Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of the MudBugs Football Team in Lafayette Louisiana

Default Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ As mentioned before the ECHL and WPHL opening up teams in ever city in Louisiana didn't help the IceGators. I love hockey and would like to see the Ragin Cajuns develop a team worth seeing. _
    This is a major reason the Icegators attendance dropped. When it was the Louisiana Icegators we were unique. One of a kind. No other city in this state or for that fact the league could pull crowds like the Icegators. It's sad how it ended.

Another thing that became a problem is our lack of success in the playoffs. We would post records with 50+ wins and a handful of losses and lose in the playoffs. This happened every year! Pensacola always had our number. I also remember beating the Mobile Mysticks quite a bit. I was in 5th grade when the Gators started.

I attended several commission meetings and contract meetings during their stay. And I can tell you the main reason it went down was the cost of the dome. $8k/game. That does not include security and office space. Also converting from ice to Basket ball and back. Plus convertiong for any event that might rent the dome. All this was a cost the IceGators. This was the fall of the team in later years when attendance went down. the first four years was no problem with attendance around 11,000+. Even the ECHL commission said that the cost of the dome was two to three times more than other barns. A little secret...I was sitting in the back of RA at a basketball game and overheard him say that he was glad the the IceGators was folding. And that they would not go down on the cost of the dome. He was a member of the dome commission at he time. The team in Beaumont, Tx. was looking to come here but the cost of the dome was out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    I would love for Lafayette to get an MLS (Major League Soccer) team........ _
    Yeah me too! I've been to 3 Dynamo games in Houston and had a blast. There is really no atmosphere like a pro soccer game. Even non-soccer fans I've dragged along with me have enjoyed it. I'm still waiting for soccer to blow up in this country.

_ As mentioned before the ECHL and WPHL opening up teams in ever city in Louisiana didn't help the IceGators. I love hockey and would like to see the Ragin Cajuns develop a team worth seeing. _
    I have a friend who plays on the UL club hockey team. Watching them play last season made me remember why the Ice Gators were so fun. It's in the hockeyplex and the players are just out there for fun but it's still really exciting to watch. Especially when they kick some tiger butt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaginCajun06 View Post
    _ Bring it on! We need another source of entertainment here in Lafayette. Ice Hockey once filled that need! It sounds promising. Our city needs a semi-pro sport! _
    I respectfully disagree! We are trying to build an Overall Strong UL Athletic Program, and by having monies go to other teams like arena football, minor league baseball, is something the Cajun Movement does not need.

Baton Rouge more than Triple the size of Lafayette is all about LSU, hell LSU football is bigger than the Saints football!

Lake Charles and other cities can have those teams so we can from time to time go watch them but keep the bulk of our bucks here building UL!!!

Thanks but Neaux Thanks!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

I agree that I too would love to see UL Soccer, Hockey, and Swimming/Diving, but not pro. No pro for me until the Cajuns are in a bigger stronger position money wise to not stifel their growth!

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ You might as well ask for an MLB or NHL team as well. MLS doesn't have huge attendances but still average well over 10K. Plus look at the cities they are in. There's not a lot of teams and they are all in major cities and they are looking to expand to cities like Seattle, St. Louis, etc.

I hope that you were just saying you hoped and you aren't seriously thinking there could ever be an MLS team in Lafayette. Maybe an indoor soccer team first.

Arena football isnt a bad idea, I just don't see it working. This is a college-only town it seems. _
    Lafayette barely supports college sports, much less another semi-pro franchise. Let's get these people on board with UL and not divide their money with some meaningless semi-pro team. The only advantage I can see would be to have a minor league baseball team that would bring a new stadium for UL baseball. Otherwise, it should be UL exclusively.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ You might as well ask for an MLB or NHL team as well. MLS doesn't have huge attendances but still average well over 10K. Plus look at the cities they are in. There's not a lot of teams and they are all in major cities and they are looking to expand to cities like Seattle, St. Louis, etc.

I hope that you were just saying you hoped and you aren't seriously thinking there could ever be an MLS team in Lafayette. Maybe an indoor soccer team first.

Arena football isnt a bad idea, I just don't see it working. This is a college-only town it seems. _
    First off I want to inform everyone that I sent an email to the comissioner of the SIFL. He said that the team will be playing in Blackham. I still think the roof is way too low for that. And in case you were wondering, the team will be called the Acadiana Mudbugs and will be coached by Bentley Turner.

Now in response to your points.....MLS is needs no where near the support as an MLB team. I do think that it is close to a NHL team. I do think Lafayette can support an MLS team. Soccer is pretty big in Louisiana. I think there would be a lot of fans that can be pulled from Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, and Alexandria. Another thing is that not all of the pro soccer venues support other pro teams. Colombus, Salt Lake, San Jose, and Comerce City, CO. I think that an MLS team could turn out a good bit of fans.

On your second point about UL being able to support an Indoor Soccer team....We had one already in the Swampcats. They were okay but I think the league folded. Indoor soccer is just not too much fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    _ First off I want to inform everyone that I sent an email to the comissioner of the SIFL. He said that the team will be playing in Blackham. I still think the roof is way too low for that. And in case you were wondering, the team will be called the Acadiana Mudbugs and will be coached by Bentley Turner.

Now in response to your points.....MLS is needs no where near the support as an MLB team. I do think that it is close to a NHL team. I do think Lafayette can support an MLS team. Soccer is pretty big in Louisiana. I think there would be a lot of fans that can be pulled from Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, and Alexandria. Another thing is that not all of the pro soccer venues support other pro teams. Colombus, Salt Lake, San Jose, and Comerce City, CO. I think that an MLS team could turn out a good bit of fans.

On your second point about UL being able to support an Indoor Soccer team....We had one already in the Swampcats. They were okay but I think the league folded. Indoor soccer is just not too much fun to watch. _
    How can you kick a football in Blackham? I don't know what the SIFL is but they should really think things through a little better. That team will fold in about 2 weeks.

There is no possible way Lafayette would ever get an MLS team. I'm not joking when I tell you it would be easier for us to get an NFL team. Why would they pick a tiny city over cities like New York, Miami, Montreal, Atlanta, and Portland who are all begging for teams? And who would pay the $40 million franchise fee? And build the $100 million stadium?

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaginCajun06 View Post
    _ It has a lot to do with how you market a team. Playing in the Blackham I am guessing you are only going to need a few thousand to make it a success. With a population of over 110,000 you would think it wouldn't be hard to find 3,000 people to attend an event.

I was wondering if they would try the Cajundome. By the looks of this they aren't trying to be too big playing at arenas no bigger than 7,000 capacity.

We'll see how it works out. These leagues seem to come and geaux pretty quickly. Hopefully someone can make it a success. _
    I live in Lake Charles and the Swashbucklers regulary had 3,000 people in the Civic Center. I feel the tickets are overpriced but it is a fun fast paced game. It was amazing to me that we could field better teams than Katy and Frisco which had the Houston area and Dallas area to draw from. I think you will enjoy it. Your team needs to get lessons from the LC owner Tom Hofer he has done a great job marketing the team here.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarte3 View Post
    _ I live in Lake Charles and the Swashbucklers regulary had 3,000 people in the Civic Center. I feel the tickets are overpriced but it is a fun fast paced game. It was amazing to me that we could field better teams than Katy and Frisco which had the Houston area and Dallas area to draw from. I think you will enjoy it. Your team needs to get lessons from the LC owner Tom Hofer he has done a great job marketing the team here. _
    Hey mods, this is acarte3 reincarnated. Watch him please. There seems to be enough foolishness on the boards as it is.

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Arena Team to play in Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by L'RonMexico View Post
    _ Hey mods, this is acarte3 reincarnated. Watch him please. There seems to be enough foolishness on the boards as it is. _
    Sorry I don't know who acarte3 is. You have the wrong person. I am using my ID assigned by my company to identify others with a similar name.

13. UL Football Indoor Football Coming to Lafayette

The New Orleans Voodoo folded in October, and now the Arena Football League is ready to cancel what would have been its 23rd season in 2009.

But there is another brand of indoor gridiron action coming to Lafayette in the spring. The Southern Indoor Football League is headed this way, with the newly minted Acadiana Mudbugs ready to put on helmets and pads.

The rest of the story

By Chris Mycoskie

14. Default Re: Indoor Football Coming to Lafayette

Nice but just a note; anyone who uses the term "MudBugs" is not from here.

Default Re: Indoor Football Coming to Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Nice but just a note; anyone who uses the term "MudBugs" is not from here. _
    My only problem is the ticket prices. Their wanting 18.50 a ticket, that's just too much for someone wanting to take a family out there.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information