Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book CC Track & Field 2008-09

1. Default Re: UL Takes First in Five Events

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ It's getting to where that's about all there is on this forum - no matter what sport or what day of the week. _
    Fan negativity has to do with the school only winning 15 out of 45 games going back to September. It is hard to be positive when the teams you love disapoint your at a rate of 2-1. Not to worry baseball will fix all this.

Default Re: UL Takes First in Five Events

Quote Originally Posted by ULexcite View Post
    Fan negativity has to do with the school only winning 15 out of 45 games going back to September. It is hard to be positive when the teams you love disapoint your at a rate of 2-1. Not to worry baseball will fix all this.
    Its interesting that baseball seems to always get a pass/

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Its interesting that baseball seems to always get a pass/
    That is because since 1995, baseball has a winning percentage of around 64% overall and 67% in conference play.

Default Re: UL Takes First in Five Events

Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st
    _ Not really moving forward.... these 1st places would not have placed in the top 10 at the LSU High School meet last week. Just a sport to keep football at D1. _

Not entirely true - perhaps you should live up to your name and get the facts first - try directathletics.com and look at LHSAA performance list. While you are at it, they post the results for the sun belt, check out the performance list there as well - the 16'10" vault is good in any conference and for this early in the indoor season, it represents something and someone to watch. Get the facts first.

5. Track & Field Cajuns set for Purple Tiger Classic

UL - The Ragin’ Cajuns Track and Field team will compete in their second indoor meet of the season Friday at the Purple Tiger Classic hosted by LSU. Louisiana is coming off a good start of the season last week at the Cowboy Indoor Invite. The men finished second and combined with the women for five first place finishes.

Competing at the Purple Tiger Invite will include; LSU, Grambling, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Southern, SE Louisiana, Southern-NO, UL-Monroe, Tulane, Arkansas State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, South Alabama, Southern Miss., Hinds CC, Mississippi College, Southwest Mississippi, Southwest Mississippi and Northwestern St. Also competing will be a select number of unattached athletes under the Tiger Olympians, Sprint Athletics Track Club (M), Quantum and Athletics T.C. (M).

“We are a very young team on both the mens and womens side. We have a total of three seniors and three juniors on the team, we are full of great kids who work hard on the track and in the classroom,” said Coach Charlie Mahfouz about his team. Mahfouz added, “We need to worry about ourselves, the work ethic and attitude are there and we had a pretty good showing last weekend at the Cowboy Indoor Invite.”

Chris Roy is coming off a win in the pole vault and currently ranks first in the Sun Belt Conference with a height of 5.15 meters. He will look to improve his height and extend his lead over the rest of the Sun Belt. He is the top qualifier in the pole vault entering the meet. If he can improve his height by .05 meters he will provisionally qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships.

“Chris has come a long way recently and has a good chance to qualify for the NCAA’s if he maintains the work ethic he has displayed this season,” stated Mahfouz.

Jasmine Anderson enters the meet as the top attached qualifier in the 60 meter hurdles. She will have the chance to test her skills against Olympian Lolo Jones, a former All-American at LSU.

The Cajuns Louis Stevens is the top attached qualifier in the 60 meter hurdles.

Coach Mahfouz spoke about Anderson and Stevens and had this to say, “UL has always had a rich tradition in the hurdles and Anderson and Stevens look to continue that trend. They still have a lot of work to do but they work hard and take care of their business.”

Following the Purple Tiger Classic the Cajuns will travel to Houston, Texas to compete in the Cougar Classic February 7.

RaginCajuns.com

6. Track & Field Roy Paces Cajuns at Purple Tiger Classic

Baton Rouge- Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns competed in the Purple Tiger Classic Friday at the campus of LSU. The Cajuns had six top five finishes highlighted by Chris Roy’s second place finish in the pole vault. Roy finished with a height of 5 meters.

Other top five finishers include; Tyler Guidry, fourth, in the shot put with a distance of 15.82 meters. Jasmine Anderson finished fifth in the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 8.94 seconds. Louis Stevens completed the 60 meter hurdles in 8.30, good enough for a fifth place finish. In the mens triple jump Kenneth Bollard finished fifth with a jump of 14.31 meters. The sixth Cajun to have a top five finish was Stuart Theriot in the one mile run with a time of 4:34.97.

UL had other notable finishes in the womens 4x400 relay, the mens high jump and the womens triple jump. The womens 4x400 team finished sixth with a time of 4:01.61. Jasmine Manuel finished sixth in the triple jump with an 11.59 meters jump. Antwain Keyes placed seventh in the high jump with a height of 1.98 meters. Jesseka Jones finished sixth in the womens pentathlon with 2849 points.

The Cajuns will be back in action February 7, when they travel to Houston, Texas to compete in the Cougar Classic.

RaginCajuns.com

Default USA Track

FINALLY we have a serious distance runner to compete on the world stage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

<< Rupp broke two 5,000-meter records Friday night that had stood since the early 1980s, setting American and collegiate marks at the Tyson Invitational with a time of 13 minutes, 18.12 seconds....... Doug Padilla had the American record since 1982 after running the 5,000 in 13:20.55. Suleiman Nyambui of Texas-El Paso set the collegiate record of 13:20.40 in 1981.>>

Track & Field Track?

I am interested in track and field but have seen little discussion of such here. Anyone else interested at all?

I believe Tand F will show evidence of progressive sports management much quicker than any of the other "team" sports. Much like a canary in a coal mine - where goes track and field, so go the other sports. Changes in overall strategy are more evident here than in any aother arena. I could be an idiot (don't go there) but am i at least on base (sorry for the cross-sport metaphor)?

I have seen a couple of good to outstanding individual performances at indoor meets and was wondering what the collective brain trust that is the RP might think.

Please. Proceed.

9. Default Re: Track?

Oh no---now we have to bring up the Erath shot putter at McNeese that is having a great year-----Beau is his name Domingues?????

Track & Field Re: Track?

My son runs track(high jump, relays, and hurdles) at TCH and was excited yet disappointed today when he came home from school. He was excited that the team was supposed to have gone run at the Cajun Track complex, but disappointed that the rain kept them from going. There is some excitement around the area for Cajun Track and Field. I know I would like to see a track or football scholarship in the family!

Track & Field Re: Track?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Oh no---now we have to bring up the Erath shot putter at McNeese that is having a great year-----Beau is his name Domingues????? _
    Leave that along Boomer. Jacob is having a very good year.

I also look for much improvement in the T & F program. I see we have a couple of home meets. Lots of local kids with plenty of potential.

Default Re: Track?

I wish we could have some 2-sport football/track athletes like many of the big schools have. Nothing like a good receiver or running back with world-class speed!! :O)

igeaux.mobi

This is so COOL Re: Track?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Leave that along Boomer. Jacob is having a very good year.

I also look for much improvement in the T & F program. I see we have a couple of home meets. Lots of local kids with plenty of potential. _

There will be improvement from the get-go when assistant coaches are tweaked. Mafouz may want to surround himself with some better recruiters and technical people who can get better horses in the stable who will be around for four years and then know what to do with them once they are on campus. Right now, he is VERY thin in that category and will not make any significant moves in Sun-Selt standings and return to better days until he addresses that.

As for two sport performers, we will seldom get football players who are talented enough to do two sports at an elite level. Those athletes end up at BCS schools where their families and friends see them on TV each week in football and where they fly to track competitions in New York and California rather than in 16 passenger vans to McNeese, Northwestern State and Funroe. And Boomer, as long as we stay away form Vermilion parish athletes, we will do ok.

Default Re: Track?

Quote Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st View Post
    _ There will be improvement from the get-go when assistant coaches are tweaked. Mafouz may want to surround himself with some better recruiters and technical people who can get better horses in the stable who will be around for four years and then know what to do with them once they are on campus. Right now, he is VERY thin in that category and will not make any significant moves in Sun-Selt standings and return to better days until he addresses that.

As for two sport performers, we will seldom get football players who are talented enough to do two sports at an elite level. Those athletes end up at BCS schools where their families and friends see them on TV each week in football and where they fly to track competitions in New York and California rather than in 16 passenger vans to McNeese, Northwestern State and Funroe. And Boomer, as long as we stay away form Vermilion parish athletes, we will do ok. _
    We get what we pay for. Our assistant coaches make what a high school coach makes with a 100% increase in workload. We do have a few tremendous athletes considering how bad we have been the last decade.

Until the athletic department is willing to give them a real budget to work with we will stay in the bottom half of the Belt.

Default T&F Competes in Baton Rouge

I took a few moments and summarized how our kids did in the LSU Twilight Meet last night.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information