Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: First time visitor to Lafayette

Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

Hey DD.see why HUD and Tayla don't wont to leave!

Laura's II has THE best plate lunches in town. Definitely home cooking. Unfortunately, I'm not overly well-versed in our breakfast restaurants. We've got Brick & Spoon on E. Broussard that I've been wanting to try, but you can't really go wrong with the ones downtown listed earlier. I live in Abbeville, so as far as Shucks goes.you can find better seafood elsewhere for more reasonable prices. They've really jacked them up over the last few years. The sole reason to go there over other local seafood restaurants is raw oysters; they still rule that category. If you make it down to Abbeville and want seafood, though, I'd recommend Dupuy's. They've got roots with the same family that originally opened Shucks (it's now under new management); their seafood alfredo is heavenly, and they've also got traditional seafood platters, stuffed shrimp, crabs, etc. The best boiled crawfish in the area belongs to Cajun Claws in Abbeville, but you'll have to get there early and prepare to wait. That said, best case scenario for crawfish is to wander into somebody's back yard because it'll be better than whatever a restaurant will give you.

For drinks, Social Southern Table and Bar on Johnston St. has the widest variety of beer and cocktails in town. They also have a rather unique menu, with items meant to be shared. I've been once and got some "buck bombs," which was antelope, stuffed with pepperjack cheese and wrapped with bacon and covered in local fig syrup. A different taste for sure. I also got the smoked shrimp and grits (which were polenta), which came with a sweet relish and curry oil; very tasty.

All that said, you can't go wrong with some of the other Lafayette establishments mentioned. Olde Tyme is the best poboy you're ever going to have, Prejean's is generally regarded as the Lafayette standard for seafood, Deano's has really good pizza and a relaxed atmosphere, Judice Inn on Johnston has great burgers and milkshakes, but (still) no fries, and La Pagua has the best Mexican food in town.

Also, insider tip: we've got a little-known breakfast place called the International House of Pancakes (we locals call it IHOP for short). Don't miss the pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouRichard View Post
    Excellent choices! Ole time Grocery for awesome lunch PO-boys and Prejeans for dinner if you have room from lunch
    Prejeans really? Place is gross and it's not Cajun food.

4. Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

On Saturday Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge. Live Zydeco band with lots of drinking and dancing at 8:00 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Colony View Post
    On Saturday Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge. Live Zydeco band with lots of drinking and dancing at 8:00 in the morning.
    A friend from Savannah still raves about that place two years later.

There is a Ground Pati near Cajun field just Past Our Lady of Fatima.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    Prejeans really? Place is gross and it's not Cajun food.
    I like Prejean's but I REALLY miss Angelle's which used to be right across the interstate. That was the best fried catfish and onion ringsLandry's is good but my favorite is still Don's on Johnstongood platters.

I like Prejean's but I REALLY miss Angelle's which used to be right across the interstate. That was the best fried catfish and onion ringsLandry's is good but my favorite is still Don's on Johnstongood platters.
    If you want to talk about great restaurants that are no longer open, you could not beat Black's in Abbeville. It was world famous and the food was awesome! If I ever win the lottery I will open that place back up pronto!

Another good place for boiled crawfish, Crawfish Time on ridge road right off Johnston St.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Another place to stay would be the Juliette downtown. Which is not far from most of the places mentioned in this thread. Carpe Diem Gelatto and Expresso bar is in the same building. Silvia makes gelatto every day with fresh ingredients. Which is right across the street from the Filling Station (I have found the food there disappointing the last few times I went). It is also a few blocks from Bordens Ice Cream shop (the only Bordens Ice cream shop left).

The French Press is absolutely the best restaurant in Lafayette. Well know chefs have visited the place for television and have bowed down in homage to the food.

I understand The Little big Cup in Arnauldville is excellent also. I have not been though.

Even with all of the restaurants listed above it is safe to say that the best food you will find will be at a home somewhere. That, my friends, is why chain restaurants don't stand a chance in this town.
    I never knew there ever was another Borden's. Yes if you want the best malts in the world go to the Borden's Ice Cream Shop.

11. Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
    Another good place for boiled crawfish, Crawfish Time on ridge road right off Johnston St.
    -----Well there goes the thought of Lafayette not having anything to do---Please get some boudin or oysters in Abbeville!!!

I have to say this although it hurts me to. The last time I went into Fat Pat's, I thought they really shorted the amount of meat on the burger. I haven't been there since. It kills me to see a place do so well then start to cut back & short the menu. Go up on the price if you need to. But leave the quality there. The same thing with Prejean's the last time I went there, they had paper menus & the entree's were so small, we left there & had to get a burger to finsh filling up. At their prices they have no excuse. And Pete's could use a good pressure washing on the inside to get all the grease out the joint. Rant out.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Pizza Village yet!

Oh and for good measure, in case you're in the Mardi Gras mood, Meche's Donut King on Guilbeau Rd. serves their one of a kind King Cakes year round. You might want to dabble.

14. Default Re: First time visitor to Lafayette

All those Cajun culture killing restaurants have great food.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I have to say this although it hurts me to. The last time I went into Fat Pat's, I thought they really shorted the amount of meat on the burger. I haven't been there since. It kills me to see a place do so well then start to cut back & short the menu. Go up on the price if you need to. But leave the quality there. The same thing with Prejean's the last time I went there, they had paper menus & the entree's were so small, we left there & had to get a burger to finsh filling up. At their prices they have no excuse. And Pete's could use a good pressure washing on the inside to get all the grease out the joint. Rant out.
    Having worked at fat pats for quite a while I can assure you it was an accident that you got a smaller burger. Patties are still the same weight they have always been, but sometimes in a rush after a crazy busy day they prep the patties without weighing them which can sometimes come up an ounce or 2 over or under the usual weight. Sorry that you had that experience, but if you go back just tell the manager on duty about your last burger and Adam or Aaron will make sure they get it right.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information