Thread: Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

1. UL Football Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

Brad McGuire, a redshirt freshman at Louisiana-Lafayette, is in a battle for the backup quarterback slot for the Ragin' Cajuns.

"We have a fifth-year senior (Michael Desormeaux), so he's going to to be the guy," McGuire said. "So it's me and another guy who are battling for the number two spot."

McGuire said the Cajuns started back last week. "We had sign up at 6 a.m., ate breakfast, and went to meetings and practices until 10 p.m. - fun stuff."

McGuire said a decision on the backup spot will be around the time ULL reopens for fall classes on Aug. 24.

"It's probably go right down until the end," McGuire said. "I felt like I had a pretty good spring. Hopefully, it will just carry over."

McGuire was a four-year starter at Gulf Breeze, helping it make the playoffs as a freshman and helping the Dolphins to winning seasons his sophomore and junior years.

The source of the story

Default Re: Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    "So it's me and another guy who are battling for the number two spot."

I guess he's ruling out the other freshman QB's, he needs to keep in mind that Gautier has looked pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _ "So it's me and another guy who are battling for the number two spot."

I guess he's ruling out the other freshman QB's, he needs to keep in mind that Gautier has looked pretty good too. _
    Gauthier will be red shirting this year.

4. Default Re: Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

You beat me to it. If Gautier lines up behind center at all this year we have other issues, it is going to take the 3 QB's ahead of him (Desormeaux, Masson and McGuire) getting hurt before he would see the field. That being said, it could be short term for Mason and McGuire at #2, considering both of the incoming freshmen that are going to be redshirted. Whomever wins the #2 spot this season is going to be in for a challenge next season, it will be wide open.

I think whomever is #2 will see some playing time this year, because I am sure that Coach Bustle is going to want some experience on the field next season. I think it would be wise for him to allow the #2 QB this season to play a couple of series here and there.

Just my .02

I hate to say this, becuase I have seen 0% of any fall practice, BUT:

Don't assume that Gauthier is the better QB because you want to see the local guy. We shouldn't be fielding the Acadiana-Didn't-Make-It-To-LSU all star team.

6. Default Re: Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

I don't think anyone is saying that. I think what they are saying is that next season we are going to have 5 QB's that have very little if any college experience in Blaine Gautier, Chris Masson, Brad McGuire, Keldric White and Brady Thomas. Unless a Juco comes in to play for us, it is going to be wide-_____ open next season behind center.

My take on this is whomever is the best QB wins the job, that could be a kid from Florida or a kid from Louisiana or even a kid from Texas, I don't care as long as he is the best QB and gives us the best chance to win. All of these kids come to UL with lofty numbers in HS, but remember I know of a number of QB's with lofty numbers in HS, that ended up being bust when they were playing.

I have no horses in the race next year, I am not a homer that believes that a local kid has to be the starter, I just want they best player on the field when the season starts and when the season ends. This is the last season we are going to see Desormeaux playing for the Cajuns and hopefully it will be his best season at UL.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!!!

7. Default Re: Brad McGuire, Shooting for number two

Gauthier has good mobility and has a nice arm, however he is raw. As was said earlier, if he is on the field at QB this season something has gone wrong. Gauthier needs time to develop into a D-I QB. Thats not a knock on him, that just means the McGuire and Masson have either gone down as well or cannot produce.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    _ I don't think anyone is saying that. I think what they are saying is that next season we are going to have 5 QB's that have very little if any college experience in Blaine Gautier, Chris Masson, Brad McGuire, Keldric White and Brady Thomas. Unless a Juco comes in to play for us, it is going to be wide-_____ open next season behind center.

My take on this is whomever is the best QB wins the job, that could be a kid from Florida or a kid from Louisiana or even a kid from Texas, I don't care as long as he is the best QB and gives us the best chance to win. All of these kids come to UL with lofty numbers in HS, but remember I know of a number of QB's with lofty numbers in HS, that ended up being bust when they were playing.

I have no horses in the race next year, I am not a homer that believes that a local kid has to be the starter, I just want they best player on the field when the season starts and when the season ends. This is the last season we are going to see Desormeaux playing for the Cajuns and hopefully it will be his best season at UL.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!!! _
    Ok boys and girls lets not get too irrational about experience at quarterback. The best single season at UL, or USL years between 1977 and 2007 was turned in by a 170 true freshman. We went 8-3 won a share of the Big West, and if Stokely had half an eye for talent he would have gone 9-2 and been a bowl. Jake Delhomne true freshman taking over a team that was doomed with more experienced quarterbacks. Folks that is thirty years. The next big thing was a true freshman named Brian Mitchell.

Do we have a Jake or Brian in the fold? Probably not, but who knows? Apparently neither did the coaches because because both were brought in as non starters and never left their positions. We will never know but if Jake is the quarterback getting the rotations in practice and had started that first game he could very well have won it. Maybe the last fifteen years might have been different.

August 30th, PLEASE Hurry!!!!!

I didn't mean to imply anyone was making the homer leap to Gauthier in this thread just advising against such follies.

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    August 30th, PLEASE Hurry!!!!!
    AGREEEEEEEEED

Thread Information