Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Bustle!!!

Default Re: Bustle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ The man is under contract through 2011. That is plenty of time to make sure we continue to progress without falling back once more. There needs to be no extension given at this time nor in the next year or so. _
    We have won 3 in a row! When was the last time that happened? Let's enjoy!

_ The man is under contract through 2011. That is plenty of time to make sure we continue to progress without falling back once more. There needs to be no extension given at this time nor in the next year or so. _
    I don't know about extensions but I think they definitely need to be ready to give out raises at the end of the season. We need to make sure we keep the staff intact. I'm afraid we may lose some really good assitants to other programs if we are not ready to boost their salaries. I'm not suggesting that we would or should be able to outbid BCS programs but we should not lose them to other mid-majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ I don't know about extensions but I think they definitely need to be ready to give out raises at the end of the season. We need to make sure we keep the staff intact. I'm afraid we may lose some really good assitants to other programs if we are not ready to boost their salaries. I'm not suggesting that we would or should be able to outbid BCS programs but we should not lose them to other mid-majors. _

Again, I'm not trying to overreact to anything. After the program has gotten to where it did the last several years, I was one of the last people to be calling for Bustle's job. To the contrary this year where we've played tremendously, I'm not ready to all of a sudden give out raises. I simply want to see consistency as a fan and contributor. I would be much more willing to do so after another solid year next year. These assistants aren't all of a sudden going to be hot coaching prospects after a .500 or winning season. You had ULM beat Alabama and have a winning season but you didn't see the other programs ravage through their coaching ranks. I just believe that we should be patient with our expectations and our rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ We have won 3 in a row! When was the last time that happened? Let's enjoy! _

I am extremely happy. Its hard for me to get my work done through the week because all I can think about is the next game. However, read my above post. There is nothing wrong with rewarding consistency rather than one good season out of 7. He is under contract for the next 3 years, we have time to do extensions and throw fat raises out there.

_ Again, I'm not trying to overreact to anything. After the program has gotten to where it did the last several years, I was one of the last people to be calling for Bustle's job. To the contrary this year where we've played tremendously, I'm not ready to all of a sudden give out raises. I simply want to see consistency as a fan and contributor. I would be much more willing to do so after another solid year next year. These assistants aren't all of a sudden going to be hot coaching prospects after a .500 or winning season. You had ULM beat Alabama and have a winning season but you didn't see the other programs ravage through their coaching ranks. I just believe that we should be patient with our expectations and our rewards. _
    We have lost several assistants over the past few years (not refering t the ones let go by Bustle). We lost a good secondary coach to Houston, we lost our OC (whether youthink he was good or not is beside the point) to S. Miss. I think there was one or tow more. They left for other mid-majors for more money. Assistant coaches aren't necessarily judged by the oveall team record. I am pretty sure that Coach Jenkins is cnsidered a hot commodity. He is our RB coach where I think it is safe to say we have had success. Of course much of that is due to Tyrell. But Coach Jenkins is also the one who took over the special teams this year and everyone here has seen a huge difference in that group this year. And if you have ever heard him speak he is one of th emost demanding and dynamic coaches around. We need to keep consistency onthe staff and we especially need to keep good young coaches like Jenkins. To do that we need to increase their salary.

_ We have lost several assistants over the past few years (not refering t the ones let go by Bustle). We lost a good secondary coach to Houston, we lost our OC (whether youthink he was good or not is beside the point) to S. Miss. I think there was one or tow more. They left for other mid-majors for more money. Assistant coaches aren't necessarily judged by the oveall team record. I am pretty sure that Coach Jenkins is cnsidered a hot commodity. He is our RB coach where I think it is safe to say we have had success. Of course much of that is due to Tyrell. But Coach Jenkins is also the one who took over the special teams this year and everyone here has seen a huge difference in that group this year. And if you have ever heard him speak he is one of th emost demanding and dynamic coaches around. We need to keep consistency onthe staff and we especially need to keep good young coaches like Jenkins. To do that we need to increase their salary. _

First of all, I think this staff as a whole is grossly underpaid but again, I'm not sure about the raises. These other coaches, I don't recall any leaving for much better offers except for Anderson who went to USM. I didn't get a chance to form an opinion of him since he was gone after one season and was credited with getting this offense to run for 3,000 yards in a season but look at wha they are doing without him. Coach Pry went to Memphis but he was one of the coaches let go by Bustle. As far as Jenkins goes, I think he is one of the most important coaches we have. Beyond his duties, remember, he's really the guy that recruits for us. He is the reason we landed Yobes Walker when other bigger programs could have had him and you could say the same for about a dozen players or so. He hits the trail hard and seems to maintain contact with many of those who we really want.

In regards to the raises, I think this is a delicate situation. My stance is that it is hard to reward one season out of so many disappointing seasons. The one thing that coach Bustle has not been known for is consistency. We win 4 here and lose 5 there. In these 6 win seasons, we either had a large losing streak or a large winning streak. I'm not saying I would be speaking out against it, but rather put an incentive out there to build upon what we've done. Now, if we were to somehow win out, go 8-4 and win the NO bowl, then I think I would have no argument since that is an unbelievable turnaround in one year and this staff would be well worth a fat raise.

_ First of all, I think this staff as a whole is grossly underpaid but again, I'm not sure about the raises. These other coaches, I don't recall any leaving for much better offers except for Anderson who went to USM. I didn't get a chance to form an opinion of him since he was gone after one season and was credited with getting this offense to run for 3,000 yards in a season but look at wha they are doing without him. Coach Pry went to Memphis but he was one of the coaches let go by Bustle. As far as Jenkins goes, I think he is one of the most important coaches we have. Beyond his duties, remember, he's really the guy that recruits for us. He is the reason we landed Yobes Walker when other bigger programs could have had him and you could say the same for about a dozen players or so. He hits the trail hard and seems to maintain contact with many of those who we really want.

In regards to the raises, I think this is a delicate situation. My stance is that it is hard to reward one season out of so many disappointing seasons. The one thing that coach Bustle has not been known for is consistency. We win 4 here and lose 5 there. In these 6 win seasons, we either had a large losing streak or a large winning streak. I'm not saying I would be speaking out against it, but rather put an incentive out there to build upon what we've done. Now, if we were to somehow win out, go 8-4 and win the NO bowl, then I think I would have no argument since that is an unbelievable turnaround in one year and this staff would be well worth a fat raise. _
    First of all if you think they are extremely underpaid then they deserve a raise win or lose. Second paying for a coach is about keeping good staff. If you can get as good as you have for less, then by all means no raise, but you and I both know at the level of pay we have it is a crap shoot as to we are getting as good, worse, or better when we get a new coach.

I say it is always better to pay what you need to keep good people than to try and duplicate it for probably more money. Finally in our program raising the assistants pay really is a one year commitment to that person, not a long term contract. You know we are going to have to pay more for a new guy in almost every case, don't lose somebody doing a good job for a few bucks either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ First of all if you think they are extremely underpaid then they deserve a raise win or lose. Second paying for a coach is about keeping good staff. If you can get as good as you have for less, then by all means no raise, but you and I both know at the level of pay we have it is a crap shoot as to we are getting as good, worse, or better when we get a new coach.

I say it is always better to pay what you need to keep good people than to try and duplicate it for probably more money. Finally in our program raising the assistants pay really is a one year commitment to that person, not a long term contract. You know we are going to have to pay more for a new guy in almost every case, don't lose somebody doing a good job for a few bucks either way. _

Point being, up until this year, EVERYONE doubted whether they were doing a good job. My point about being underpaid is that anybody who coaches here will be underpaid since we have one of the lowest paid staffs in D-1. I'm just saying that it is hard to reward spot success. People were fired up about losing Anderson because they though the offense was going to tank but it has actually flourished since Munoz arrived and Hudson has taken over.

I believe in paying to keep good people as I own several businesses but I always get burned when I reward too quickly. I just think there is a gray area that everybody needs to see. If we go 6-6 and obviously fall a bit at the end, do you still believe this? I don't think I do. However, as I stated, if we somehow maintained and finished strong at like 8-4 and got to a bowl and won, then I'm fine with pay raises and such. I believe you judge everyone from coaches to players after the season has played out.

_ Point being, up until this year, EVERYONE doubted whether they were doing a good job. My point about being underpaid is that anybody who coaches here will be underpaid since we have one of the lowest paid staffs in D-1. I'm just saying that it is hard to reward spot success. People were fired up about losing Anderson because they though the offense was going to tank but it has actually flourished since Munoz arrived and Hudson has taken over.

I believe in paying to keep good people as I own several businesses but I always get burned when I reward too quickly. I just think there is a gray area that everybody needs to see. If we go 6-6 and obviously fall a bit at the end, do you still believe this? I don't think I do. However, as I stated, if we somehow maintained and finished strong at like 8-4 and got to a bowl and won, then I'm fine with pay raises and such. I believe you judge everyone from coaches to players after the season has played out. _

I think YOU said the staff is extremely underpaid. If that is the case, and if they can get better pay, but would prefer to stay if paid fairly, then your comment about spot improvement makes no sense. I am saying by any logic good or bad performance being underpaid will not get as good or better candidates. If you don't like what you got fire him regardless of pay, and if you like him you need to make sure that he is not starving so that a hamburger looks like a rib-eye.

_ First of all, I think this staff as a whole is grossly underpaid but again, I'm not sure about the raises. These other coaches, I don't recall any leaving for much better offers except for Anderson who went to USM. I didn't get a chance to form an opinion of him since he was gone after one season and was credited with getting this offense to run for 3,000 yards in a season but look at wha they are doing without him. Coach Pry went to Memphis but he was one of the coaches let go by Bustle. As far as Jenkins goes, I think he is one of the most important coaches we have. Beyond his duties, remember, he's really the guy that recruits for us. He is the reason we landed Yobes Walker when other bigger programs could have had him and you could say the same for about a dozen players or so. He hits the trail hard and seems to maintain contact with many of those who we really want.

In regards to the raises, I think this is a delicate situation. My stance is that it is hard to reward one season out of so many disappointing seasons. The one thing that coach Bustle has not been known for is consistency. We win 4 here and lose 5 there. In these 6 win seasons, we either had a large losing streak or a large winning streak. I'm not saying I would be speaking out against it, but rather put an incentive out there to build upon what we've done. Now, if we were to somehow win out, go 8-4 and win the NO bowl, then I think I would have no argument since that is an unbelievable turnaround in one year and this staff would be well worth a fat raise. _
    We lost a pretty good defensive secondary coach a couple of years ago to the Houston Cougars. He liked it here but he had to think about his family and could not pass up the increase in money. At the moment I'm at a loss for his name. (Jennnings?).

If you don't like what you got fire him regardless of pay, and if you like him you need to make sure that he is not starving so that a hamburger looks like a rib-eye. _

Many times you see folks complain about not being able to find anyone to fill a position but when you look at the peanuts being offered, its easy to see why no one wants to take the job.

This is so COOL Re: Bustle!!!

_ We lost a pretty good defensive secondary coach a couple of years ago to the Houston Cougars. He liked it here but he had to think about his family and could not pass up the increase in money. At the moment I'm at a loss for his name. (Jennnings?). _

Everyone needs to realize that all assistant coaches play the musical chairs game, no matter the size of the program. They work at the pleasure of the head coach, who may or may not be a horses butt and they constantly move to enhance their resume and improve their knowledge. The depth of any head coaches' horses-butt mentality and the assistant's network of friends and peers usually dictates his frequency of moving. Since most of them are ADD , they are hard to hold down in one place anyway. Also, there are more of them than available top jobs, which makes it easy for a head coach to move em in and out so quickly. To think we will ever attract and keep a stable full of top assistants at any price is unrealistic and if we think we will keep top assistants when the majors can't do it is even more pie in the sky reasoning. As for giving someone a raise for doing thier job, make sure performance consistentcy is present before doing that. Consistent 6-6, 5-7, 7-5 records meets expectations and warrants no raise. Consistent 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons EXCEED expectations and DO warrant a raise.

Getting back to the original 1st post in this thread, its author needs to find something better to do with his time than be critical of those he cannot control. Sadly, he has a history of undermining the staff and administration with his negative rants, and would probably not be pleased if Jesus Christ came back and coached the football team. When he donates a FULL 10% of his INCOME to his favorite football and track sports, then maybe more peeps will listen to those rants. Those putting their money where their mouth is have credibility, and they have a better shot at a reserved, deserved, and bonafide spot in the __________e_r_'s bleachers. If we listened and reacted to every other former Cajun walk-on with similar negative rants, we'd really be in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st View Post
    _ Everyone needs to realize that all assistant coaches play the musical chairs game, no matter the size of the program. They work at the pleasure of the head coach, who may or may not be a horses butt and they constantly move to enhance their resume and improve their knowledge. The depth of any head coaches' horses-butt mentality and the assistant's network of friends and peers usually dictates his frequency of moving. Since most of them are ADD , they are hard to hold down in one place anyway. Also, there are more of them than available top jobs, which makes it easy for a head coach to move em in and out so quickly. To think we will ever attract and keep a stable full of top assistants at any price is unrealistic and if we think we will keep top assistants when the majors can't do it is even more pie in the sky reasoning. As for giving someone a raise for doing thier job, make sure performance consistentcy is present before doing that. Consistent 6-6, 5-7, 7-5 records meets expectations and warrants no raise. Consistent 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons EXCEED expectations and DO warrant a raise.

Getting back to the original 1st post in this thread, its author needs to find something better to do with his time than be critical of those he cannot control. Sadly, he has a history of undermining the staff and administration with his negative rants, and would probably not be pleased if Jesus Christ came back and coached the football team. When he donates a FULL 10% of his INCOME to his favorite football and track sports, then maybe more peeps will listen to those rants. Those putting their money where their mouth is have credibility, and they have a better shot at a reserved, deserved, and bonafide spot in the __________e_r_'s bleachers. If we listened and reacted to every other former Cajun walk-on with similar negative rants, we'd really be in bad shape. _
    I see you edited your post it was edited for you. Either way, in what way do you feel that one single individual can undermind a college coaching staff? Whats funny here is that you hide behind a screen name on a message board, proclaiming that supporters and former athletes have no room to _____ about ____ poor performances without donating 10% of thier income. Thats funny, as a season ticket holder, and a person who has donated my personal time to help out with events such as fan day, track meets, stadium cleanup and other events when called upon. Could I donate 10% of my income to football or track, no, but I have in the past convinced certain people to donate equipment to the track program that were well over $1000 in value.

You will need more than 19 post before your POV is even valid.

_ I think YOU said the staff is extremely underpaid. If that is the case, and if they can get better pay, but would prefer to stay if paid fairly, then your comment about spot improvement makes no sense. I am saying by any logic good or bad performance being underpaid will not get as good or better candidates. If you don't like what you got fire him regardless of pay, and if you like him you need to make sure that he is not starving so that a hamburger looks like a rib-eye. _

Huh? Where are you going with this? When you compare our program to ALL of the other programs in the country, our staff is underpaid. Now, if it was in our budget in the past to pay well, then we would have done so. So, from a very general point of view, they are underpaid. That doesn't, however, mean that we have to go out giving raises for "spot production" unless we see a trend of success and high level of play on the field. It seems as if we play poorly for a brief period and everyone wants to boot the staff, we play well for a period (and its long overdue) and everyone wants to pay more and more. You have to see a quality product on the field for a longer period of time before it gets my endorsement. Bustle has been here 7 years and this program has been inconsistent at best. Now, if we had put a magical Tulane season from a decade ago together or a Boise St. season, I could see rewarding them drastically. I'm not saying you wait 3 years for a raise, I'm just saying give it more time.

_ Huh? Where are you going with this? When you compare our program to ALL of the other programs in the country, our staff is underpaid. Now, if it was in our budget in the past to pay well, then we would have done so. So, from a very general point of view, they are underpaid. That doesn't, however, mean that we have to go out giving raises for "spot production" unless we see a trend of success and high level of play on the field. It seems as if we play poorly for a brief period and everyone wants to boot the staff, we play well for a period (and its long overdue) and everyone wants to pay more and more. You have to see a quality product on the field for a longer period of time before it gets my endorsement. Bustle has been here 7 years and this program has been inconsistent at best. Now, if we had put a magical Tulane season from a decade ago together or a Boise St. season, I could see rewarding them drastically. I'm not saying you wait 3 years for a raise, I'm just saying give it more time. _
    I understand your POV. I guess I am saying if I want to compete and my employee is extremely underpaid, even to most high school jobs, then I have to raise the base regardless of the perceived quality of the coach. So we have to find the scratch which is why the RCAF is 20 years behind the money curve, but we still have to find the scratch.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information