Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: Cajun Field 1971.

UL Football Cajun Field 1971.

why don't they put seats in the endzones at Cajun Field?

1) We don't need them.

2) $$$

if you build it they will fill it up!

I would love to see seats added to the endzones but I agree with Chris, we don't need them right now. We will have to show more of a commitment as fans and attend games. Avg 15,000 like last year is not going to cut it and will certainly not get those additional seats I think so many of us want added.

Last edited by Turbine; October 7th, 2022 at 11:29 am.

There are so many things you could do with those endzone seats. There could be a couple of band nights where you would invite local bands to perform. There could be a boy scout game night. There could be a high school student game where you would let high school students in the game with their high school id card. etc., etc.The university does not do a good job in promoting itself.

6. Default

Originally posted by cajun tom
    . The university does not do a good job in promoting itself.
    Publicity is the lifeblood of any university.

You know word needs to gt out about how closeup and personal the Swamp really is.

Publicity is what it will take because if you drive by all you see is the upper deck. If today’s Swamp were on level ground like McNaspy was, it would look a lot more impressive. You can't appreciate the size of a sunken stadium unless you are inside, and most Acadiana residents have never been inside.

Still it is super cool to step down once you are inside the stadium, it has an atmosphere like no other.

Word needs to get out, and once it does we can add seats.

There are so many things you could do with those endzone seats. There could be a couple of band nights where you would invite local bands to perform. There could be a boy scout game night. There could be a high school student game where you would let high school students in the game with their high school id card. etc., etc. The university does not do a good job in promoting itself.
    Good ideas, problem is as stated before we still have plenty of room for all those groups without adding any seats. I hope that changes this season. I would love to see us avg 32,000 this year but I think 20,000 is a more realistic goal.

No the university does not do a good job of promoting itself, that is why as Cajun fans it is our job to help promote our teams. Talk about the upcoming games with co-workers/friends/family let them see your excitement. Invite them to the games with you. I could go on but I am sure all of know and have ideas as how to get more butts in the seats. Bottom line is until we start filling up the seats we have the addition of more seats is not going to happen.

There are so many things you could do with those endzone seats. There could be a couple of band nights where you would invite local bands to perform. There could be a boy scout game night. There could be a high school student game where you would let high school students in the game with their high school id card. etc., etc.
    I know that you've been to a Louisiana football game in the past 6-7 years.

Since that is the case, it should be painfully obvious to you that such seating is already very much available.

if you build it they will fill it up!
    What's already built ain't that full.

Truth be told, in a perfect world, I'd rather have the upper deck on the student side done before the end zone seating for a few reasons.

1) The home upper deck side has thousands of great seats. Cheap and much closer to the action than the lower decks at many larger stadia. Adding the upper deck on the student side adds thousands of good seats, while bowling in the endzones adds about 10,000 crappy seats.

2) It would do a lot more in terms of giving the stadium a more complete look. From the street, it's very lopsided.

3) The grassy hills in the endzone add some character. I'd hate to see the FIRST increase in seating turn the place into a concrete doughnut. (If we have the need and the ability to fill that in later, then I'll put my desire for aesthetics aside )

4) Spending money on filling in the end zones would increase the SEATING, but not the CAPACITY. An upper deck would do both. Right now, Cajun Field seats 31,000, but capacity is on the order of 41,000 with people sitting on the hills in the end zone. If you fill in the end zones, you've made existing capcity more comfy, but you haven't increased it at all. If you add the upper deck, you add 10,000 SEATING and CAPACITY because people can still sit in the end zones, which isn't so bad. I sat next to the tunnel for the Bama game and I noticed that a lot of people chose to sit in the end zones against TAMU rather than use the 1,000-2,000 seats still available throughout the stadium.

I see the argument that having a larger stadium makes it easier to have big-name schools come in. But the extra large gate that you rake in every other year or so (look how often Tulane gets a marquee home game) won't nearly cover the costs of $50 million in construction costs and you can bet you posterior that the state ain't payin' for it. Besides, keep in mind that Washington State's place isn't much larger than Cajun Field.

Sorry guys, if we're going to spend big bucks, reaLly big bucks like this, I can think of a lot of other places to put it before Cajun Field. Big, nice stadia are OK, but they don't wow the recruits nearly as much as plush locker rooms, modern-equipped training rooms and weight rooms, fancy dorms and a delicious cafeteria menu. The kids are going to spend 15-20 hours a year in that stadium. They are going to spend about 80% of their life for four years in those other places. Let's put our money there first.

Ragin' Cajuns

Just by adding seats would make the flagship very mad. They know by adding seats that UL is growing, and they will never admit it.

"If you build it, they will come."

We built Cajun Field in the 1970s, and they still haven't come yet. That stadium is empty enough already. Adding seats that won't be filled is just stupid.

As far as the issue expansion of the stadium, I agree this is way too early to be talking about this issue. Having said that, I will say that if it did ever occur, I believe it would involve completing "the bowl" rather than building an upper deck. The reason I say this is because I have heard Nelson on the radio describe some preliminary studies that have already been conducted, that show the price tag per seat would be much less money. I also love the green space that the grassy areas provide in the stadium. As far as money being spent though, right now Chris is correct in what he is saying about other facilities being much more important than expansion of the stadium. It is no secret that one of those problems is now being addressed and hopefully will be announced shortly, that being the addition of an all purpose indoor practice facility. Besides this project, at the top of my wish list is the repair of the restrooms on the student side. The floors in there are all cracked and it is a shame for students and visitors to see this when coming to games. I also feel the workout room is a critical need that will soon need to be addressed. At least a few things are starting to happen. We have to crawl before we can walk, right?

13. Default

Originally posted by Crawfish
    .Besides this project, at the top of my wish list is the repair of the restrooms on the student side. .
    That does look bad, it has obviously settled over the years. My question is whether or not the concrete is finished settling.

If it is, can a one-inch concrete overlay covered with tiles, do the job?

UL Football

I think the concrete my have settles ab couple of years back when we had the severe daught, causing it to crack. it should be done settling, I would think with all of the rainfall we have received the past couple of years. If feasable, The idea about the overlay and the tile might be an inexpesive solution. Going back to the upper deck issue, I wonder if there is also other damage that is not visable to the naked eye that would complicate installing and upper deck on the student side?

BTW, Whoever put that label on my post above, thanks, I like it. Is it possible to copy it to use an all of my messages?

Originally posted by Crawfish

BTW, Whoever put that label on my post above, thanks, I like it. Is it possible to copy it to use an all of my messages?
    Cool logo

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information