NORMAN, Okla.-Cleveland Golf All-America Scholars for Divisions I and II have been announced by the Golf Coaches Association of America and among the list of recipients were Louisiana's Morgan Landry (Lafayette, La.) and Michael Smith (Lafayette, La.).

A total of 96 players earned the honor in Division I and 26 in Division II. Additionally, nine honorees were added to the previously released Division III Cleveland Golf All-America Scholars.

To be eligible for Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar status an individual must be a junior or senior academically and compete in at least two full years at the collegiate level, participate in 70-percent of his team's competitive rounds or compete in the NCAA Championships, have a stroke average under 76.0 in Division I, 78.0 in Division II and 79.0 in Division III and maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.2. A recipient must also be of high moral character and be in good standing at his college or university.

"I am very happy for Morgan and Mike," head coach Theo Sliman commented. "I think both players truly encompass the concept of student-athlete. I believe these two young men are a testament to the type of player Coach [Bob] Bass built the golf program around. I am very proud of them and look to continue the legacy of tremendous student-athletes that the UL golf program is known for."

The All-America Scholar accolade is the second for both Landry and Smith who were honored following the 2006-07 season.

Earlier this year, Landry was one of two Sun Belt Conference student-athletes to receive the Postgraduate Scholarship Award at the league's annual spring meetings. He boasted a 3.6 GPA over the 2007-08 school year and held a 3.7 GPA over the course of his four years. Landry was named to the Sun Belt Conference Commissioner's List every year of his four year career.

Upon his graduation, Smith turned professional and has already achieved some success, winning the River Plantation Open in just his second professional event. Smith was also a multi-year recipient of the conference's top academic honor, being named to the SBC Commissioner's List in 2005, 2007 and 2008, while earning Sun Belt Academic Honor Roll accolades in 2006. Like Landry, Smith had a 3.6 GPA his senior season and finished his career with a cumulative grade point average of 3.7.

The Ragin' Cajuns have boasted a dozen Academic All-Americans over the past 15 years.

RaginCajuns.com

Chris Whitehead