Thread: UL Softball Smashes Texas, 10-1, Advance To Super Regionals

1. Default UL Softball Smashes Texas, 10-1, Advance To Super Regionals

The Cajuns jumped on top in the top half of the second inning, when Gabby Felps, pinch-hitting for slapper Natalie Fernandez, delivered a clutch two-out single, just off the glove of Texas second baseman Stephanie Ceo, scoring pinch runner Kassidy Zeringue .

Default Re: UL Softball Smashes Texas, 10-1, Advance To Super Regionals

Anyone know if Shelbi got MVP of the regional?

3. UL Softball Re: UL Softball Smashes Texas, 10-1, Advance To Super Regionals

Speaking of most valuable. Coach Mike knowing that Fernandez is a great slap hitter and makes it to first very often, but that slap if handled properly usually means an out at second. So he reaches into his bag of players and brings up Phelps to take care of business. Situational hitting folks, situational hitting. He ain't worried about a pop up, or a strike out. He has warriors up and down the line.

Mike had a tremendous game management weekend. Having Kendall Smith in LF to make the catch against Texas in the top of the 7th the first time we played them. Pinch hitting for your best batting average hitter with the bases loaded, and lost in that was that he also had just pinch ran for the runner at 2nd. The speedy pinch runner was able to score from second (barely). It seemed every move he made was golden.

If there's a better softball coach in the country, I'd sure like to see it. Congrats Coach Mike and to all the ladies. What a great showing. Let's do it again next weekend!!

5. Default Re: UL Softball Smashes Texas, 10-1, Advance To Super Regionals

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Mike had a tremendous game management weekend. Having Kendall Smith in LF to make the catch against Texas in the top of the 7th the first time we played them. Pinch hitting for your best batting average hitter with the bases loaded, and lost in that was that he also had just pinch ran for the runner at 2nd. The speedy pinch runner was able to score from second (barely). It seemed every move he made was golden.

If there's a better softball coach in the country, I'd sure like to see it. Congrats Coach Mike and to all the ladies. What a great showing. Let's do I again next weekend!!
    Can I say WOW?

I can't wait. "WOW"

I have been wondering why Coach doesnt use Felps as DH rather than Corbello, who has good patience and a great eye but a low Batting average.

It seems like a no-brainer since Felps has been so clutch this season.

However, now that I think about it Coach may want Felps, a clutch hitter, on the bench at his disposal for a situation just like we saw Sunday.

It is not that uncommon for a "slapper" to be up in a situation that would favor a batter who drives the ball. Coach may think that Felps is more valuable to him on the bench, where he can bat her when the time is right, rather than as DH.

Just a thought.

Minor thing but it's "Felps"

Fixed it. Thanks.

I had actually looked at CajunExpress's post above for spelling.
    THats what I get for cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    I have been wondering why Coach doesnt use Felps as DH rather than Corbello, who has good patience and a great eye but a low Batting average.

It seems like a no-brainer since Felps has been so clutch this season.

However, now that I think about it Coach may want Felps, a clutch hitter, on the bench at his disposal for a situation just like we saw Sunday.

It is not that uncommon for a "slapper" to be up in a situation that would favor a batter who drives the ball. Coach may think that Felps is more valuable to him on the bench, where he can bat her when the time is right, rather than as DH.

Just a thought.
    I think that is precisely the reason.

Thread Information