Thread: High note

1. UL Baseball Cajuns Prepare To Finish Season On a High Note

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns baseball team will return from a seven game road trip this Wednesday night to face in-state rival Nicholls State at 6:30 pm. The Cajuns will be looking to avenge a 15-5 loss in Thibodeaux earlier in the season and return to Moore Field after going 6-1 on the recent road trip with a conference sweep in New Orleans and two wins against a Nebraska team ranked as high as fourth in the nation.

Louisiana stands just a game and a half out of first place in the Sun Belt standings with six conference games remaining, a road trip this weekend against Arkansas State and a final home series against South Alabama. The Cajuns have won eight of their last nine games and find themselves just three games under the .500 mark after opening the season just 7-20.

The Ragin’ Cajuns pitching staff currently leads the Sun Belt conference with a combined 4.40 ERA on the year. The Cajun bats have played a key role in turning around the season and since entering conference play hitting just .236 as a team the Cajuns have increased their season average to .275 and are currently tops in the Sun Belt with a .308 average in conference games. Junior left fielder Corey Coles leads the Sun Belt with a .453 average in conference games.

The rest of the story

2. Default

The 15-5 score was the second to last bad loss on the season. I'm glad those days are behind us.

It was an embarassing loss, and while a 15-5 Louisiana win tonight would be considered "turnabout is fair play" I just want a 1-0 win, but I expect much more.

Is it just me or does this Louisiana squad remind you of the 1951 Giants. (it just popped into my mind)

Geaux Cajuns

3. Default UL vs Nichols

As I wake up to a 16-1 score I am blown away!!

This team continues to remind me of the 51 Giants

4. Default Buras Grand Slam Highlights 15 Run Victory Over Nicholls State

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns baseball team avenges an early season loss to Nicholls State by routing the Colonels 16-1 here at M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field. Louisiana (24-26) combined for 13 runs in the first two innings to put the game away early and has now won eight of their last nine games. Nicholls State falls to 21-26 on the season after giving up 18 hits to the Cajuns.

Louisiana left-handed starting pitcher Andy Gros picked up the win after giving up just one unearned run in three innings pitched with three strikeouts and just three hits allowed. Gros (5-6) was pre-set to go just three innings and picks up his third win in three starts. Cajun relievers Thad Montgomery, Jeff Martinez, Danny McMurtry, and Bubba Olivier combined to hold the Colonels scoreless for the remainder of the game on just five hits.

The Ragin’ Cajuns offense jumped out of the gate early with a five run first inning that saw every hitter in the line-up come to the plate. Outfielders Bryan Sneed and Kevin Preau both hit first inning RBI doubles to score the first two runs of the game. Ryan Core followed with the third double of the inning to drive in two more runs and scored on a Rhett Buras ground out to make it 5-0 after just one inning of play.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA SI

5. Default Cajuns cruise past Nicholls State

LOUISIANA La. — For Louisiana’s baseball team, payback is a ... uh, a lot of fun.

Posting 18 hits and 16 runs on a team that embarrassed you earlier in the year is just extra icing in the Ragin’ Cajuns’ cakewalk that has been the last five weeks.

“When you’re hot, you’ve got to keep riding it,” Cajun coach Tony Robichaux said Wednesday night after the Cajuns pummeled Nicholls State 16-1. “We’ve got nine guys in the lineup hitting, and when that happens you start wearing people down.”

The Cajuns wore the Colonels down early, scoring 13 runs in the first two innings and getting those from the game’s first 19 batters. Robichaux was more impressed, though, with the fact that his team didn’t slack off after the big early lead.

The earlier 15-5 loss to the Colonels in Thibodaux — one in which the hosts also put up 13 runs in the first two innings — may have had something to do with that.

“These guys hung a 15 spot on us,” Robichaux said. “We weren’t a very good team then, but we’re much better now. Our hitters did a good job of keeping their intensity, we got good pitching from five guys and we didn’t make a lot of mistakes.

The rest of the story

Advertiser
    Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com

Originally posted by Turbine

Is it just me or does this Louisiana squad remind you of the 1951 Giants.
    I'm afraid I'm not old enough for it to remind me of that. In fact, my father isn't old enough.

Thread Information