Thread: Marketing Focus: Ragin' Cajuns

1. Default Marketing Focus: Ragin' Cajuns

"How bout those Ragin Cajuns from Louisiana-Monroe. Pretty easy win right?" LINK

Marketing Ragin' Cajuns needs a University of Louisiana connection, it cannot stand on its own.

jmo

Default Re: Marketing Focus: Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Marketing Ragin' Cajuns needs a University of Louisiana connection, it cannot stand on its own.

jmo
    Yep.

However, until the desire to become known athletically as UL or Louisiana by the administration becomes as important as it is to you and me, we will always have chaos in the name recognition fight.

The philosophy of "Ragin Cajuns is the brand" was doomed from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by a viewer from afar View Post
    ""How bout those Ragin Cajuns from Louisiana-Monroe. Pretty easy win right?" LINK

Just another example of an ignorant and/or lazy writer.

Sadly, this is very common these days.

I had watched the Ragin Jazz on ESPN for their national competition and one of the announcers called them Louisiana-Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunsjmt View Post
    I had watched the Ragin Jazz on ESPN for their national competition and one of the announcers called them Louisiana-Monroe. _
    I can understand a lapse of the tongue but in writing an article you get to double check what you put to paper in order to avoid mistakes that show readers you're ignorant or lazy or both.

6. Default Re: Marketing Focus: Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I can understand a lapse of the tongue but in writing an article you get to double check what you put to paper in order to avoid mistakes that show readers you're ignorant or lazy or both. _
    I agree, a writer should do his or her research and not assume.

Are you also saying this type of mistake happens to every school out there on a regular basis but we just notice the ones having to do with UL?

If it isn't happening across the board there may be a problem with the sole marketing focus being Ragin' Cajuns.

jmo

I agree, a writer should do his or her research and not assume.

Are you also saying this type of mistake happens to every school out there on a regular basis but we just notice the ones having to do with UL?

If it isn't happening across the board there may be a problem with the sole marketing focus being Ragin' Cajuns.

jmo
    I think it does happen across the board, sort of. The big dogs rarely have that issue, but there are a lot of schools out there that have had those kinds of name slip-ups. UNC-Charlotte (now known as Charlotte), all of the Cal States (Cal State-Fresno, Cal State-Long Beach, etc.) and U. Cals (UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UC-Santa Barbara, etc.), and a number of others come to mind. But I think ours stands out because 1) we notice it more readily and 2) we have a bunch of mixed messages about what to call us. Unless we all accept UL-L or one of the other variants (NOT!), we will continue down this same path until we achieve the UL name or die.

_ I agree, a writer should do his or her research and not assume.

jmo _
    It's called not doing your homework. There's no excuse.

I see nothing in these cases that "connects" the obvious mistakes in identification to a lack of "marketing" or whatever on out part. I think the "connection" is being manufactured to prove up a point.

At the same time I do not disagree with anyone who says that UL needs to do a lot more to "sell itself'. Dr Savoie said the same in his public comments after taking over as President but since he has only been on the job about 2 weeks, I am willing to be patient and give him a chance to act on his words.

Unike some I've seen overall progress taking place on many fronts over the past couple of years and I expect to see it accelerate at a faster pace now that we are in a new era of leadership.

9. Default Re: Marketing Focus: Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ It's called not doing your homework. There's no excuse.

I see nothing in these cases that "connects" the obvious mistakes in identification to a lack of "marketing" or whatever on out part. . .
    Then you are not doing your homework

_ Then you are not doing your homework _
    Then show me

Then you are not doing your homework _
    In case there was some misunderstanding I meant the UK writer did not do his "homework".

I know you do yours.

Thread Information