Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Robert Lee

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Interview with Robert Lee

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ I don't really see how you gathered that from reading either of his posts. I certainly didn't.

In all your pondering about overemphasizing wins in sports, have you ever considered that the reason you compete is to win?

I agree with rgncjn12...I don't care how many nice guys and smart guys the coaches put on the teams, if they don't win, then something needs to change. I'm certainly not saying that I would want a team full of thugs who are criminals and have tutors take tests for them, but there are plenty of programs out there who have players that get the job done on the street, in the classroom, AND on the field/court. I think he gave a very good example in asking about Bustle. I'd like to hear your take on him, as well.

Like RC12 said, those off the field things can only get a program so far. The wins are the structure (foundation, studs, nails) of the program. Those other things are like the bricks, they're only there to make it look good. _
    You are right. Why is it one or the other? I completely agree that we emphasize high academic standards and great character in our student-athletes... but does this automatically mean we have to sacrifice "winning"? If a coach cannot find a way to do both... I'm sorry... he is going to have to find another line of work. A state school with our academic standards should not be in a position that a large number of student-athletes will not be available and capable of achieving at both academics/character and sports... in our conference.

Where are we in such a battle right now, in basketball, over this issue? Coach Lee has done a really good job in preaching and supporting academics and character... but he is going to have to convert that into a winning basketball program... or he is out. That is not my rule... that is THE rule.

Now, if someone is arguing that we blow off character/academics and solely focus on wins... that is the other end of the spectrum that is also not allowable. Does this make sense to others? Are we not looking for the right balance of both?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ There is no reason why you can't do BOTH. I agree with you that, sooner or later, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And, I have no problem with that.

But Fun is also correct. And, with the APR and graduation rates gettting more and more scrutiny, you'd better have some of those choir boys in order to balance out the rough edge guys.

It's called winning the right way. The downside is, it takes longer to accomplish....especially if your predecessor didn't feel the same way. (Case in point....Lee vs. Evans and Bustle vs. Baldwin.)

But it CAN be accomplished............and the right way is the way it should be done.

But, 12, you also have to win to stay employed. Both Bustle and Lee need to accomplish that part of it soon. _
    BOP,

I agree it takes both also. I think Robicheaux and the baseball team is a great example of how I believe is the correct way to go about it. I think the Lotief's and softball is more of how Fun sees it.

Like the old saying, there is my side, your side, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think Lee is doing a better job balancing the two aspects then Bustle, but Bustle was in a much tougher spot to start. I thought this year would be the year it all clicked for football, but the schedule setup is gonna make it tough. I think whatever happens Bustle should get next year.

GEAUX UL!

BOP can you dispell/substantiate this rumor: Will Long is no longer on the baseball team?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ There is no reason why you can't do BOTH. I agree with you that, sooner or later, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And, I have no problem with that.

But Fun is also correct. And, with the APR and graduation rates gettting more and more scrutiny, you'd better have some of those choir boys in order to balance out the rough edge guys.

It's called winning the right way. The downside is, it takes longer to accomplish....especially if your predecessor didn't feel the same way. (Case in point....Lee vs. Evans and Bustle vs. Baldwin.)

But it CAN be accomplished............and the right way is the way it should be done.

But, 12, you also have to win to stay employed. Both Bustle and Lee need to accomplish that part of it soon. _
    I agree with this totally. Both Lee and Bustle have accomplished much on the elevation of character and good student-athletes... they have both reached a point on their respective coaching timelines that is going to require some win production... they know it as much as anyone. It is the nature of their profession.

Regardless of these two individuals' fate, there is no way I would argue that we should ever revert to sacrificing solid character student-athletes for winning. I not only believe in doing it the right way... I believe when it finally starts to click on the field and on the court, the system starts to feed itself more of the same. However, a great character coach may exist that cannot also find the way to win. He cannot be given a free ride for his exceptional personality, likeability, and stewardship over young men. Eventually, he has to pay the piper... or go volunteer at the YMCA.

The idea, however, that you either have a thug program or an angelic program is the aggravating element of many of the proposed arguments. You demand good character, you recruit on that basis, you try to weed out the non-compliants... but, you figure out how to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The idea, however, that you either have a thug program or an angelic program is the aggravating element of many of the proposed arguments. You demand good character, you recruit on that basis, you try to weed out the non-compliants... but, you figure out how to win. _
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Lee seems to be figuring out how to win a little better then Bustle. I hope Bustle wins some games this year.

GEAUX UL!

5. Default Re: Interview with Robert Lee

Either/OR is a red herring.

You have to demand both in moderation. You then jump for joy , when either exceeds a moderate level of success.

The thing is, . . . neither can carry the other.

jmo
    igeaux.mobi

There is no reason why you can't do BOTH. I agree with you that, sooner or later, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And, I have no problem with that.

But, 12, you also have to win to stay employed. Both Bustle and Lee need to accomplish that part of it soon.
    Jay, can you define your interpretation of "soon". Is it 2008-09 or does it go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Let's stick to the topic.

In athletics, you would choose wins over character. Am I correct?
    Joe, you talk about "community" a lot. In the ideal world, the community would support our programs to a greater degree because they represent us. You, I, and most others on this forum do that very thing. However there are not enough of us. Most fans want to be entertained and we have not done a good enough job of that. Way to improve that is to get the businesses of the area more involved financially. That will improve recruiting which will result in more wins. The overall "community" will then join in. The real world and the ideal world are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Jay, can you define your interpretation of "soon". Is it 2008-09 or does it go beyond that. _
    I don't have the answer to that. My definition of soon, your definition of soon and the ones who make the decisions definitions of soon can be the same, or they can be different.

Coach lee just signed a two year extension. It's pretty obvious to me that he will be given that opportunity.

Coach Bustle's contract runs through the 2010 season. That will be a factor in any decision that is made.

But, when it all comes down, the only definition of soon that matters is David Walker's and Scott Farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I agree with this totally. Both Lee and Bustle have accomplished much on the elevation of character and good student-athletes... they have both reached a point on their respective coaching timelines that is going to require some win production... they know it as much as anyone. It is the nature of their profession.

Regardless of these two individuals' fate, there is no way I would argue that we should ever revert to sacrificing solid character student-athletes for winning. I not only believe in doing it the right way... I believe when it finally starts to click on the field and on the court, the system starts to feed itself more of the same. However, a great character coach may exist that cannot also find the way to win. He cannot be given a free ride for his exceptional personality, likeability, and stewardship over young men. Eventually, he has to pay the piper... or go volunteer at the YMCA.

The idea, however, that you either have a thug program or an angelic program is the aggravating element of many of the proposed arguments. You demand good character, you recruit on that basis, you try to weed out the non-compliants... but, you figure out how to win. _
    I agree with this about Bustle. We can't imagine the shape the program was in when he took over, and he has done alot for this university's program. He may not be getting the wins, but look at the improvements under his tenure. Facilities are now some of the best in conference and the region. Unfortunately the wins just aren't coming. I respect the man and am so very thankful for all that he has done, but I just feel he's taken us about as far as he can. It's time for us to board another bus that can take us to the next destination on our map.

But when did Robert's job come into question? I remember the talks two years ago, but after the changes we saw last season, I was under the impression that most of us were on board. We were all so excited for that team and we thought they achieved a hell of alot. They had a desire and a fire in them that we hadn't seen in a long time. We all saw the turnaround and don't deny it. The season hasn't even started yet and some of you are saying he better get us some wins? Where's the faith? After that young team I saw last year ended their season, I knew that this upcoming season was going to be magic. Did you all forget how exciting it was to be in the cajundome last year? This team will win. This team is talented, it's deep, and it has got a hell of alot of intensity. Last season was a positive season, there is no reason to be talking about Robert's job until we see otherwise. He wanted this program to win the right way. He's built a good foundation it started paying off last season. This season will see even bigger returns. Quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    I agree with this about Bustle. We can't imagine the shape the program was in when he took over, and he has done alot for this university's program. He may not be getting the wins, but look at the improvements under his tenure. Facilities are now some of the best in conference and the region. Unfortunately the wins just aren't coming. I respect the man and am so very thankful for all that he has done, but I just feel he's taken us about as far as he can. It's time for us to board another bus that can take us to the next destination on our map.

But when did Robert's job come into question? I remember the talks two years ago, but after the changes we saw last season, I was under the impression that most of us were on board. We were all so excited for that team and we thought they achieved a hell of alot. They had a desire and a fire in them that we hadn't seen in a long time. We all saw the turnaround and don't deny it. The season hasn't even started yet and some of you are saying he better get us some wins? Where's the faith? After that young team I saw last year ended their season, I knew that this upcoming season was going to be magic. Did you all forget how exciting it was to be in the cajundome last year? This team will win. This team is talented, it's deep, and it has got a hell of alot of intensity. Last season was a positive season, there is no reason to be talking about Robert's job until we see otherwise. He wanted this program to win the right way. He's built a good foundation it started paying off last season. This season will see even bigger returns. Quote me.
    I am also optimistic about the upcoming basketball season.

But, when it all comes down, the only definition of soon that matters is David Walker's and Scott Farmers.
    talked to any of them recently?

ps. enjoy your 2nd of what? 5 vacations.. (grins)

pss. cheerleaders cheer,
    players play .. they want to win..
    am i that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    "There is no reason why you can't do BOTH. I agree with you that, sooner or later, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And, I have no problem with that.

But Fun is also correct. And, with the APR and graduation rates gettting more and more scrutiny, you'd better have some of those choir boys in order to balance out the rough edge guys."

This is why there is no "yes" or "no" answer to the question Fun is posing. Morever, he keeps asking the people here on the forum who for the most part loyally attend games and support the program everyway they can.

Personally, I'd rather win like the Air Force Academy than McNeese but that's a helluva lot easier said than done.

How our football program has gone this long without "winning" and survived is a mystery to me. We need to try a radically different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    _ I agree with this about Bustle. We can't imagine the shape the program was in when he took over, and he has done alot for this university's program. He may not be getting the wins, but look at the improvements under his tenure. Facilities are now some of the best in conference and the region. Unfortunately the wins just aren't coming. I respect the man and am so very thankful for all that he has done, but I just feel he's taken us about as far as he can. It's time for us to board another bus that can take us to the next destination on our map.

But when did Robert's job come into question? I remember the talks two years ago, but after the changes we saw last season, I was under the impression that most of us were on board. We were all so excited for that team and we thought they achieved a hell of alot. They had a desire and a fire in them that we hadn't seen in a long time. We all saw the turnaround and don't deny it. The season hasn't even started yet and some of you are saying he better get us some wins? Where's the faith? After that young team I saw last year ended their season, I knew that this upcoming season was going to be magic. Did you all forget how exciting it was to be in the cajundome last year? This team will win. This team is talented, it's deep, and it has got a hell of alot of intensity. Last season was a positive season, there is no reason to be talking about Robert's job until we see otherwise. He wanted this program to win the right way. He's built a good foundation it started paying off last season. This season will see even bigger returns. Quote me. _

I am quoting you, and agreeing with you 110%. He was thrown into a deep hole and with a corrupt program, however he is increasing grades, the apr, and he is even winning more games than the previous season. It is ludacris to even mention his job being in danger.

Geaux Coach Lee
    Geaux Cajuns

14. Default Re: Interview with Robert Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Either/OR is a red herring.

You have to demand both in moderation. You then jump for joy , when either exceeds a moderate level of success.

The thing is, . . . neither can carry the other.

jmo
    igeaux.mobi _
    Actually I believe an "either/or" is a false dilemma, not a red herring.

15. Default Re: Interview with Robert Lee

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ Actually I believe an "either/or" is a false dilemma, not a red herring. _
    By George, you are right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information