Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New BaseBall Assistant Coach is Mike Trahan

1. UL Baseball New BaseBall Assistant Coach is Mike Trahan

Jay is reporting on BeV . . . coach Robichaux has hired a new assistant baseball coach.

I did not get the name. Posted via http://igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy

UL's baseball program turned to an in-state Sun Belt foe to finalize its coaching staff.

Mike Trahan, an assistant at ULM, is expected to be hired for the same position with the Ragin' Cajuns. He would replace John Szefc, who left for the University of Kansas in August.

On Thursday morning, UL head coach Tony Robichaux recommended the hiring of Trahan to athletic director David Walker. Once Walker passes it along to UL president Joseph Savoie, the hiring would become official with the approval by the UL system board of supervisors.

The rest of the story

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.809120337/1006

Default Re: New Assistant Hired

Come on T, you gotta be on your toes.

3. Default Re: New Assistant Hired

Mike Trahan

Last stop ULM hitting coach among other duties
    igeaux.mobi

Mike Trahan, Formerly with ULM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Info from ULMathletics.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Trahan begins his second season as an assistant coach for the Warhawks. Trahan was hired in the summer of 2006 to work with the ULM infielders and hitters, and the results were immediate.

In his first year, the Warhawks crushed the school home run record with 70 on the season, passing the previous mark of 62 set in 1986.

ULM also finished the season ranked 14th in the NCAA averaging 1.23 home runs per game and 28th in the nation with a slugging percentage of .477. The Warhawks also ranked third in the Sun Belt in with 120 doubles and 16 triples.

Trahan joined the ULM staff after spending five seasons as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at McNeese State.

While with the Cowboys, Trahan helped guide the club to a pair of Southland Conference championships (2003, 2006) and had several recruiting classes recognized by Baseball America. The 2003 club advanced to the NCAA Tournament, playing in the Houston Regional at Rice.

Under Trahan, the Cowboys gained national recognition for their efforts on offense. McNeese State had two Freshmen All-Americans during his tenure; Taylor Faul (.339) and Bryan Cartie (.348). Trahan also coached Dooley Prince, the Southland Conference’s 2003 Freshman of the Year.

In his four years with McNeese State, Trahan coached seven players selected in the Major League Baseball draft, including 2005 first round pick Jacob Marceaux (29th overall, Florida Marlins). In 2003, McNeese shortstop Lance Dawkins was selected in the 20th round by the Chicago Cubs.

He began his coaching career at LaGrange High School in Lake Charles, La. He spent two seasons with the Gators before returning to his alma mater, McNeese State.

Trahan had a standout career as an infielder for the Cowboys. He was named to the All-Southland Conference team as a second-baseman in 1996 and 1997. In addition, he was also named Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year and was a First Team All-Louisiana selection in 1996.

He began his playing career at Panola Junior College where he put together back-to-back All-Conference seasons.

After college, Trahan played four years of professional baseball from 1997 to 2001. He played infield in the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization and had stops with the Fargo-Morehead Redhawks, Charleston Riverdogs and Winnipeg Goldeyes. He was named to the Northern League All-Star team following the 1997 season.

A natural athlete, Trahan lettered in four sports in high school. As a quarterback, he guided his Jennings High School football team to a state championship win in 1992.

Trahan earned his bachelor’s degree in liberal studies from McNeese State in 2002. He is married the former Clare LeBlanc.

Attached Images Attached Images  

I think it works, the past few years ULM have scored some serious runs. we struggled with that last year.

We get more runs, they lose a coach. I like it.

I think this is a good hire. We struggled last year at the plate. If we can improve our hitting, the pitchers won't have as much pressure placed on them to hold a team to 2-3 runs.

I like the hire. I vaguely remember him being pretty animated. He seems to be a decent recruiter. I like his Lake Charles connection. Barbe still has a very good program. I just hope he is committed to a complete offense. We need to be able to drive the ball in the gaps and out the yard, but when we need to move the runner over, we need to be able to do that too.

I played both football, baseball, and graduated with Coach Trahan in Jennings. He was a good player and from what I hear is a good recruiter. The guy lives baseball and always has. While at McNeese and ULM he always admired the UL program and talked about how it was tough to recruit against UL, so now he is recruiting for us. I wish him the best of luck and I think he will really enjoy Lafayette coming from Monroe and Lake Charles.

Now we need to hire another Jennings connection Matt Viator the football HC at McNeese and our football program will be in very good hands.

9. Default Re: New Assistant Hired

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _ I think it works, the past few years ULM have scored some serious runs. we struggled with that last year.

We get more runs, they lose a coach. I like it. _
    Zan--the guy kinda looks a lil like you!!!!!

Default Trahan to be named new assistant

Default Re: New Assistant Hired ( Mike Trahan )

This is a good hire

Default Re: New Assistant Hired ( Mike Trahan )

Yea I also like this a whole lot, I just hope he can teach us how to lay down a bunt!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: New Assistant Hired ( Mike Trahan )

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    _ This is a good hire _
    i think coach robe got a guy he really wanted. i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _ Mike Trahan, Formerly with ULM

Info from ULMathletics.com
    Mike Trahan begins his second season as an assistant coach for the Warhawks. Trahan was hired in the summer of 2006 to work with the ULM infielders and hitters, and the results were immediate.

In his first year, the Warhawks crushed the school home run record with 70 on the season, passing the previous mark of 62 set in 1986.

ULM also finished the season ranked 14th in the NCAA averaging 1.23 home runs per game and 28th in the nation with a slugging percentage of .477. The Warhawks also ranked third in the Sun Belt in with 120 doubles and 16 triples.

Trahan joined the ULM staff after spending five seasons as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at McNeese State.

While with the Cowboys, Trahan helped guide the club to a pair of Southland Conference championships (2003, 2006) and had several recruiting classes recognized by Baseball America. The 2003 club advanced to the NCAA Tournament, playing in the Houston Regional at Rice.

Under Trahan, the Cowboys gained national recognition for their efforts on offense. McNeese State had two Freshmen All-Americans during his tenure; Taylor Faul (.339) and Bryan Cartie (.348). Trahan also coached Dooley Prince, the Southland Conference’s 2003 Freshman of the Year.

In his four years with McNeese State, Trahan coached seven players selected in the Major League Baseball draft, including 2005 first round pick Jacob Marceaux (29th overall, Florida Marlins). In 2003, McNeese shortstop Lance Dawkins was selected in the 20th round by the Chicago Cubs.

He began his coaching career at LaGrange High School in Lake Charles, La. He spent two seasons with the Gators before returning to his alma mater, McNeese State.

Trahan had a standout career as an infielder for the Cowboys. He was named to the All-Southland Conference team as a second-baseman in 1996 and 1997. In addition, he was also named Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year and was a First Team All-Louisiana selection in 1996.

He began his playing career at Panola Junior College where he put together back-to-back All-Conference seasons.

After college, Trahan played four years of professional baseball from 1997 to 2001. He played infield in the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization and had stops with the Fargo-Morehead Redhawks, Charleston Riverdogs and Winnipeg Goldeyes. He was named to the Northern League All-Star team following the 1997 season.

A natural athlete, Trahan lettered in four sports in high school. As a quarterback, he guided his Jennings High School football team to a state championship win in 1992.

Trahan earned his bachelor’s degree in liberal studies from McNeese State in 2002. He is married the former Clare LeBlanc. _
    Can someone photo shop that guy a new lid?

Default Tray-Hand

What an aro-Gent SOB. This ain't Lake Charles this is Cajun Country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information