Thread: Basketball Banquet Award Winners

Default Basketball Banquet Award Winners

Awards were presented to players for various accomplishments at Tuesday night's banquet. No big surprises in the winners but I will list them here;

Academics-Bryant Mbamalu
    Leadership-Bryant Mbamalu
    Defensive Player of Year-Elridge Moore
    Best Rebounder-Shawn Long
    Player of Year-Elfrid Payton

I was a little surprised Moore was chosen for best defensive player over Payton but he did have the challenge of playing inside at 6'5".

Coach did cover lots of other individual accomplishments by the guys in his remarks. What I noticed there was how much Shawn Long contributed. When you hear where he stood in the nation in things like rebounding and double doubles you realize how much he is under appreciated. He also was one of the top three point shooters in the conference on a percentage basis. When you are a top rebounder and three point shooter you are an outstanding overall player.

Highlight for me was hearing Coach Marlin say he enjoyed telling Ron Harper good luck in CUSA after the SBC tournament semi final game and telling Ron Hunter good luck in the NIT after the SBC finals.

I am optimistic more good times are ahead for Cajun basketball.

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Banquet Award Winners

Here are some of the final numbers for the NCAA and S-BC.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Basketball Banquet Award Winners

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Awards were presented to players for various accomplishments at Tuesday night's banquet. No big surprises in the winners but I will list them here;

Academics-Bryant Mbamalu
    Leadership-Bryant Mbamalu
    Defensive Player of Year-Elridge Moore
    Best Rebounder-Shawn Long
    Player of Year-Elfrid Payton

I was a little surprised Moore was chosen for best defensive player over Payton but he did have the challenge of playing inside at 6'5".

Coach did cover lots of other individual accomplishments by the guys in his remarks. What I noticed there was how much Shawn Long contributed. When you hear where he stood in the nation in things like rebounding and double doubles you realize how much he is under appreciated. He also was one of the top three point shooters in the conference on a percentage basis. When you are a top rebounder and three point shooter you are an outstanding overall player.

Highlight for me was hearing Coach Marlin say he enjoyed telling Ron Harper good luck in CUSA after the SBC tournament semi final game and telling Ron Hunter good luck in the NIT after the SBC finals.

I am optimistic more good times are ahead for Cajun basketball.
    Interesting that the National Defensive Player of the Year award winner was not named the Defensive Player of the Year on the team.

wow so Elfrid was the only college player this past year to record a triple double. Pretty damn impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    wow so Elfrid was the only college player this past year to record a triple double. Pretty damn impressive
    No, a few did. No one recorded multiple

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    No, a few did. No one recorded multiple
    you are right 9 other people did
    was just confused when it said only 1 person was ranked in that category

Thanks, I guess I should have clarified the triple double.

Thread Information