Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Dare I ask.are we going to a bowl game?

Default Dare I ask.are we going to a bowl game?

Pls don't implode, I certainly don't follow the bowl scenarios very well.

Default Re: Dare I ask.are we going to a bowl game?

Gotta get win #6 firstand that's not a given any more.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Dare I ask.are we going to a bowl game?

Even if we DO win in 2 weeks, it would still be a VERY long shot.

No

Quote Originally Posted by MakoMaker View Post
    _ Pls don't implode, I certainly don't follow the bowl scenarios very well. _
    Do they still have the Yam Bowl in Opelousas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ Gotta get win #6 firstand that's not a given any more. _
    Yeah, of course, Middle Tennessee has won 3 in a row, I think, just in time for us to play them.

Not that it matters. 6-6 wouldn't get us into a bowl, anyway. No bowl committee will want a team that went 1-3 over the last month in their bowl.

Back to reality for us Cajun fans. It doesn't look like we are EVER going to be any good in football.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    _ Yeah, of course, Middle Tennessee has won 3 in a row, I think, just in time for us to play them.

Not that it matters. 6-6 wouldn't get us into a bowl, anyway. No bowl committee will want a team that went 1-3 over the last month in their bowl.

Back to reality for us Cajun fans. It doesn't look like we are EVER going to be any good in football. _
    The winner of our game will very, very likely go to a bowl game. Birmingham is beautiful in December

When we beat MT we will be 6-6 and bowl eligible and my prediction is we will get into a bowl game. With Fla. Atl. losing last night we are guaranteed no worse than second place in the SBC.

Arkansas lost yesterday and cannot get bowl eligible. Auburn must beat Alabama next weekend to get bowl eligible and this is not likely to happen. So it looks like the SEC will only have 8 teams bowl eligible out of the 9 bowl tie-ins they have. This will leave either the papajohns and/or the independence bowl open for a SBC. If Florida beats Alabama in the SEC championship game we will most likely see 2 SEC teams in BCS games and this will open up a 2nd SEC tie-in game for an at-large team. Remember the the pappajohns and Independence bowls must take a 6-6 SBC team if the SEC cannot fulfill their allotment or if their are not other 7-5 teams avaliable.

The Big XII currently has 7 teams eligible for a bowl game with just Colorado still able to get eligible. Colorado must beat Nebraska at Nebraska next week to get to 6 wins and bowl eligible. If Colorado loses the Big XII can only fulfill 7 of their 9 bowl tie-ins. The 2 remaining bowls can and will be filled by a Big East team and Notre Dame. If Oklahoma wins out the Big XII may have 2 teams in BCS games and this this will open up one of the Big XII bowl tie-ins such as the Texas bowl or Independence bowl.

The Big East has 6 bowl eligible teams with 7 bowl tie-ins. Louisville can still get eligible with a win next week at Rutgers. Notre Dame will grab one of the remaining spots as Notre Dame, Big XII, and Big East share 2 tie-ins. Once again like the SEC if the Big XII gets 2 teams into the BCS this could open up another bowl. If both Louisville and Colorado lose then either a Big XII bowl (Texas or Independence) or a Big East bowl (either St. Pete or pappajohn) will be open for a SBC team.

CUSA currently has 4 teams bowl eligible out of 6 bowl tie-ins games. Southern Miss., Memphis, and UTEP can still get bowl eligible with a win next weekend. Southern Miss plays @ SMU, Memphis plays at home against Tulane, and UTEP plays @ East Carolina. A lot of things can still happen here. CUSA can fulfill all bowl tie-ins plus have one extra or all 3 of the above mentioned teams could lose and CUSA would have 2 bowls open. What the SBC is hoping is at least 2 of the 3 teams will lose and this would open up the St. Petersburg.

The PAC 10 currently has only 5 teams bowl eligible out of 7 bowl tie-ins. Arizona St. and UCLA still has a chance to get bowl eligible as they are both 4-6 and must both win their last 2 games. Arizona St. plays UCLA and @ Arizona. UCLA plays @ Arizona St. and USC. Since they play each other at least one team will be eliminated from eligibility and both of their other games they will both be underdogs. So the PAC 10 will have 1 or 2 bowl tie-ins that they cannot fulfill.

The ACC already has 9 teams bowl eligible and 2 more teams North Carolina St. and Virginia must win their last game to get eligible. NC St. plays Miami and Virginia @ Virginia Tech. The ACC has 8 bowl tie-ins so they will fulfill all and maybe take away but we must remember the secondary bowl tie-ins for the SBC states that they will only take a 7-5 team from another conference before a 6-6 SBC team. The bad thing is the ACC already has 7 teams with 7+ wins and 2 other teams can get to 7 wins (Clemson plays South Carolina and Wake Forest plays Vandy). So the ACC will fulfill all their bowl tie-ins plus may grab extra bowls.

The Big Ten will fulfill 7/7 bowl tie-ins and they have no one else eligible.

The WAC has 5 bowl eligible teams with 3 bowl tie-ins. Boise St., La Tech, and Fresno St. will fulfill the 3 bowl tie-ins. Nevada is 6-5, San Jose is 6-6, and Hawaii is 6-5 but plays a 13 game season so they could drop below .500 or they could get to 7 wins. So the WAC could potentially grab 2 at-large games from a 6-6 SBC team.

The MAC has 5 bowl eligible teams and 2 more can get eligible. They have 3 bowl tie-ins and they will fill all 3 plus they will grab at least 1 at-large game because they have 4 teams with 7 or more wins. Also Northern Illinois can also get to 7 wins if they beat Navy.

The Mountain West has 5 bowl eligible teams with 4 bowl tie-ins. Colorado St. is 6-6 so they cannot take a bowl from the SBC.

In order of importance in my opinion these are the teams we need to lose along with a win against Mid Tenn.
    1. Auburn @ Alabama
    2. Colorado @ Nebrasda
    3. The SEC gets 2 teams into the BCS (Florida and Alabama)
    4. The Big XII gets 2 teams into the BCS (Oklahoma and Texas)
    5. At least 2 out of 3 teams from CUSA loses next week (So. Miss @ SMU, Memphis vs. Tulane, and UTEP @ East Carolina)
    6. Louisville loses @ Rutgers and the Big East cannot fulfill their allotment
    7. Arizona St. and UCLA each lose 1 of 2 remaining games and PAC 10 cannot fullfill their allotment.
    8. a.) Clemson loses to Wake Forest, b.) Vandy loses to So Carolina, c.) Hawaii loses to both Washington St. and Cincy, d.) Neveda loses to La Tech and e.) Ark St. loses at least one to either North Texas or Troy. These teams can get to 7 wins and grab an at-large from a 6-6 SBC team.

The only bowl I would like to see us go to would be the New Orleans bowl. Perhaps Troy will get a better offer and we can sneak in. Is Troy tied to the NOLA Bowl? I don't see how we could beat anyone right now but 25,000 crazed Cajun fans on national TV would be good exposure for us and generate some hope.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ The only bowl I would like to see us go to would be the New Orleans bowl. Perhaps Troy will get a better offer and we can sneak in. Is Troy tied to the NOLA Bowl? I don't see how we could beat anyone right now but 25,000 crazed Cajun fans on national TV would be good exposure for us and generate some hope. _
    If Troy is offered the Papajohns bowl, the NO Bowl would happily release them. From there, the NO Bowl would pick a 7-5 sun belt school. If none exists, they have their pick from the 6-6 sun belt schools.

Presumably, that would be us. But like you said, who could we really beat right now? (besides the UL basketball team)

Sorry everyone, do you really think we should be in a bowl game this year. We have a team that went on a little run, beat a few teams all with losing records, now have lost 3 in a row, not by any close margins. We had a moment in the spotlight but with the injuries and a million excuses, blew it. Remember that week before HC when life was great when it came to our football programgee the good old days.even as few as they were.good luck boys against MT.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by USL Alum93 View Post
    _ Sorry everyone, do you really think we should be in a bowl game this year.

Probably not. But wouldn't you take it if it came?

A bowl game would be a great gift to the fans, and more importantly a great way to send out the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ Gotta get win #6 firstand that's not a given any more. _
    Middle is like 1-5 on the road this season with that one win coming at Western. The Cajun's haven't lost a conference home game this season. If I was a "true Cajun fan", I would like my chances in this game.injuries or not.

A question bout your Coach Bustle statement: since he was retained after his 6th season, when his program was toward the bottom of the conference standings, what would be the logic in dismissing him after his 7th season when his program will be toward the top of the conference standings?

nm

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information