Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL's brand Always Gets Noticed

1. Ragin' Cajuns UL's brand Always Gets Noticed

When I travel out of state, I often have the opportunity to tell people where I work. Then I'll usually ask, "Have you heard of the Ragin' Cajuns?" I almost always get an immediate "yes."

Why is that significant? Because it's brand recognition.

UL's nickname reflects its distinctive culture. Cajun means South Louisiana, with its great food and music. It needs no explanation; people just get it. That's classic branding.

The nickname Ragin' Cajuns is truly unique. Lots of universities have Lions or Tigers or Bears, but only UL has Ragin' Cajuns.

The rest of the story

Julie Simon-Dronet • news@theadvertiser.com • August 19, 2008

Julie Simon-Dronet is director of public relations and news at UL.

Default Re: UL's brand Always Gets Noticed

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _

That is a good article, except for 4 things.

(1) There is little connection between Ragin Cajuns and UL. The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. I heard it used to describe baseball players from Southern U., football players from LSU and even political analyst James Carville, an LSU alum and one of their biggest supporters, is often called a Ragin Cajun though he has no ties to UL. Also, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns does nothing to tie the name to the university. That is like saying Alabama's Crimson Tide. It is rediculous to use the 's after Louisiana when referring to our university.

(2) All of the merchandise that is sold nationally and licensed by the university is UL Lafayette. In fairness to Julie Dronet, she is in all likelihood doing what Dr. A directed her to do. I hope Dr. S will take a bolder position in licensing only UL gear. Then, watch sales takes off.

(3) Scott Farmer has already stated that the Ragin Cajun logo is too busy and has too many colors that get away from our Vermilion & White school colors, making it overly expensive to print and too busy looking to be appealing. He indicated that a change is coming.

(4) Settle on a logo and stick with it. We use the fleur de lis and the pepper interchangeably. Let the fleur de lis be our symbol and use the pepper only at the end of "ragin", like we now do on the new field turf. Athletically (only), when we go to exclusively using Louisiana and UL with Ragin Cajuns and the fleur de lis, we will finally provide gear that people want to buy, we will create the right association between the university and its moniker, and we will tie in the university to the French heritage of the region in which it is located. When our athletic teams start to gain more and more national recognition, having the #1 moniker in the country will mean something for UL.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ That is a good article, except for 4 things.

(1) There is little connection between Ragin Cajuns and UL. The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. I heard it used to describe baseball players from Southern U., football players from LSU and even political analyst James Carville, an LSU alum and one of their biggest supporters, is often called a Ragin Cajun though he has no ties to UL. Also, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns does nothing to tie the name to the university. That is like saying Alabama's Crimson Tide. It is rediculous to use the 's after Louisiana when referring to our university.

(2) All of the merchandise that is sold nationally and licensed by the university is UL Lafayette. In fairness to Julie Dronet, she is in all likelihood doing what Dr. A directed her to do. I hope Dr. S will take a bolder position in licensing only UL gear. Then, watch sales takes off.

(3) Scott Farmer has already stated that the Ragin Cajun logo is too busy and has too many colors that get away from our Vermilion & White school colors, making it overly expensive to print and too busy looking to be appealing. He indicated that a change is coming.

(4) Settle on a logo and stick with it. We use the fleur de lis and the pepper interchangeably. Let the fleur de lis be our symbol and use the pepper only at the end of "ragin", like we now do on the new field turf. Athletically (only), when we go to exclusively using Louisiana and UL with Ragin Cajuns and the fleur de lis, we will finally provide gear that people want to buy, we will create the right association between the university and its moniker, and we will tie in the university to the French heritage of the region in which it is located. When our athletic teams start to gain more and more national recognition, having the #1 moniker in the country will mean something for UL. _
    Wow, very well put . . . I particularly agree regarding the absurdity of "Louisiana's."

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
    Wow, very well put . . . I particularly agree regarding the absurdity of "Louisiana's."
    I agree with both of you about the " 's". However, that has been around since well before the name change and it made sense then. After the name change, it was grandfathered in and was allowed by the so-called LSU rule (UL@name-of-city). Therefore it got used a bunch. Now, in 2008, it seems a bit silly, if not out-right dumb, since - as was pointed out - it doesn't provide a direct connection to the university.

"The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. I heard it used to describe baseball players from Southern U., football players from LSU and even political analyst James Carville, an LSU alum and one of their biggest supporters, is often called a Ragin Cajun though he has no ties to UL."

Would you believe "Tiger" Woods has nothing to do with LSU.

No matter what ignorance and stupidity exits the mouths of fools, there is only one -

Ragin' Cajuns (us)

Winning games will get it into the media for good reasons and we can push it just like the Crimson Tide, the Fighing Irish and other brand names typically recognized and associated with winning.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL's brand Always Gets Noticed

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ "The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. I heard it used to describe baseball players from Southern U., football players from LSU and even political analyst James Carville, an LSU alum and one of their biggest supporters, is often called a Ragin Cajun though he has no ties to UL."

Would you believe "Tiger" Woods has nothing to do with LSU.

No matter what ignorance and stupidity exits the mouths of fools, there is only one -

Ragin' Cajuns (us)

Winning games will get it into the media for good reasons and we can push it just like the Crimson Tide, the Fighing Irish and other brand names typically recognized and associated with winning. _
    Oh yeah, we have a WINNER!!! It's funny, I almost hung up on a Tulane-buddy of mine who was arguing with me that UL and every other university outside of lsua&mc@br in this state will NEVER EVER see any success as long as lsua&mc@br is in control of them!! He still believes that the lsu board of supervisors is in control of everything and everybody in this state. All I could tell him was that he needed to seriously update his information.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ I agree with both of you about the " 's". However, that has been around since well before the name change and it made sense then. After the name change, it was grandfathered in and was allowed by the so-called LSU rule (UL@name-of-city). Therefore it got used a bunch. Now, in 2008, it seems a bit silly, if not out-right dumb, since - as was pointed out - it doesn't provide a direct connection to the university. _
    Oh, I fully understand the motivation for using it. But that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ That is a good article, except for 4 things. (1) There is little connection between Ragin Cajuns and UL. The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. I heard it used to describe baseball players from Southern U., football players from LSU and even political analyst James Carville, an LSU alum and one of their biggest supporters, is often called a Ragin Cajun though he has no ties to UL. Also, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns does nothing to tie the name to the university. That is like saying Alabama's Crimson Tide. It is rediculous to use the 's after Louisiana when referring to our university. (2) All of the merchandise that is sold nationally and licensed by the university is UL Lafayette. In fairness to Julie Dronet, she is in all likelihood doing what Dr. A directed her to do. I hope Dr. S will take a bolder position in licensing only UL gear. Then, watch sales takes off. (3) Scott Farmer has already stated that the Ragin Cajun logo is too busy and has too many colors that get away from our Vermilion & White school colors, making it overly expensive to print and too busy looking to be appealing. He indicated that a change is coming. (4) Settle on a logo and stick with it. We use the fleur de lis and the pepper interchangeably. Let the fleur de lis be our symbol and use the pepper only at the end of "ragin", like we now do on the new field turf. Athletically (only), when we go to exclusively using Louisiana and UL with Ragin Cajuns and the fleur de lis, we will finally provide gear that people want to buy, we will create the right association between the university and its moniker, and we will tie in the university to the French heritage of the region in which it is located. When our athletic teams start to gain more and more national recognition, having the #1 moniker in the country will mean something for UL. _
    The only thing I disagree with is the continued use of the pepper. If we're doing away with the extra colors, then we might as well do away with everything else that is and has been associated with it. The pepper isn't anymore of a part of our traditional scheme than the yellow, orange, and black colors, the hot wheels logos, or the flamey font.

I encourage you, and all others, to forward your comments to JSD, and 'CC' Savoie. If she believes half of the things she says, then she is an extremely misguided individual. And, if there are a lot of us that don't like all of that garbage, then our voices need to be heard.

juliedronet@louisiana.edu

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Oh yeah, we have a WINNER!!! It's funny, I almost hung up on a Tulane-buddy of mine who was arguing with me that UL and every other university outside of lsua&mc@br in this state will NEVER EVER see any success as long as lsua&mc@br is in control of them!! He still believes that the lsu board of supervisors is in control of everything and everybody in this state. All I could tell him was that he needed to seriously update his information.

does this mean that UL can no longer blame LSU for their lack of success? that has always seemed to be a popular reason on why UL's athletic teams have losing seasons, good thing the cajuns have softball!

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ The only thing I disagree with is the continued use of the pepper. If we're doing away with the extra colors, then we might as well do away with everything else that is and has been associated with it. The pepper isn't anymore of a part of our traditional scheme than the yellow, orange, and black colors, the hot wheels logos, or the flamey font.

I encourage you, and all others, to forward your comments to JSD, and 'CC' Savoie. If she believes half of the things she says, then she is an extremely misguided individual. And, if there are a lot of us that don't like all of that garbage, then our voices need to be heard.

juliedronet@louisiana.edu _

I did send this to Julie Dronet and copied Dr. S. I wrote a lot more than I posted here. I will be curious to see if either responds.

_ That is a good article, except for 4 things. (1) There is little connection between Ragin Cajuns and UL. The term Ragin Cajuns is applied by the national media to anyone from Louisiana. _
    Agreed. Here in Houston, Ragin' Cajuns is a restaurant. Almost every time I wear a shirt that says just "Ragin' Cajuns" on it, I get asked if I work at the restaurant.

How long has Julie Dronet been on the job? Maybe its just me, but it seems like UL is one of the most poorly marketed universities of its caliber in the region. I'm not claiming I could do better, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might be a duck.

I will add my 2 cents. Ragin Cajuns and UL are not connected well enough. My son wears a Jake D Cajuns jersey here in NOLA. Several people have asked him and myself if he goes to Country Day. People I have met outside the south have heard of Ragin Cajuns but never heard of UL. Some even connect Ragin Cajuns to LSU!

As for the pepper, I would think it is going nowhere. It is our best selling hat and is the first choice of national vendors catering to Universities.

13. Default Re: UL's brand Always Gets Noticed

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    As for the pepper, I would think it is going nowhere. It is our best selling hat and is the first choice of national vendors catering to Universities. _
    Once upon a time the Ford Edsel was the second most successful car launch of all time. Being number one in your corral when you offer little else of value is not anything to brag about. What ever happened to the Cypress swamp bull gator push? I liked that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BStock View Post
    _ does this mean that UL can no longer blame LSU for their lack of success? that has always seemed to be a popular reason on why UL's athletic teams have losing seasons, good thing the cajuns have softball! _

We do not blame LSU for our lack of success. Because we dislike what the university stands for especially its in-state politics, doesn't mean that we blame them for having a sorry football program. Our administration should take full responsibility. However, as an LSU fan, if you choose to keep your head buried in the sand as to how LSU and many of its past alumni control the university system in this state, you need not post any longer as you simply won't understand where the hatred comes from.

When Academy opened up in Alexandria, they had plenty UL hats and shirts. Now you can't find a UL cap or shirt in the Alexandria Academy. We have been replaced with a little LA Tech and of course Plenty LSU stuff.

Lets see: UL is an hour away from Alexandria, LA Tech is 2 hours away from Alexandria.

Im sure many of you will reply with who cares about Alexandria, but it really is a market that has been un tapped except by LSU.

I would like to see UL recruit students more in Central Louisiana. People barely know UL exist around here.
    Please hold the who cares about Alexandria comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information