Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2009 LAdy Cajuns Softball

1. UL Softball Ole Miss explodes in 10th to beat Cajuns and take weekend series

Two games into the season, UL sophomore pitcher Donna Bourgeois is in mid-season form.

So is Ole Miss junior pitcher Becky Nye.

Bourgeois set a new career high with 14 strikeouts - two days after her previous high of 13 - and held the Rebels scoreless for nine innings on Sunday.

But in the 10th inning, Bourgeois ran into a brick wall and some bad luck as the Rebels (2-1) scratched across four runs on an error, four singles and a walk to take the third game of the weekend series, 4-0, before 871 fans at Lamson Park.

The rest of the story

Brady Aymond • baymond@theadvertiser.com • February 9, 2009

2. UL Softball Lady Cajuns exercising caution with Brignac's return

Ashley Brignac would have loved nothing more than to have thrown in the season-opening series against Ole Miss this past weekend.

Well, except to pitch in the Women's College World Series again.

And that long-term goal is the focus and main reason UL's star sophomore pitcher and the Ragin' Cajuns' coaching staff are taking their time easing her back onto the field.

The rest of the story

Brady Aymond • baymond@theadvertiser.com • February 11, 2009

3. UL Softball Lady Cajuns Softball Set for Louisiana Classic

UL - The No. 19 Louisiana softball team is set to host the 23rd Annual Louisiana Classic on Friday through Sunday, Feb. 13-15 at Alfred and Helen Lamson Ragin’ Cajuns Softball Park.

The Lady Cajuns welcome five other teams to Lamson Park, including Lipscomb, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State, Nicholls State and Providence.

Louisiana will close out day one of the tournament with a game against Lipscomb at 5:30 p.m. UL will play a pair of games on day two, starting with a televised game against Louisiana Tech at 11:30 a.m. and finishing with a 4:30 p.m. game against Providence. On the final day of the tournament, the Ragin’ Cajuns will square off against Nicholls State and McNeese State at 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively.

Louisiana’s game with the Lady Techsters will be televised on My KLAF. The game is the first of three UL softball games to be televised by My KLAF this season. Chris Mycoskie will provide the play-by-play, while Dan McDonald will add color analysis.

The Lady Cajuns swept the 2008 tournament, defeating Mississippi Valley State and Southern Miss twice each for the crown.

The Ragin’ Cajuns placed Donna Bourgeois, Gabriele Bridges, Ashley Brignac, Brooke Brodhead and Katie Smith on the All-Tournament Team. Senior Holly Tankersley was named the Louisiana Classics Most Outstanding Player.

The Ragin’ Cajuns enter the weekend ranked No. 19 according to the USA Today/NFCA Division I Top 25 Poll. UL is also ranked 19th in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25 Poll.

In the opening weekend, Louisiana recorded 31 strikeouts in 24.0 innings. The Lady Cajuns boasted a 0.88 ERA as a team, surrendering just three earned runs in three games.

Bourgeois was named the Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Week. She threw a pair of complete games against Ole Miss boasting a 0.82 ERA in 17.0 innings. Bourgeois set a personal best with 13 strikeouts on Friday and then topped that with a career-high 14 strikeouts on Sunday.

Complete Schedule

Friday, Feb. 13

4. 10:00 a.m. – Lipscomb vs. McNeese State
  5. 12:30 p.m. – Providence vs. Nicholls State
  6. 3:00 p.m. – Louisiana Tech vs. McNeese State
  7. 5:30 p.m. – Lipscomb vs. Louisiana

Saturday, Feb. 14
  8. 9:00 a.m. – Lipscomb vs. Louisiana Tech
  9. 11:30 a.m. – Louisiana Tech vs. Louisiana (TV – KLAF)
  10. 2:00 p.m. – Nicholls State vs. Lipscomb
  11. 4:30 p.m. – Providence vs. Louisiana
  12. 7:00 p.m. – McNeese State vs. Providence

Sunday, Feb. 15
  13. 10:00 a.m. – Lipscomb vs. Providence
  14. 12:30 p.m. – Nicholls State vs. Louisiana
  15. 3:00 p.m. – Louisiana Tech vs. Nicholls State
  16. 5:30 p.m. – McNeese State vs. Louisiana

Scouting the Opposition

Lipscomb was 29-26 overall in 2008 and 16-6 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Louisiana Classics Tournament will be the first games of the season for Lipscomb.

Louisiana Tech was 37-29 overall in 2008 and 7-10 in the WAC. The Lady Techsters captured the 2008 Western Athletic Conference tournament title and defeated Auburn twice in the NCAA Tournament.

McNeese State enters the weekend 0-6 after dropping a game to No. 2 Arizona State and four games in the Arizona State Kajikawa Classic. The Cowgirls fell to No. 21 LSU in Baton Rouge on Wednesday.

Nicholls State started the season 3-2 after participating in a tournament at Centenary. NSU enters the weekend 4-2 after upending Sun Belt Conference opponent South Alabama.

Providence was 25-25-2 overall in 2008 and 8-12 in the Big East Conference. The Louisiana Classics Tournament will be the first games of the season for Providence.

RaginCajuns.com

17. UL Softball 5:30 game

I did a little research to see what we'll be up against. Looks like they have a pretty good pitcher A.Jacobson (despite being in A-Sun confrence, what's that?). She set NCAA record with five shutouts and beat #17 Georgia Tech, has 1.16 ERA in confrence games.should be a good game. Hope we work on hitting.

Default Re: 5:30 game

Quote Originally Posted by angellebertrand View Post
    _ I did a little research to see what we'll be up against. Looks like they have a pretty good pitcher A.Jacobson (despite being in A-Sun confrence, what's that?). She set NCAA record with five shutouts and beat #17 Georgia Tech, has 1.16 ERA in confrence games.should be a good game. Hope we work on hitting. _

The A-Sun is the Atlantic Sun conference. Some of their members are Mercer, Jacksonville, Stetson and Campbell.

Alaina Jacobson is a transfer from Missouri, so she's not a typical A-Sun pitcher. She set the Lipscomb school record (during the NCAA era) with five shutouts last year. Jacobson went 9-1 in A-Sun games and 11-6 overall.

I think she'll be somewhat comparable to the pitcher from Ole Miss, maybe not quite as strong. If she has any kind of changeup close to as good as Nye from Ole Miss, the Cajuns could struggle. If not, I think the Cajuns will be OK.

My biggest interest tonight, after last weekend, is observing the demeanor and atmosphere in the dugout, and in the stands. Although dreaded by fans, it's great for the impartial observer. Another unexpected loss this early in the season will provide a far greater glimpse into the team psyche. It would also provided great insight into the depth's of each players psyche if the "fight or flee" mechanism triggered in only the second week of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ My biggest interest tonight, after last weekend, is observing the demeanor and atmosphere in the dugout, and in the stands. Although dreaded by fans, it's great for the impartial observer. Another unexpected loss this early in the season will provide a far greater glimpse into the team psyche. It would also provided great insight into the depth's of each players psyche if the "fight or flee" mechanism triggered in only the second week of the season. _
    If your taking photos this weekend, a few extra shots of #21 Donna Bourgeouis would be time well spent.

GEAUX UL!

Games got delayed due to weather. The release was saying the second game was scheduled for 1:30, even though the email came like 10 mins ago. Not sure how it will affect our game time.

Edit: says UL vs Lipscomb is at 6:30 now.

Edit again: Scott just said it may not start until 7:30 due to game 2 being in the 10th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    _ If your taking photos this weekend, a few extra shots of #21 Donna Bourgeouis would be time well spent.

GEAUX UL! _
    Oh yeah!!!! She is def easy on the eyes

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ My biggest interest tonight, after last weekend, is observing the demeanor and atmosphere in the dugout, and in the stands. Although dreaded by fans, it's great for the impartial observer. Another unexpected loss this early in the season will provide a far greater glimpse into the team psyche. It would also provided great insight into the depth's of each players psyche if the "fight or flee" mechanism triggered in only the second week of the season. _
    I have no doubt that you'll find a fiesty, fun, energetic, positive dugout. Not once were they any different, even when down to their final out at the college world series. They will compete hard and they will have smiles. They are intense but loose. Bank on it!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: 5:30 game

Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    _ If your taking photos this weekend, a few extra shots of #21 Donna Bourgeouis would be time well spent.

GEAUX UL! _
    hey, now, you can't forget about little katie smith. we need to show her some love, too!

UL Softball Re: 5:30 game

UL - 4

Lippies - 0

4th inning

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Saint View Post
    _ hey, now, you can't forget about little katie smith. we need to show her some love, too! _
    A few snaps of Katie Stanford would be nice also.

And while I'm asking don't forget some of Assistant Coach Vanessa Soto; loved that smile.

UL Softball Re: 5:30 game

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    And while I'm asking don't forget some of Assistant Coach Vanessa Soto; loved that smile.
    She is an Asst. Coach now? Oh my Don't tell my wife.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Everyone can step away from the ledge.

UL 4
    Lips 2

But we let em score 2 runs. Da.mn.we wont win 13 games this year.

Z

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information