Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: First time visitor to Lafayette

Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

Don't forget about Charlie G's. Olde Tyme is flat out the best po-boy you'll ever get. Get the whole shrimp or any other. A bit off the beaten path is Nash's in Broussard. Cafe Vermilion Ville for white table cloth dinning. Ruffino's on the River. Oh.and Jolie'sseriously if you can't find good food in Lafayette you just aren't trying. You could easily spend four days here and eat all three meals at a different places each day and never get a bad meal.

2. Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

Boiled CrawFish

Dwights.us

If you are looking for a place to stay with plenty of shops/restaurants in walking distance I would suggest looking at the Carriage House Hotel. http://www.cityclubatriverranch.com/.d=280254&vnf=1 or http://www.cityclubatriverranch.com and follow the links. I think you get included use of the City Club fitness area with your stay. There area also plenty of good restaurants/bars and coffee shops within walking distance or very short drive. There is also a nearby Marriott SpringHill Suites Lafayette South at River Ranch at 321 Settlers Trace Boulevard which might be worth checking out. This area would be about a 10 minute drive from "The Tigue."

You've got to try a poboy (preferably fried shrimp or oyster) from Olde Tyme Grocery on the UL campus.

Deano's Pizza is unique and has a location near the ballpark as well as on Kaliste Saloom near River Ranch.

Judice Inn on Johnston St. has GREAT Burgers - (but no fries and they pride themselves in that).

Parking around the baseball field is free and plenty. Not an issue. More parking than seats - unfortunately.

FWIW: There are many Cajun fans who will not be able to get tickets because all tickets will be scooped up by season ticket holders and RCAF. I'm not even sure all RCAF gets tickets. The stadium is almost sold out - just on season tickets.

As far as a place to watch the Louisiana games and get good food/drinks - I like Walk-Ons (a short drive from River Ranch).

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    There's only like 300 restaurants & 150 bars on this town. Be ready to drive because the city is spread out.

The parking is the best of any college venue you'll ever see.
    Have a good weekend.
    You can USUALLY park for free right outside of the Stadium (if you look on google earth, it is to the West of the Football Stadium and North of the Baseball Stadium). I emphasize the word USUALLY, because the Cajun Heartland State Fair is going on in the Cajundome parking lot as well. Parking might be slightly modified this weekend.

Your best bet for Restaurants or Bars is to ask around while tailgating. People love to give their opinion on the best place to eat or drink around Lafayette, and the Great part is very few of them are wrong. You won't find many bad places to eat or drink.

Petes on johnson or lebanese on pinhook vwry near campus

Maybe a point to be made. When people visit Lafayette they expect all the food to be "Cajun". In reality the food offerings are extremely varied. People in this area know good food no matter the culinary region it originates from and you won't last long serving bad food.

CajunAmos has a good list noted above. I will add that the FrenchPress mentioned by many is a restaurant that was nominated for a James Beard award last year.

Ruffino's is located in River Ranch and there is also a new (very good) Agave Mexican just across Kaliste Saloom from River Ranch.

8. Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    Some of your fans are frankly unbearable and acting very arrogant (which apparently can get people banned for saying that). .
    Like I said, I've been disappointed with some of the MSU fans because of the fact I myself have an Grandfather, Aunt, Uncle, and 3 cousins who are State alum, and the way some have portrayed themselves online is vastly different than the State fans I know in person and it's incredibly disheartening.
    I agree with all this. Honestly, the frequenters of the two main "free" boards, Sixpackspeak and EliteDawgs, are basically daily competitions to see who can be the biggest a-hole. I guess that's how you get your point across and become "six pack cool."

Olde Tyme's poboys virtues have been covered by several, but one thing that may not have been mentioned is its proximty to the academic campus, only one block away.

Last edited by TravlnCajun; May 27th, 2014 at 05:30 pm. Reason: Missing word

All these places and no one has even touched on the best places for plate lunches! Geez I love Lafayette!

But seriously, IF y'all make it to Sunday, depending on game-time, go get a BBQ plate lunch from Dwight's. Just make sure you call in or be there at 11 to stand in line.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Shuck's in Abbeville. How are the crawfish @ dwyer's how big & the price right now? Obviously, you can see the need to get a Po Boy from Olde Tyme Grocery. They are everything the board says. Only go if you are hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I can't believe nobody mentioned Shuck's in Abbeville. How are the crawfish @ dwyer's how big & the price right now? Obviously, you can see the need to get a Po Boy from Olde Tyme Grocery. They are everything the board says. Only go if you are hungry.
    Shuck's actually crossed my mind while I was typing. I just didn't want to send someone on an adventure and they end up in Intracoastal City!

Also - Crawfish Tyme on Verot has some of the best crawfish as well.
    Last edited by Guidry3; May 27th, 2014 at 05:34 pm. Reason: added

Did anybody mention Mel's diner for all night starvation?

Quote Originally Posted by Guidry3 View Post
    Shuck's actually crossed my mind while I was typing. I just didn't want to send someone on an adventure and they end up in Intracoastal City!
    With all the maroon they'd fit right in. They'd probably make them honorary Boudreauxs or Doucets.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    For seafood (Crawfish) - Dons downtown for Crawfish Bisque never disappoints. (Hurry crawfish season is almost over)
    For a somewhat eclectic menu go to the French Press across the street from Dons downtown.
    For sushi Tsunami downtown
    For Mexican - LaPaqua on Johnston or Aztecas on Ambassador Caffery (Avoid LaFondas no matter what anybody says)
    For Italian - I Monelli or Alesi's both on Johston street.
    For smoked meats Johnstons Boucaniere (you will not be disappointed) If you really want to get down with cajun go to Poches north of Breaux Bridge.

For a somewhat more elegant setting Cafe Vermilionville on Pinhook or Jollies also on Pinhook.

For Tapas - Pamplona Tapas on Jefferson.

Everyone in this thread has been spot on.

I just wanted to comment separately that the meatloaf sandwich at the French Press is nothing short of life affirming.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information