Thread: The Sports Mentality

Default The Sports Mentality

Last week, after ultoday.com published my essay "Should UL Continue Athletics?" some people expressed concerns that I was even discussing those issues (none of you).

So this week's essay continues the discussion, and addresses those objections. The essay is entitled "Diversity of Thought, University Athletics, and the Zero-Sum Game."

Default Re: The Sports Mentality

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Last week, after ultoday.com published my essay "Should UL Continue Athletics?" some people expressed concerns that I was even discussing those issues (none of you).

So this week's essay continues the discussion, and addresses those objections. The essay is entitled "Diversity of Thought, University Athletics, and the Zero-Sum Game."

_
    I read the article and would challenge the zero-sum game argument. There is no doubt it is a zero-sum game situation from a win and losses standpoint. In fact, that is what those talking heads on TV don't realize-not everyone can win. Half of the participants are losers and many of those schools don't have resources like Duke that allow them to do it "the right way" as Dick Vitale espouses. However, from an economic development standpoint, it may not be a zero-sum game. The popularity of the NCAA basketball tournament which draws interest throughout the nation is evidence that everyone can benefit from athletics. Regardless, your vision of an athletic program that enhances academics and vice versa is something all of us agree would be a good thing. I also enjoyed the interview with the volleyball coach in the edition. Sounds like we have brought a woman on board who is very intense and honest. I am looking forward to the second part in which she discusses her goals for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Last week, after ultoday.com published my essay "Should UL Continue Athletics?" some people expressed concerns that I was even discussing those issues (none of you).

You need a big hat and cool clothes if you are going to pimp something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I read the article and would challenge the zero-sum game argument. There is no doubt it is a zero-sum game situation from a win and losses standpoint. In fact, that is what those talking heads on TV don't realize-not everyone can win. Half of the participants are losers and many of those schools don't have resources like Duke that allow them to do it "the right way" as Dick Vitale espouses. However, from an economic development standpoint, it may not be a zero-sum game. The popularity of the NCAA basketball tournament which draws interest throughout the nation is evidence that everyone can benefit from athletics. Regardless, your vision of an athletic program that enhances academics and vice versa is something all of us agree would be a good thing. I also enjoyed the interview with the volleyball coach in the edition. Sounds like we have brought a woman on board who is very intense and honest. I am looking forward to the second part in which she discusses her goals for the program.
    Sorry, I didn't turn on the comments option. If you guys could copy & paste these comments over there, I'd really appreciate it.

Thread Information