Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warning: more name stuff

Default Warning: more name stuff

This from RaginCajuns.com

I thought the university explicitly requests that we not be called the 3 letter thing?

2. Default Re: Warning: more name stuff

I once googled U L L and found out it was a fiber to the home project in Australia

3. Default Re: Warning: more name stuff

OMG you guys have a whole board on your site dedicated to losing that letter 'L'? Amazing. Do you guys scream at LSU about it often, because I believe those jerk-offs are the ones that set you and ULM up that way. Typical "flag_____" behavior isn't it.

Default Re: Warning: more name stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
    _ OMG you guys have a whole board on your site dedicated to losing that letter 'L'? Amazing. Do you guys scream at LSU about it often, because I believe those jerk-offs are the ones that set you and ULM up that way. Typical "flag_____" behavior isn't it. _

Just curious. How did Tech change its name from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute to Louisiana Tech University? Was it approved by the (at the time) Board of Colleges and Universities only or was their Legislative approval?

UL got its name change from USL to UL by Board approval. Then later, it was determined that only the legislature could change the name of a university and we lost it.

The same question can be asked of UNO as it was formerly LSUNO.

You are right, we got set up with ULM and it is killing us. And, on top of that, we let them in the same conference to make matters worse. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    You are right, we got set up with ULM and it is killing us. And, on top of that, we let them in the same conference to make matters worse. Brilliant.
    We weren't set up.

Getting another school to change with us was the only way lsu and their lapdogs(tech,mcneese,etc,) would allow it to pass.

The fact that our name fight is hampered by having ULM in the same conference means absolutely nothing to the people who got the name change through.

They only wanted the name change for academic purposes, and it has served us well in that area. Trust me when I say that they couldn't care less about any difficulties we are having now in the athletic realm due to our name issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We weren't set up.

Getting another school to change with us was the only way lsu and their lapdogs(tech,mcneese,etc,) would allow it to pass.

The fact that our name fight is hampered by having ULM in the same conference means absolutely nothing to the people who got the name change through.

They only wanted the name change for academic purposes, and it has served us well in that area. Trust me when I say that they couldn't care less about any difficulties we are having now in the athletic realm due to our name issue.

You must not be old enough. In 1984, USL was officially and legally changed to "The University of Louisiana" only to have the LSU controlled legislature pass a retroactive law to change it back. I was on the steps of the Capitol with hundreds of other UL people watching people in the Capitol hold up LSU signs while flipping us off. I remember thinking something is definitely wrong with this picture. That's when my questioning of LSU's real motives started.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Warning: more name stuff

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Then later, it was determined that only the legislature could change the name of a university and we lost it.
    No it wasn't. The state legislature (a.k.a lsua&mc@br) arbitrarily voted to overturn a legal vote of the State Board for Colleges and Universities (now the UL System), and pass a law saying that the state legislature would, from that point on, be the only ones authorized to grant a school's name change.

8. Default Re: Warning: more name stuff

Jake Delhomme just said he played for "Louisiana - Lafayette." Thought some of you who are still confused about what you are called would like to know.

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Warning: more name stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    You must not be old enough. In 1984, USL was officially and legally changed to "The University of Louisiana" only to have the LSU controlled legislature pass a retroactive law to change it back. I was on the steps of the Capitol with hundreds of other UL people watching people in the Capitol hold up LSU signs while flipping us off. I remember thinking something is definitely wrong with this picture. That's when my questioning of LSU's real motives started.
    I was also in school at the time. I remember the euphoria on campus when the name-change
    passed. I still have an original "University of Louisiana" bumper sticker in red and white. I can remember manning a table at graduation that year with petitions to the legislature to leave our name alone. Lotta good it did when we found out who(LSU) controlled the legislature at the time Their reasoning was that us being called UL would cause confusion.
    I guess people from Baton Rouge aren't smart enough to tell the difference. It's amazing they don't have the same trouble in Florida, Ohio, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.

UL will never be an officially recognized title. The fact of the matter is LSU has been granted Flagship status and unfortunately, at some point in history, LSU's education system decided to move forth by going backwards. To my knowledge, every other state aside from Ohio attaches the University system as the flagship, and the State university system as the second tier.

Even if you can find it in you to put aside the rage, if UL's successful, it's going to create chaos. UL will immediately get the prestige boost from prospective students from the rest of the country simply because it's the "University of" that's great, for Lafayette, but immediately undermines LSU's perception.for a school that's already in the 3rd tier of USNWR rankings. The the fallout begins to claim casualties. ULM, and the scores of public universities throughout the state, wants to gets some too.

This is where armageddon arrives. I've never heard anyone say there aren't enough public colleges in LA, and there a valid discourse whether many are needed, and and the further argument that closing many of them and putting the money towards the primaries.

Then there's the inevitable showdown between ULM and ULL.Last year I looked at UL's admissions page and noted in state residents with SAT scores over 800 are guaranteed admission. That level of "selectivity" doesn't quite elicit the idea of a highly selective criteria when the school molds its student body each fall. What does UL do that makes them the heir to be the U of LA school?

In the end, cannibalism will ensue, and the currently defunct educational system will have to inherit chaos and anarchy, which will inevitably lead the perception outside the state, that outsiders will really question what grade level our Dr.s and professors can read at.

UL's best means for improving it's USNWR rank is to concentrate on donations from the community, building a scenic campus in a town that is arguable the best college town in the state, and pursuing specific fields of study where they can move into the top ten in the USNWR categories. Get a few nationally respected departments and the rest will take care of itself.and that will lead to improved athletic facilities.

FYI,
    U L already has national respect in Computer science(top50), nursing(top10)architecture(top10), Moody Shcool of Business(top300) and the Masters program in Biology is tops in La. Notwithstanding, a tier two academic standing, which according to SREB is the same as Ole Miss, Miss state, and Alabama.
    Very good for an underfunded University!

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ UL will never be an officially recognized title. The fact of the matter is LSU has been granted Flagship status and unfortunately, at some point in history, LSU's education system decided to move forth by going backwards. To my knowledge, every other state aside from Ohio attaches the University system as the flagship, and the State university system as the second tier.

Even if you can find it in you to put aside the rage, if UL's successful, it's going to create chaos. UL will immediately get the prestige boost from prospective students from the rest of the country simply because it's the "University of" that's great, for Lafayette, but immediately undermines LSU's perception.for a school that's already in the 3rd tier of USNWR rankings. The the fallout begins to claim casualties. ULM, and the scores of public universities throughout the state, wants to gets some too.

This is where armageddon arrives. I've never heard anyone say there aren't enough public colleges in LA, and there a valid discourse whether many are needed, and and the further argument that closing many of them and putting the money towards the primaries.

!) "Never" is a looong time.

2) I 've never understood that argument. You mean that after about 150 years, LSU's "perception" could be changed overnight by our change of name? Cool! No wonder the paper tigers are afraid!

3) Wow! Armageddon in our time! It probably needs to happen sooner or later.

Like your pictures though!

13. Default Re: Warning: more name stuff

I refer to it as SLI, or whatever the name is this week.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Warning: more name stuff

Quote Originally Posted by chopique View Post
    _ I refer to it as SLI, or whatever the name is this week. _
    nice. real nice.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

WOW!! I just went thru this old thread!!! Sure did have alot of d- bags weighing in!!!

you know who you are.

Z

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information