Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of the MudBugs Football Team in Lafayette Louisiana

UL Football The Story of the MudBugs Football Team in Lafayette Louisiana

I was looking for new arena teams and seen this new league www.southernifl.com
    Hopefully this would last along time because I like Arena football it would be great for the city. Would Love to see a basketball team & baseball team in Lafayette.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

All I need in Lafayette is the Cajuns. Nothing else does it for me.

Default Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Bring it on! We need another source of entertainment here in Lafayette. Ice Hockey once filled that need! It sounds promising. Our city needs a semi-pro sport!

games to be played in blackhum i hear

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by Spydaman70507 View Post
    _ I was looking for new arena teams and seen this new league www.southernifl.com
    Hopefully this would last along time because I like Arena football it would be great for the city. Would Love to see a basketball team & baseball team in Lafayette. _
    Lafayette's had both an AFL2 team and a baseball team. Both didn't last past their 2nd season. The only professional team to enjoy real success in this city, like it or not, was the ICEGATORS.

The problem with semi-pro league and minor league teams is you need good managment to make the team thrive and a league that isn't looking to expand to every city in your state and is fiscally responsible in its own right. What made the Icegators great initially was they were the only hockey team in Louisiana. They had overnight success. People drove for miles to come see the Gators. Then the ECHL proceeded to expand in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, while the WPHL added teams in Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, and Monroe. It didn't take long for fans who came to Lafayette for games from other cities to find a new team. Plus managment of the IceGators forgot they were a bottom tier minor league hockey franchise and needed to keep their prices low. My point in all of this is that it is hard to get minor league sports franchises to hang around year in and year out. We have seen a few teams come to Lafayette, only to be gone in a short amount of time. (Bayou Bullfrogs, Roughnecks)

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ Lafayette's had both an AFL2 team and a baseball team. Both didn't last past their 2nd season. The only professional team to enjoy real success in this city, like it or not, was the ICEGATORS. _
    It has a lot to do with how you market a team. Playing in the Blackham I am guessing you are only going to need a few thousand to make it a success. With a population of over 110,000 you would think it wouldn't be hard to find 3,000 people to attend an event.

I was wondering if they would try the Cajundome. By the looks of this they aren't trying to be too big playing at arenas no bigger than 7,000 capacity.

We'll see how it works out. These leagues seem to come and geaux pretty quickly. Hopefully someone can make it a success.

Arena football on the minor league level has been plagued with management problems, bad coaching, poor attendance and leagues that come and go almost daily. (Example: do some research on the team that played in Beaumont)

The game itself is almost cartoon-like and the quality of play is; well poor at best. It reminds me a lot of sand lot football.

The players are paid very poorly, (if at all, ask some of the players who were on the Beaumont team) so many potentially good players would go forego the opportunity to play this game on a minor league level in favor of pursuing a lucrative career outside of sports. Why get banged up to play for peanuts?

To me, this game is similar to wrestling and would attract a similar clientele.

The top level league version is more exciting, although the quality of play is still sometime iffy.

Just my opinion; some may love it.

I worked for the Roughnecks and I can say that the reason for them going under was both poor management and bad marketing. The owner had both the Lafayette team and the Baton Rouge team. He paid much more attention to his Baton Rouge team. That being said, I'm still not sure if a team that is not affiliated with the AFL would make it. The best scenario for arena football would be for the Voodoo to move to Lafayette. Heard that Benson sold them....

I would love for Lafayette to get an MLS (Major League Soccer) team........

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    _ games to be played in blackhum i hear _
    Don't you think the roof in Blackham is a little low for this kind of thing? Would be nice for someone else to come in and pay for a Blackham facelift like the Bullfrogs did for UL Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    _ Don't you think the roof in Blackham is a little low for this kind of thing? Would be nice for someone else to come in and pay for a Blackham facelift like the Bullfrogs did for UL Baseball. _
    1. Yes the roof is too low in Blackham unless they are changing the rules to no punting or kickoffs.

2. The one time I went to a roughnecks game was TERRIBLE! I never thought "fast paced" arena football could be so boring, and I find UL scrimmages entertaining.

3. With a semi-pro or professional franchise you have to have sustainability. Once you get the fan you have to be able to keep them drawn, entertained, and satisfied. I think what happend with the Icegators is that it was kind of a new fad in Lafayette and they had big crowds for about the first 4 or 5 seasons then what. It became old hat and kind of lost it's luster.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    I would love for Lafayette to get an MLS (Major League Soccer) team........ _
    You might as well ask for an MLB or NHL team as well. MLS doesn't have huge attendances but still average well over 10K. Plus look at the cities they are in. There's not a lot of teams and they are all in major cities and they are looking to expand to cities like Seattle, St. Louis, etc.

I hope that you were just saying you hoped and you aren't seriously thinking there could ever be an MLS team in Lafayette. Maybe an indoor soccer team first.

Arena football isnt a bad idea, I just don't see it working. This is a college-only town it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ You might as well ask for an MLB or NHL team as well. MLS doesn't have huge attendances but still average well over 10K. Plus look at the cities they are in. There's not a lot of teams and they are all in major cities and they are looking to expand to cities like Seattle, St. Louis, etc.

I hope that you were just saying you hoped and you aren't seriously thinking there could ever be an MLS team in Lafayette. Maybe an indoor soccer team first.

Arena football isnt a bad idea, I just don't see it working. This is a college-only town it seems. _
    "This a college-only town it seems".

I wish about 40k fans would look at it that way.

Alumni Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ 1. Yes the roof is too low in Blackham unless they are changing the rules to no punting or kickoffs.

2. The one time I went to a roughnecks game was TERRIBLE! I never thought "fast paced" arena football could be so boring, and I find UL scrimmages entertaining.

3. With a semi-pro or professional franchise you have to have sustainability. Once you get the fan you have to be able to keep them drawn, entertained, and satisfied. I think what happend with the Icegators is that it was kind of a new fad in Lafayette and they had big crowds for about the first 4 or 5 seasons then what. It became old hat and kind of lost it's luster. _
    The Icegators lost the draw because of three things. Owner's getting greedy, Cajundome charging two and some case three times as much as the other barns ($8K/game) and the ECHL changing the game to a more familly style. In other words no fighting unless you want to be suspended. If you remember the team was call the goons of the ECHL. The other team hated to come to their barn and play because of that. The fans loved it. Being retired and living within walking distance of the dome and the love of hockey I never missed a game in ten years and was host to five of the players while they were here. And also attend UL football, baseball and basketball and all of the indoor soccer matches. You could say I had nothing to do but attend sports. So If UL decides to have a winning team in football and basketball they will hold the fans as well as attend pro. sports.....atleast I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ The Icegators lost the draw because of three things. Owner's getting greedy, Cajundome charging two and some case three times as much as the other barns ($8K/game) and the ECHL changing the game to a more familly style. In other words no fighting unless you want to be suspended. If you remember the team was call the goons of the ECHL. The other team hated to come to their barn and play because of that. The fans loved it. Being retired and living within walking distance of the dome and the love of hockey I never missed a game in ten years and was host to five of the players while they were here. And also attend UL football, baseball and basketball and all of the indoor soccer matches. You could say I had nothing to do but attend sports. So If UL decides to have a winning team in football and basketball they will hold the fans as well as attend pro. sports.....atleast I will. _
    As mentioned before the ECHL and WPHL opening up teams in ever city in Louisiana didn't help the IceGators. I love hockey and would like to see the Ragin Cajuns develop a team worth seeing.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information