Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jambalaya Recipe help????

Default Jambalaya Recipe help????

Cooking a jambalaya for about 40 people this weekend... I don't have a recipe and was going to get one off of the internet, but figured I'd see if any of you tailgators had a tried and true recipe you wouldn't mingd sharing. Can't wait til Saturday... GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!

Default Re: Jambolaya Recipe help????

Is this for tailgating?

UL Football Re: Jambolaya Recipe help????

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ Is this for tailgating? _

WHERE ELSE WOULD I BE SATURDAY!!!!!!! YES IT'S FOR TAILGATING!!!!!!

UL Football Re: Jambolaya Recipe help????

It all depends on what MEAT you put in and how you cook the rice. Good luck and GEAUX CAJUNS!!

Thanks... caught the misspelling as soon as i hit post but noticed we don't have the edit post feature anymore.

I'm going for chicken and sausage.

6. Default Re: Jambolaya Recipe help????

If you have not attempted a jambalaya before, your best bet would be to cook the rice separate from the meat and vegies and them combine in the end....kind of like a rice dressing. This method does not produce the best taste, but it is better than hard rice, or worse burnt rice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
    _Cooking a jambolaya for about 40 people this weekend... I don't have a recipe and was going to get one off of the internet, but figured I'd see if any of you tailgators had a tried and true recipe you wouldn't mingd sharing. Can't wait til Saturday... GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!

First you make a roux. Oh, no, wait that is for just about anything else.

1: Water Maid Rice 10 quarts cooked with Campbell Onions Soup, Water Maid, 2 cents a serving that's the price.

2: Fontenot sausage 5 lbs fried and drained 1 inch lengths.

3: Jacob Andouille 3 lbs saute in LPO sliced into quarter inch slices

4: 2 lbs of fried rump roast cut into bite size cubes.

5: Vegetable and spices: Onions five cups, 5 belle peppers, garlic about 5 heads saute in LPO. Black pepper, red pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder

7: Lou Anna Peanut oil about 1.5 cups. LPO* substitute Louisiana Canola if there are any peanut allergic people in your group.

8: One big A--ss 13 quart cast pot.

A: Into the big 13 quart cast pot place sliced sausage lengths, and fry the sausage in a little LPO* remove and drain.

B: Fry to medium dark the andouille and rump roast, remove and drain

C: Saute the vegetables, and rice with the balance of the LPO. Season to taste,black pepper, red pepper, salt, onion flake, garlic powder.

D: Combine in big A--ss 13 quart cast pot and place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or onto a covered propane grill for 30 minutes on low.

F: Serve with a dark Abita ale beer, or lemon aid.

8. Default Cooking ALL of Grandma's Recipes - Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

My first time making it from scratch instead of from a box! It took muuuuch longer than I expected it to. I started cooking around 6:00pm, or maybe a little bit before that. I finished cooking a little after 9:30pm. By the end of it, I couldn’t stand up anymore and my back was hurting badly. The only way I could manage to cook this type of meal every day would be for me to be a stay-at-home wife. We all know that’s not possible, because I like having enough money to buy nice things.

Today was the day when I discovered that my dog LOVES celery. A piece fell on the floor and she ate it (naturally), but then she kept begging for more. I would cut another piece and she would pick it up and bring it to her bed to eat it. Then she would come back. It was very cute.

While I was cooking this, I was nervous that it would taste kind of like gumbo or stew (because of the roux). It didn’t, and it was delicious. My husband said “You can cook this one again one day, if you want.” Also, the recipe didn’t include rice, which I thought was weird. I guess this recipe was only to remind my grandmother of how to make the jambalaya part of the jambalaya, and add rice later. She also gave the option of making roux or using pre-made roux. I’m not good enough yet to make my own, so I just used the_store-bought_kind. This time around, I did have white pepper. My mother-in-law read the blog where I talked about how I couldn’t find any, and she got me some. I love her._

Advice that I would give to someone else trying to cook this? Don’t get overwhelmed when you see how much of a large amount of onions, bell peppers, and celery make. It filled up almost an entire mixing bowl after I chopped (well, used my food processor to chop) everything and put it together. I was scared that it would be too much and I was wondering if it was just a typo made by my grandmother. It was actually a good amount once everything was cooked. The onions and everything cooked down and shrank, and it wasn’t so much at the end._If you cook this, please read the recipe a few times before you start. It is a little difficult to follow. I tried fixing it up a little to make it easier to follow, but I didn’t want to change my grandmother’s words too much._Don’t forget the rice!

I will probably cook this again, but on a weekend. It’s not very fun to spend hours cooking right after you get home from a 10 hour work day.

—-

1 fresh fryer, 1_lb smoked pork sausage, 2 large yellow onions chopped finely, 2 medium bell peppers chopped finely, 3 ribs of celery chopped finely, 1 cup of vegetable oil, 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp of salt, 3/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp of dry basil or 2 tsp of fresh basil, 1 tsp of dry thyme or 2 tsp of fresh thyme, one pint of chicken stock, 1 cup of chopped green onions, 1 cup of chopped parsley.

Mix salt & pepper together in a small bowl. In a large pot, add onions, bell peppers, & celery and_sauté_for 4-5 minutes. Then add the seasoning and herbs, saute for another 4-5 minutes. Then brown the sausage on all sides over a medium fire. Remove from pot. Cut fryer into pieces, season with the mix, then brown on all sides. Remove from pot. Note: If you have a roux already cooked, then add 4-5 tablespoons to the pot. If you don’t, use the oil & flour in a_separate_heavy skillet to make one. After it has cooked, then add it to the jambalaya base. Let roux and base cook over a low fire for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Then pour the chicken stock in slowly. You want the sauce to be a little thicker than gumbo, but not quite as thick as a stew. Once you have obtained the right consistency, let it cook under a slow simmer while stirring often for 10-15 minutes. Then add sausage and chicken. Cover and cook over a low fire for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes, or until the meat is tender.

The rest of the recipe...

9. Default Cajun Jambalaya

Cajun Jambalaya Cajun Jambalaya with chicken and sausage by Beryl Stokes is a new Cajun recipe at Cajun Cooking TV. A great Cajun Jambalaya recipe does not have to come from a box, a bag or a frozen dinner. This essential Acadian (Cajun) dish is an unfussy and wholesome meal that is considered by some [...]

10. Default Easy Way Gourmet: Jammin' jambalaya

It is truly a time of celebration and indulging. And a big part of every party is the food — and food is important to Cajuns and Creoles alike. While many know there are Creoles and Cajuns in Louisiana, most of us might not know that the ...

11. Default Cajun Jambalaya

Emeril Lagasse has crafted a delicious recipe for Cajun Jambalaya. This dish is packed with flavors and textures that are pleasing to the palate and pack a punch of flavor. This hearty meal will serve a crowd easily and is perfect for a cold or rainy day.

12. Default Cajun Jambalaya Pasta

Directions: Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Place the chicken into a clean mixing bowl. Sprinkle the Cajun spice over the chicken and into the bowl. Gently toss the chicken until each piece is evenly coated with the spice. · Add the chicken into ...

13. Default UL Students Announce "Grand Slam Jambalaya Cook-Off"

There’s nothing like rooting for the winning home team. Luckily, our community has a great one to rally behind in Lafayette’s own Ragin’ Cajuns Softball team. The Lady Cajuns are steamrolling through a fantastic season, and are ranked in the top ten nationally. The eyes of Acadiana are fixed on these powerhouse performers, and fans of the team expect a great outcome for the season.

14. Default Re: UL Students Announce "Grand Slam Jambalay Cook-Off"

I'm hungry

Default Re: UL Students Announce "Grand Slam Jambalay Cook-Off"

May need to contact my cook off partners.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information