Thread: UL Fulbright Fellow

Default UL Fulbright Fellow

Lead article is Mike Maher's experience as a Fulbright Fellow in Germany. This is one of the most prestigious fellowships in US academia.

In the article, he compares US and German universities. pretty interesting stuff.

Default Re: UL Fulbright Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Lead article is Mike Maher's experience as a Fulbright Fellow in Germany. This is one of the most prestigious fellowships in US academia.

In the article, he compares US and German universities. pretty interesting stuff.

How many Fulbright Scholars have we had at UL? I seem to remember one professor when I was in school back in the dark ages (early- to mid-70's) who had been selected as a Fulbright Scholar. Have we ever had a Rhodes Scholar? Just curious, and wondering if we've had any other prestigious award winners as well.

3. Default Re: UL Fulbright Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ How many Fulbright Scholars have we had at UL? I seem to remember one professor when I was in school back in the dark ages (early- to mid-70's) who had been selected as a Fulbright Scholar. Have we ever had a Rhodes Scholar? Just curious, and wondering if we've had any other prestigious award winners as well. _
    I tink dat Thibodaux from Pointe Coupee was one of dem New Roads scholars!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I tink dat Thibodaux from Pointe Coupee was one of dem New Roads scholars!!! _
    funny!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    How many Fulbright Scholars have we had at UL? I seem to remember one professor when I was in school back in the dark ages (early- to mid-70's) who had been selected as a Fulbright Scholar. Have we ever had a Rhodes Scholar? Just curious, and wondering if we've had any other prestigious award winners as well.
    Bill Ferguson, interviewed last week, won Fulbright. Don't know about others.

No Rhodes to date. LSBR only produced their first Rhodes scholar maybe a decade or so ago. It's prestigious, but hardly a fair program. When I applied, something like 60% of the Rhodes scholars came from Harvard, Yale, Princeton and the Military Academies. The previous winners select the new winners, so it's very much an old boy system: for years, Arkansas, Tulane & Ole Miss produced more scholars from this district than UT did.

I've pitched some ideas about how we might produce more of these winners. It would take some investment by the Admin. they have enough irons in the fire right now.

Thread Information