Thread: Can I get a Vermilion & White Spring Game update?

1. I have a Question Can I get a Vermilion & White Spring Game update?

I worked all night, and wanted to rest an hour before going to the game, so I set my clock for 11 . . . . .PM

I hope someone was able to take some pictures, or at the very least give some highlights.

ps Did the Cajuns win?

Hey Turbine, pretty good showing by the team and quite a few fans were there. Justin Taylor was injured in the first half, I do not know how serious but he did not play anymore. Players that impressed me were Jerry Babb, Fred Stamps and a couple of surprises Ricky Thomas and Josh Harrison. Harrison ran the ball extremely well. He was quick to hit the open hole and even quicker once he got through it. I only remember him losing yards on one play. He ran for a touchdown (not sure how long 35 or 40 yards) and looking at him he looked more than his listed 175lbs. He by far impressed me the most and surprised me the most. I noticed another freshman, Brandon Cox played almost the entire scrimmage at right tackle, while others seemed to alternate at left tackle (Glover & Brooks) and center (Harvey & Fane). Babb ran the ball very well when the quarterbacks went live (could be tackled) and his passing improved at the game went on, making several good throws to Bartel and Stamps. All running backs (Lindon, Johnson, Rix and Harrison) ran the ball very hard, and I was impressed with their effort and I think we will see a great improvement in the running game this fall. On defense Antonio Floyd and Eugene Kwarteng played very well to me as did David Prater and Ricky Thomas. I loved the hustle and team spirit showed during the scrimmage. Truthfully did not watch the defense as close as I was involved in a lengthy discussion with DaddyCajun from the Delphi forum on the up coming improvements we can look forward to seeing at the Cajun Basin
    Missed seeing you, Zee, Don and Guru Maybe next time.

3. Default

Thanks Swampfox! Did you bring your camera?

Mine is still in Mississippi and I meant to by a disposable one on the way there but I was house hunting this morning and running late to the game. So I forgot, really wish I had not could have gotten some good shots with the great weather we had.

How about the catch by speedster Kimme Lewis. This big wide reciever can fly!

UL Football

I missed that one, must have been running my mouth
    Don, do you agree with me about Harrison?

I liked the run blocking Saturday, it was better than last year, always can use more work though. The pass blocking needs a lot of work. For now this is ok becuase the running backs looked great to me. I see a lot more speed than last year, offense and defense. I don't know if the offensive line was slow as much as Darryl Blappert was so fast. The big pass plays that resulted in the 95 yard touchdown are a sign of speed where the receiver has all the angles. On the running side I can't wait to see Brandon Cox blocking for Josh Harrison for the next few years. Except for a few key breakdowns the defense looked awesome and this is normal in the spring where the defense is more individual oriented. I can't wait to see G.W Rudick, Ross Brubracher, and Justin Venable all on the field. Wendall Williams is wired to hit and will rack up some numbers. Jerry Babb was more mobil than I expected but he needs to practice throwing all summer. In a real game you can't aford to get warmed up. Stamps picked up where he left off, actually ahead of where he left off. Add Kimmie Lewis to Stamps and Bartel and Babb will have no shortage of targets. I agree with Swampfox the Bustle and team spirit is far better than years past.

UL Football

I agree that the team looks MUCH better than a year ago. They were sharper, quicker and played with more confidence. After all, they have had a year to learn the new scheme. Also, keep in mind we have a number of plyers coming in from JUCO's and new signees, who will have an impact in the fall. Our QB's will only be better with the addition of Reickita. 2003 will really be a special year.

Thread Information