Thread: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

1. Default University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

A bronze statue of Dr. Edwin L. Stephens, the University of Louisiana’s first president, was dedicated on campus Friday, near live oaks he planted more than 100 years ago.

The outdoor, public art is next to Girard Hall, near the intersection of Johnston Street and University Avenue. University President Dr. Joseph Savoie and former president Dr. Ray P. Authement unveiled the life-size image of Stephens during a ceremony.

Alumni, faculty, staff and students attended the event. Special guests included some members of the Class of 1964, who are celebrating their Golden Reunion this weekend.

Stephens was just 27 when he was named president in 1900 by the school’s board of trustees. He was teaching chemistry and physics at Boy’s High School in New Orleans.

“History proved that the board of trustees made an excellent choice. He was intelligent, tireless and passionate about building a higher education institution for the ages,” Savoie said during the ceremony.

During his 38-year tenure, Stephens helped transform an empty sugar cane field into a college campus. He directed construction of the school's first buildings and the expansion of its curriculum. Under his leadership, it began granting bachelor's degrees.

Sculptor Patrick Miller created the life-size image of Stephens, relying on vintage photographs. He created the sculpture in his Ponchatoula, La., studio.

The statue’s details reflect Stephens’ legacy. For example, he holds an acorn in his right hand. Stephens was an advocate for the trees. In addition to planting oaks on campus, he established the Live Oak Society, a registry of mature live oaks that now includes more than 7,000 trees in 14 states.

A photo taken when Stephens was a young man shows that fleurs-de-lis were embroidered on the fabric of his ascot. Miller repeated the design on the statue.

In 1926, Stephens helped design the school’s seal; he included the fleur-de-lis to represent Louisiana’s historical connection to France.

Today, the stylized lily is also part of the University’s academic logo. It recognizes Acadiana’s French heritage and is a symbolic connection between the past and present.

Louisiana.edu

Default Re: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

Went by campus and took a few pics of the statue. Pretty neat: I like that he is holding an acorn in one hand, and also 'standing' on a bunch of leaves, acorns, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images    

3. Default Re: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

In my opinion Dr. Edwin L. Stephens' greatest achievement was understanding that sports was the 'front porch' of the Institution.

The implementation of this knowledge caused UL to go from startup to second largest college in the State in a mere 38 years.

He had football ready to go from year one, and was working to establish an athletic association as soon as the school opened.

Default Re: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

I rode my bike to campus on Saturday.wonderful statue and plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In my opinion Dr. Edwin L. Stephens' greatest achievement was understanding that sports was the 'front porch' of the Institution.

The implementation of this knowledge caused UL to go from startup to second largest college in the State in a mere 38 years.

He had football ready to go from year one, and was working to establish an athletic association as soon as the school opened.

In March, 1908, Stephens wrote to the Louisiana athletic association (regarding track) and "suggested allowing smaller schools a head start of one-half yard in the 100-yard dash; one yard in the 220; two yards in the 440; three yards in the 880; four yards in the mile; and spotting them one inch each in the high jump, broad jump, and pole vault; and three inches in the shot put."

This letter was an attempt to make the events more competitive for students, exciting for the fans, and eliminate the competitive advantage that usually went to the larger schools during that era.

Stephens believed in making sports competitive and rewarding for all participants, without the extreme emphasis on the win/loss column which is sometimes seen in more modern times, which can motivate cheating to win.

This was an era without athletic scholarships, free admission for students, wide participation by students in athletics, and with some students competing in three or more sports.

Stephens was a great President, deserves the statue as an honor, and knew how to blend academics and athletics during his time.
    Last edited by USL1970; May 19th, 2014 at 12:42 pm. Reason: correct error "academics and athletics" in last sentencs

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    In March, 1908, Stephens wrote to the Louisiana athletic association (regarding track) and "suggested allowing smaller schools a head start of one-half yard in the 100-yard dash; one yard in the 220; two yards in the 440; three yards in the 880; four yards in the mile; and spotting them one inch each in the high jump, broad jump, and pole vault; and three inches in the shot put."

This letter was an attempt to make the events more competitive for students, exciting for the fans, and eliminate the competitive advantage that usually went to the larger schools during that era.

Stephens believed in making sports competitive and rewarding for all participants, without the extreme emphasis on the win/loss column which is sometimes seen in more modern times, which can motivate cheating to win.

This was an era without academic scholarships, free admission for students, wide participation by students in athletics, and with some students competing in three or more sports.

Stephens was a great President, deserves the statue as an honor, and knew how to blend athletics and athletics during his time.
    Agreed. Shame to say I did not know much about him before this, but the more I learn, the more I am impressed by him.

7. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post

This was an era without athletic scholarships, free admission for students, wide participation by students in athletics, and with some students competing in three or more sports.

Stephens was a great President, deserves the statue as an honor, and knew how to blend academics and athletics during his time.
    So president Stevens view of things is run sports like the amateurs at drag races. Some guys get the green light way before their competition to start the race. I am not a fan of that, but I get the competition instead of the win mentality. Cannot do that when you are building multi million dollar facilities, and in some instances over a half billion like TAMU new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So president Stevens view of things is run sports like the amateurs at drag races. Some guys get the green light way before their competition to start the race. I am not a fan of that, but I get the competition instead of the win mentality. Cannot do that when you are building multi million dollar facilities, and in some instances over a half billion like TAMU new stadium.
    I believe Stephens was a great man "of his time" and did what was needed to advance the college . times have changed with athletic scholarships, tv, multi-million dollar stadiums, etc.

We should to judge him during his era . and he was one of the best at increasing competition and participation of the students.

9. Default Re: University of Louisiana adds public art to campus to honor its first president

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    UL was basically land locked in the beginning, trains were it.

Anything to increase competitive balance would encourage travel to and fro.

Thread Information