fans have shown a new stadium would be not be an empty field.

2015 Schedule: Coach said that they will have to season a very young team early on the road opening the season at U. Texas San Antonio, Stony Brook at home and Alabama on the road. The Cajuns will also play LSU in the Wally Pontiff Classic in New Orleans next season. The Cajuns will also host South Alabama, Arkansas State, Troy, ULM, UALR and App. State or Georgia Southern. In 2016, the Cajuns will return to the Minute Maid Classic College Tournament in Houston.

On who is returning at this point: On Michael Strentz possibly returning, Coach stated that he believes that some team will come in late and offer Strentz money to sign as a free agent similar to what happened to Dex Kjerstad last season. This is how he broke down the roster for the fall and competition at each position.

Pitching
    Returning

LHP Conner Toups- Coach said that he believes Toups could have a breakout season in 2015.
    LHP Riley Cooper
    RHP Martin Anderson
    RHP Hayden Guidry
    RHP Chris Charpentier
    RHP Nick Zaunbrecher
    RHP Trace Guidry
    RHP Regan Bazar

New Signees

LHP Gunner Leger- 17-0, 1.55 ERA
    LHP Trey Jeans
    LHP Ty Ewart
    RHP Wyatt Marks
    RHP Harrison Fife
    RHP Evan Guillory
    RHP Alex Shelton
    RHP Orynn Veillon
    RHP Blaine Suehs
    RHP Colton Lee

Note: Dylan Moore RHP has not signed his papers…did not discuss

Catchers
    L/R Nick Thurman
    R/R Evan Powell
    R/R Logan Stoelke

1st Base
    R/R Greg Davis
    R/R Joe Trahan
    L/L Gunner Leger

2nd Base
    R/R Joe Robbins
    R/R Stefan Trosclair

SS
    R/R Blake Trahan

3rd Base
    L/R Brenn Conrad
    R/R Kennon Fontenot - .489 BA/21 HRs/69 RBI

Outfield
    R/R Adam Angelle
    R/R Dylan Butler
    L/R Kyle Clement
    L/L Nolan Brown
    R/R Brian Mills
    R/R Cole Jackson
    R/R Derek Herrington
    R/R Orynn Vellion

Recruiting Class- Coach agreed with me that this class is very athletic and the pitchers have stature. They wanted to sign athletes that were similar to what we’ve had the past two seasons and that is the model they are following. This group isn’t as physical yet because they have been in the weight and conditioning program for one year yet, but they have the potential to be that type of players.

Coach said the fall will be critical to see which athletes are willing to buy into the offseason program and each returning player was asked if they were on board with doing that again because those are the guys that will be setting the example for the younger kids. He said last year 90% committed to toughening out the program and those that didn’t were not in the program.

These are just a few notes, we didn’t have him for an hour. Jay will have coach longer tomorrow, so I’m sure he will have a few more details. I didn’t type his comments about some of the young athletes because it’s so late, but we talked about a hand full in detail.
    I believe that Southern Miss comes to Lafayette next year as well.

Are there any issues with Dylan Moore not signing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Antiwac View Post
    I believe that Southern Miss comes to Lafayette next year as well.
    Southern Miss is not on the schedule in 2015 or 2016. Next year we have a bye week which means only three weekends pre conference so we had to scratch that.

And, the tournament at Minute Maid in 16 forced the cancellation of that series as well.

Jackson State was also coming in for a weekend series unless that's changed

They are. That's during the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    They are. That's during the bye week.
    Gross. I'd love to get away from RPI killers on the weekends.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information