Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk Radio voted off the UL Buses

1. Default Talk Radio voted off the UL Buses

UL poll rejects talk radio

UL students have spoken, and those voices have been heard.

However, conversations aired on the radios on buses transporting students to campus from Cajun Field are another matter.

The university has informed its student bus drivers that music is an acceptable choice, while talk radio programs are not, after recent complaints about program selection prompted a student survey by Dr. Simon Broussard, head of Parking and Transit.

"There were complaints, so Parking and Transit decided to conduct a poll of students, asking them what they would most like to listen to," said Public Relations and News Services Director Julie Dronet. "It came up music."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown • bbrown@theadvertiser.com • September 25, 2008

Default Re: UL Radio Station voted off the UL Buses

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    I was listening to the Walton & Johnson radio show the other morning when a UL student called in and said UL was banning W & J! Of course, they jumped all over that. Then the young lady said it was all talk radio not just W&J that was banned. But they still ran with it. It made the school look pretty petty and small-time (kind of like high school). Very disappointing. I may not agree with many of the talking heads but I thought universities were all about free speech. I guess I was wrong about my alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ I was listening to the Walton & Johnson radio show the other morning when a UL student called in and said UL was banning W & J! Of course, they jumped all over that. Then the young lady said it was all talk radio not just W&J that was banned. But they still ran with it. It made the school look pretty petty and small-time (kind of like high school). Very disappointing. I may not agree with many of the talking heads but I thought universities were all about free speech. I guess I was wrong about my alma mater. _
    W & J say some pretty offensive stuff. Prolly didn't go ever too well with a lot of people on the bus b/c of that. I also think you are incorrect. UL did promote free speech in this. The students spoke and the majority of the students decided not to allow the racey comments made on the show. I honestly agree with it.

This is a GREAT IDEA Re: UL Radio Station voted off the UL Buses

Now if they can only vote on how may should attend the football games. Let's see, 16,000 plus students and only 10% attend. Now that would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    W & J say some pretty offensive stuff. Prolly didn't go ever too well with a lot of people on the bus b/c of that. I also think you are incorrect. UL did promote free speech in this. The students spoke and the majority of the students decided not to allow the racey comments made on the show. I honestly agree with it.
    I find it awfully funny when people say Walton and Johnson is offensive, and maybe they are to some, but do you listen to music nowadays? The majority of today's music is just as offensive. As for the free speech thing -- allowing students to vote isn't necessarily free speech. Free speech to me would be allowing the driver to put the radio on whatever station they please.

What the university should do is say the radio must stay on one station, KRVS for example, and if you dont like it then bring your own music to listen to. Problem solved.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL Radio Station voted off the UL Buses

Quote Originally Posted by Cover2 View Post
    What the university should do is say the radio must stay on one station, KRVS for example, and if you dont like it then bring your own music to listen to. Problem solved. _
    Tyren Johnson was actually interviewed on the news and said he does exactly that. I think the busses should just play the fight song over and over, or put it on 1420!!!

7. Default Re: UL Radio Station voted off the UL Buses

Well then, I predict these Walton & Johnson fellers might make it big someday.

I'm mean look what getting banned from UL did for the Pine Leaf Boys.

really, this is what they are spending time on?

turn the damn things off and move on to more important topics

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL Radio Station voted off the UL Buses

I'm saddened by this. A college campus is the last place you'd expect censorship. This was my reply to the blog on the bottom of the article on theadvertiser.com:

I'm a student at UL, and I think this is just ridiculous! A college campus is the last place you would expect to see censorship! You gotta realize, the bus ride from Cajun Field to campus, or vice versa is what, maybe 5 or 10 minutes? Talk to the person next to you, listen to your iPod, or just block out the radio! You're on the bus for 10 MINUTES, while these bus drivers are on the bus for 8 HOURS!

Furthermore, this is COLLEGE, I hear things from professors every day I don't necissarily agree with, but I'm not going to go complain to the Dean about them! College is the time where you learn that there are different opinions out there, and you won't agree with most of them. Its where you learn to disregard things you don't agree with and don't let them get to you. Its where you learn that EVERYBODY has the right to say WHATEVER they want, and if you don't agree, oh well, grow up. These TWO students, yes TWO, not a bus load, not a group, but TWO students were so narrowminded that they couldn't handle hearing sombody else's view and had to start an Obama chant, then complain so that NOBODY can listen to talk radio anymore.

I'm a moderate, so I kinda fall right in the middle of left and right, but I think its funny that these two students came from the left, liberal side, the side that preaches tolerance for things like this!

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    _ really, this is what they are spending time on?

turn the damn things off and move on to more important topics _
    Excellent suggestion!!

I was a UL bus driva for 4 years. Being the captain of my ship at the time, I WAS the boss. We had to the right to kick anyone off if we felt it was needed, listened to what we wanted, etc. We were driving for 4,6,8 hours at a time. And as the captain, I even put a Larry the Cable guy CD on and the students loved it. Hell, they were laughing as much as I was.It helped pass the time for me by listening to what I wanted. I was a bus driver, not a DJ who had to please the audience. Hold on! Don't the professors talk for their lectures? Ban that too!! Maybe they oughta make the professors sing to make it more appealing.

I also heard about the conversation on W&J and I must say, I would never make any of my black friends sit through those terrible, demeaning, and altogether innacurate impersonations.

It is UNFORTUNATE that american opinions are shaped by this non-news, BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover2 View Post
    _ I find it awfully funny when people say Walton and Johnson is offensive, and maybe they are to some, but do you listen to music nowadays? The majority of today's music is just as offensive. As for the free speech thing -- allowing students to vote isn't necessarily free speech. Free speech to me would be allowing the driver to put the radio on whatever station they please.

What the university should do is say the radio must stay on one station, KRVS for example, and if you dont like it then bring your own music to listen to. Problem solved. _
    Have you ever heard of the notion "captive audience", free speech is only free speech when people are not forced to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ Now if they can only vote on how may should attend the football games. Let's see, 16,000 plus students and only 10% attend. Now that would be a start. _

Ding Ding, we have a winner!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _ I'm saddened by this. A college campus is the last place you'd expect censorship. This was my reply to the blog on the bottom of the article on theadvertiser.com:

I'm a student at UL, and I think this is just ridiculous! A college campus is the last place you would expect to see censorship! You gotta realize, the bus ride from Cajun Field to campus, or vice versa is what, maybe 5 or 10 minutes? Talk to the person next to you, listen to your iPod, or just block out the radio! You're on the bus for 10 MINUTES, while these bus drivers are on the bus for 8 HOURS!

Furthermore, this is COLLEGE, I hear things from professors every day I don't necissarily agree with, but I'm not going to go complain to the Dean about them! College is the time where you learn that there are different opinions out there, and you won't agree with most of them. Its where you learn to disregard things you don't agree with and don't let them get to you. Its where you learn that EVERYBODY has the right to say WHATEVER they want, and if you don't agree, oh well, grow up. These TWO students, yes TWO, not a bus load, not a group, but TWO students were so narrowminded that they couldn't handle hearing sombody else's view and had to start an Obama chant, then complain so that NOBODY can listen to talk radio anymore.

I'm a moderate, so I kinda fall right in the middle of left and right, but I think its funny that these two students came from the left, liberal side, the side that preaches tolerance for things like this! _

Julie Dronet proves once again that she is an idiot. This was a "non issue" and now is it blown way out of porportion making our university look foolish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information