Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst . 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 . LastLast

Thread: A little closer view.

Default Re: Construction video 5/13/2014 @ 4:30 PM

Shouldn't we be able to find out cement locally? Portland seems so far away.

Quote Originally Posted by stpacronym View Post
    Not trying to be an a**hole, but it is concrete, not "cement". Portland cement is a constituent of concrete. Also, concrete is placed, not "poured". Most people use the terminology that you have used and I have done so many times in the past. Just a little info for you.

Thanks for all of your efforts on bringing us up to date on the construction at Cajun Field!
    No problem. I stand corrected. But please help me here. Were they not pouring the concrete?

3. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Construction video 5/13/2014 @ 4:30 PM

It certainly flowed. I doubt you could lift it and place it without it being in a container.

4. Default Re: Construction video 5/13/2014 @ 4:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    It certainly flowed. I doubt you could lift it and place it without it being in a container.
    This is like "runs aren't points" in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    No problem. I stand corrected. But please help me here. Were they not pouring the concrete?
    I get what you are saying and I am not saying you are technically incorrect. Civil Engineers refer to it as "placing" concrete.

Correct terminology is "Concrete Placement" I think you will find that through out my previous posts that is the term that I used. Frenchie - I think you may have misunderstood the foreman, I'm thinking it's 3700 psi not 37,000 psi concrete. 3,700 is out of the ordinary but it can happen. (most common is 3,000, 3, 500, 3,800 and 4,000 psi concrete)

Cement is indeed the glue that holds the sand, gravel matrix together. It was first discovered by the ancient Romans (see http://www.romanconcrete.com/romanconcrete.htm) The first cement was a mixture of materials one of which was a Pozzolan ash that they discovered would hold together after it got wet. The proportions of the mixture were lost after the fall of the Roman Empire. It was rediscovered after work done by an Englishman near the Village of Portland England and it has been known, ever since, as Portland Cement. (the above is an abbreviated Cliff Notes version). Anything that aids in the cementing process using Portland Cement (like fly ash, or silica fume) is called a Pozzalith.

Anything that holds individual pieces together is a cement. An asphalt road is held together with asphaltic cement. The sand and gravel are the same its just held together with asphalt instead of Portland cement. Asphaltic Concrete was discovered by a Scotsman named MacAdam. That's where the term "Tar Mac" came from.

7. Default Re: Construction video 5/13/2014 @ 4:30 PM

Love it.

Those ancient Romans . ya gotta love em.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Correct terminology is "Concrete Placement" I think you will find that through out my previous posts that is the term that I used. Frenchie - I think you may have misunderstood the foreman, I'm thinking it's 3700 psi not 37,000 psi concrete. 3,700 is out of the ordinary but it can happen. (most common is 3,000, 3, 500, 3,800 and 4,000 psi concrete)

Cement is indeed the glue that holds the sand, gravel matrix together. It was first discovered by the ancient Romans (see http://www.romanconcrete.com/romanconcrete.htm) The first cement was a mixture of materials one of which was a Pozzolan ash that they discovered would hold together after it got wet. The proportions of the mixture were lost after the fall of the Roman Empire. It was rediscovered after work done by an Englishman near the Village of Portland England and it has been known, ever since, as Portland Cement. (the above is an abbreviated Cliff Notes version). Anything that aids in the cementing process using Portland Cement (like fly ash, or silica fume) is called a Pozzalith.

Anything that holds individual pieces together is a cement. An asphalt road is held together with asphaltic cement. The sand and gravel are the same its just held together with asphalt instead of Portland cement. Asphaltic Concrete was discovered by a Scotsman named MacAdam. That's where the term "Tar Mac" came from.
    You wouldn't happen to teach in the civil department at UL?

The correct terminology for for asphalt installation is "Laydown" and it is placed with a "Laydown Machine"

No I do not. I used to give lectures to the Senior design class when Dr. Bowie was there.

12. Default Re: Construction video 5/13/2014 @ 4:30 PM

---So what in the hell is causing the holes in the asphalt at the Airport??? is this a very rare happening??? How will this penalty work as it seems that the work hasn't been accepted!!!!

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

While we banter the correct way of saying how to get concrete into a form, can someone explain to me why we call it "floating" Sheetrock?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---So what in the hell is causing the holes in the asphalt at the Airport??? is this a very rare happening??? How will this penalty work as it seems that the work hasn't been accepted!!!!

I really don't know. It could be from many different things. There could have been a Diesel fuel leak on the laydown machine or other piece of equipment used to lay down the asphalt. Diesel Fuel is a diluent and will have an adverse effect on the asphalt. It could have been something in the asphalt or sand too. I suspect they will find out. I would think they would be concerned about this because of the potential for FOD.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    While we banter the correct way of saying how to get concrete into a form, can someone explain to me why we call it "floating" Sheetrock?
    Not sure but we can talk about sway bars.

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst . 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 . LastLast

Thread Information