Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LSBR

Does anyone at State have any vision?

Any imagination?

Any independence of intellect?

We developed computer science, they had to have computer science.

We developed basketball, they had to have basketball.

We developed Francophone Studies, they had to have Francophone Studies.

We developed Rhetoric, they had to have Rhetoric.

We developed Softball, they had to have softball.

We created Geaux, they had to have Geaux.

We developed a Research Park, they had to have a Research Park.

We developed Computer Gaming.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8871411

And if you had any doubts about that trend, consider:

UL's ACTR: Advanced Computer Technology & Research

LSBR's AVATAR: Arts, Visualization Advanced Technologies & Research

Oh, and BTW, that's not bad for a school whose Computer Science department just failed their accreditation

Default Re: LSBR

I guess that's what Flagship status gets you.

It doesn't matter whether your programs earn or justify increased funding or support, you just have to exist.

It's sad, but typical, or our leadership in BR on higher education issues. I don't expect it to change in my lifetime.

I'm curious if we made a push for that testing program. We had to have known that it was in the works. They could have added EA their own wing of the LITE center. This is very dissappointing news. Being that we in Lafayette are trying to be the leader and hub of technology in LA.

Are you saying that LSU should not have a computer science department, a basketball or softball team, or a research park just because UL had them first? Even though practically every major university in the country has those things?

I guess we'd better shut down the Cajun Athletic Foundation.

I like the tone of your posts, but sometimes the content is laughable. I'll give you the Francophone Studies example, but the rest is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    I'm curious if we made a push for that testing program. We had to have known that it was in the works. They could have added EA their own wing of the LITE center. This is very dissappointing news. Being that we in Lafayette are trying to be the leader and hub of technology in LA.
    I got a funny feeling when EA finds out how much more Lafayette & UL have to offer, they move some of that investment here.

The Tiagras may have done us a favor this time. Hook 'em, fight 'em, bring 'em close to the boat.

.and we'll scoop them up with our net.

Quote Originally Posted by ljr3721 View Post
    Are you saying that LSU should not have a computer science department, a basketball or softball team, or a research park just because UL had them first? Even though practically every major university in the country has those things?

I like the tone of your posts, but sometimes the content is laughable. I'll give you the Francophone Studies example, but the rest is ridiculous.
    When LSBR duplicated our PhD program in CS, it was still a very new field, we had one of the few such programs in the county. And the Board of Regents admitted as such, saying in the Master Plan from two years previous, "U(S)L should remain the only doctoral program in Computer Science in Louisiana.

LSBR had very little interest in basketball before we had a team.

LSBR had NO interest in softball before we had a team.

LSBR had never thought about creating a Research Park before we created ours.

Whether or not they should have them is moot. The question is, why do they constantly do it AFTER us?

When was the last time State brought something new or helpful to Louisiana? Why does a school with all of their assets have to copy the poor little school down the road?

I'll tell you why. They are obsessed with the fear that someone might show them for what they really are.

PS Laughable and ridiculous are points of view. I, for one, think people who write without knowledge are laughable and ridiculous.

_ Are you saying that LSU should not have a computer science department, a basketball or softball team, or a research park just because UL had them first? Even though practically every major university in the country has those things?

I like the tone of your posts, but sometimes the content is laughable. I'll give you the Francophone Studies example, but the rest is ridiculous. _
    I think the trend he is showing is that we lead the way in developing those programs or initiatives and then the almighty (genuflect here) flagship duplicates the program and is showered with the resources to create from scratch what we already have. Wouldn't it make more sense to put those additional resources into our already existing program and make it even stronger? But then I guess that would upset the political apple cart in Baton Rouge.

Also, wasn't there a provision of the Consent Decree that prohibited such duplication of programs of this type?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

Whether or not they should have them is moot. The question is, why do they constantly do it AFTER us?
    Simple logic. If event A takes place before event B, it cannot be concluded that event A caused event B.

All of those things would have happened at LSU even if UL never existed.

For what it's worth, I agree with your points--I'm only debating the validity of your arguments.

_ Simple logic. If event A takes place before event B, it cannot be concluded that event A caused event B.

All of those things would have happened at LSU even if UL never existed.

For what it's worth, I agree with your points--I'm only debating the validity of your arguments. _
    Bingo. LSU is in an arms race with not only UL, but other state Universities. LSU has a research park not because of UL, but because most state Universities have them. As you said, Fun is right about some of the Doctorate programs, but the rest of his arguement is pretty convoluted.
    Also, these accusations are a two way street. LSU had a Coastal Studies Institute way before the Wetlands Research Center. The programs overlap quite a bit. Were we copying LSU? The answer is no, but that is not the way some at LSU feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    LSU had a Coastal Studies Institute way before the Wetlands Research Center. The programs overlap quite a bit. Were we copying LSU? The answer is no, but that is not the way some at LSU feel. _
    Just to clarify, the wetlands research center is not owned or operated by UL. It is part of the federal government (DOI/USGS) and has a working relationship with UL, and exists in its research park, but other than that there is no connection.

Furthermore, it existed for 18 years before moving to Lafayette.

_ Just to clarify, the wetlands research center is not owned or operated by UL. It is part of the federal government (DOI/USGS) and has a working relationship with UL, and exists in its research park, but other than that there is no connection.

Furthermore, it existed for 18 years before moving to Lafayette. _
    Correct. It was a great idea by Dr A. He knew we could never have a coastal program funded by the state (duplicate program), so he bypassed them and got Federal funding with a huge assist from Sen. Johnston. The Federal funding avenue has been very fruitfull for UL.

nm

13. Default Re: LSBR

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Correct. It was a great idea by Dr A. He knew we could never have a coastal program funded by the state (duplicate program), so he bypassed them and got Federal funding with a huge assist from Sen. Johnston. The Federal funding avenue has been very fruitfull for UL. _
    I think that as Coach Blanco leaves we should give him a huge Thank You for getting the Fed Funds!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I think that as Coach Blanco leaves we should give him a huge Thank You for getting the Fed Funds!!!!!! _
    No doubt he was instrumental.

LSU had no interest in softball until Title IX caught up with them. The LSU softball program is the direct result of a federal lawsuit in the mid-late 1990s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information