Thread: Rumor out of Tulane

NCAA Weird rumor out of Tulane

Tulane, D3?

Link

2. Default

I can't fathom Tulane bypassing D1AA on the way down.

What you have here is a Tulane fan whistling of worst case scenario as a wake up call.

With D3 sports Tulane would get zero national publicity.

Ragin' Cajuns

If this rumor is true, then maybe UL could start thinking about switching to CUSA.

UL Football Re: Weird rumor out of Tulane

Originally posted by SwampFox
    Tulane, D3?

Link

I am coming up empty on that link, but I think that any rumor about Tulane dropping is very suspect. They are not dropping. Things are pretty good on Willow Street, and they added another game at TG for this fall to get that college atmosphere. I really hate to see things going so well for the Wave, but I will always post the truth as I see it.:confused:

rebel02
    Ragin Cajun for Life

If this rumor is true, then maybe UL could start thinking about switching to CUSA.

Hey Reb, after their #1 problem, a shrinking local fanbase, Tulane's next problem IS CUSA.

CUSA costs too much and returns too little (Chris Steakhouse appetites on red beans & rice paychecks for Tulane, Houston, UAB etc.).

6. Default LoL

Yeah, We are dropping to D3. We averaged almost 5 times the *actual* attendance at our football games compared to UL and we are in the top 10 in baseball attendance for 03 so far (with the 20,000+ still looming ahead vs LSU at the dome). We won a chrismas day bowl game last year (plus 2 bowl wins in the last 4), and have won a CUSA title in every major sport except basketball at some point in the last 4 years. Basketball was a national contender until the death penalty and the school is still recovering from that after 12 years (perry clark did a great job starting from scratchwhich is why miami picked him up 3 years ago). The in every sport except baseball the school is a stepping stones for coaches to go to big time DI programs (Rick is happy where he is).

Further, on top of all of that, their football and baseball recruiting seasons were phenomenal and they should have great seasons for some time. To top it all off, football and baseball have both finished the season ranked in the top 10 in the last 4 years.

yeah, we are going straight to DIII because obviously we cannot compete in DI.

Look, I know you guys have this MAJOR inferiority complex, and it is well deserved. NO academic achievements, NO athletic achievements to speak of at all (good run in the CWS, but you guys had a cakewalk to get there through your regional and SR and that team showed it was a typical group of classless bafoons (remember what happened witht he pitching staff that fall righta whole team of pot-heads). The funny thing is how you guys look down upon UNO so much. UNO has nearly 10 times the budget of UL, has advanced research centers in technology with corporate backing and is the second largest school in the state, with 25% more enrollment than UL. You guys try way to hard.

Please do not try to compare yourselves to Tulane or LSU in the future, it makes you look ridiculous. Aim for UNO, that is a reasonable goal in the next few years.

Sorry if i came off too strong, it is just you guys believe in your school so much that you fail to see the reality of the situation.which is that the NCAA WILL drop UL to D2 if they cant get those football numbers up, ever since Jake left you guys have been in jeopardy and with the *amazing* talent at QB you have i dont see that changing soon (Van Cleave was amazing to watch, you have to believe the coaches told him what to do for each play, the poor guy just couldnt perform)

Anyway. I wish the baseball team the best of luck, i think robicheaux got a raw deal in not getting the LSU job, behind rick jones he is one of the best coaches in the country, bar none. I hope to see you guys make SB tourney so that you can win it and meet us in the postseason.

-RollWave

Tulane 03, the message here I see is not so much that Tulane is going DIII but that Tulane MUST INCREASE ITS FUNDING. In an attempt to hang with the big boys Tulane and its CUSAmates have spent big money on coaching staffs, recruiting and going all over creation to play each other. So where is the pay off for you, UAB and Houston (just to name three CUSA programs)in greater attendance and support? It isn't happening.

If we have one thing going for us right now, it is that we are not outspending our revenue. We are not $5-7 million in the hole. If we make it, it will be because we awakened a dormant, slumbering fanbase and got people and money into the program. It won't be because we cut our spending in half and dropped programs. One thing Ray A didn't do to us and that is he didn't spend UL athletics into oblivion. I like our chances and good luck with yours.

Default Re: LoL

Originally posted by RollWave03
    Yeah, We are dropping to D3. We averaged almost 5 times the *actual* attendance at our football games compared to UL and we are in the top 10 in baseball attendance for 03 so far (with the 20,000+ still looming ahead vs LSU at the dome). We won a chrismas day bowl game last year (plus 2 bowl wins in the last 4), and have won a CUSA title in every major sport except basketball at some point in the last 4 years. Basketball was a national contender until the death penalty and the school is still recovering from that after 12 years (perry clark did a great job starting from scratchwhich is why miami picked him up 3 years ago). The in every sport except baseball the school is a stepping stones for coaches to go to big time DI programs (Rick is happy where he is).

Further, on top of all of that, their football and baseball recruiting seasons were phenomenal and they should have great seasons for some time. To top it all off, football and baseball have both finished the season ranked in the top 10 in the last 4 years.

yeah, we are going straight to DIII because obviously we cannot compete in DI.

Look, I know you guys have this MAJOR inferiority complex, and it is well deserved. NO academic achievements, NO athletic achievements to speak of at all (good run in the CWS, but you guys had a cakewalk to get there through your regional and SR and that team showed it was a typical group of classless bafoons (remember what happened witht he pitching staff that fall righta whole team of pot-heads). The funny thing is how you guys look down upon UNO so much. UNO has nearly 10 times the budget of UL, has advanced research centers in technology with corporate backing and is the second largest school in the state, with 25% more enrollment than UL. You guys try way to hard.

Please do not try to compare yourselves to Tulane or LSU in the future, it makes you look ridiculous. Aim for UNO, that is a reasonable goal in the next few years.

Sorry if i came off too strong, it is just you guys believe in your school so much that you fail to see the reality of the situation.which is that the NCAA WILL drop UL to D2 if they cant get those football numbers up, ever since Jake left you guys have been in jeopardy and with the *amazing* talent at QB you have i dont see that changing soon (Van Cleave was amazing to watch, you have to believe the coaches told him what to do for each play, the poor guy just couldnt perform)

Anyway. I wish the baseball team the best of luck, i think robicheaux got a raw deal in not getting the LSU job, behind rick jones he is one of the best coaches in the country, bar none. I hope to see you guys make SB tourney so that you can win it and meet us in the postseason.

-RollWave
    Little defensive are'nt we Hey, that rumor was off YOUR message board, I saw nobody here saying any of those things but yet you feel the need to try and put us down, you must need to do so to make yourself feel better. If that works for you go ahead but addressing the rumor/question without the BS about our program would have been a better route for you to take.

Yes Swamp, Tulane's situation is all our fault. From the 04/23/03 Advocate -

Tulane mulling future of atheltics program

Advocate staff report
    When Tulane scheduled its Tulane Athletic Fund Spring Tour for tonight at the Fox & Hound restaurant and bar, a possible deemphasis to below Division I was not expected on the menu. But it may well be when Tulane fans congregate at 6:15 p.m. and later hear from football coach Chris Scelfo, men's basketball coach Shawn Finney, women's basketball coach Lisa Stockton, Athletic Director Rick Dickson and other coaches and officials.

Tulane President Scott Cowen recently sent a letter to Green Wave faculty, staff and students concerning the future role of intercollegiate athletics at Tulane.

"The (Tulane) board's discussion and study of the university's intercollegiate athletics program have centered on the following strategic question: Given the changing landscape of Division I intercollegiate athletics and the academic mission, goals and resources of Tulane University, what type of intercollegiate athletics program is in the best long-term interests of the university?" Cowen asks in the letter.

"In answering this question, the board and senior university leadership are being guided by what course of action most effectively allows the university to fulfill its academic mission and goals," the letter says. "The board has formed an eight-member committee to help with research and fact finding. The committee will present its findings to the board on May 29."

Tulane's athletic department has long not been a money maker and its football program is notorious for low attendance. In order to stay in Division I, all NCAA schools will have to average at least 17,000 actual fans beginning with the 2005 season.

"The fact that out of this difficult exercise, there can be a better outcome, that's the part I'm staying focused on," Dickson said in Tuesday's Times-Picayune. "Yes, the other range of options (lowering its divisions) or choices could be there."

Tulane is coming off its fourth winning season in six years and second winning season in the last three under Scelfo. The Wave finished 8-5 last season after beating Hawaii 36-28 in the Hawaii Bowl. A study of the 55 schools in bowls last season showed Tulane had the highest graduation rate at 80 percent.

Scelfo went 3-8 in his first season in 1999, 6-5 in 2000 and 3-9 in 2001. He was signed through the 2007 season after last season. The public is invited to tonight's tour stop free of charge.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/._mull001.shtml
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Default

Originally posted by Turbine
    What you have here is a Tulane fan whistling of worst case scenario as a wake up call.
    I stand by that opinion it was a publicity stunt.

Turbine, did you assign me the great "logo" picture of the surf hitting the beach near sunset? If you did then thanks, its great. Seems like I tried at one point to add a pic like that and I didn't get it done.

I too stand by my statement earlier in this thread that in the final analysis the Tulane situation is - like ours and many others - all about the bottom line.

Thread Information