Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5

Thread: LaMar Morgan

Default Re: LaMar Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Sure, I took it as just your opinion, I am curious in the logic. My logic is as follows:

1. You very rarely see a whole staff go with a head coach. At best it is 50%, and even then that is on the very high side. So, I think assuming Morgan would be going with Napier to any new destination happens less than normal.

2. Assuming Napier would take Morgan with him, how long Morgan would have to wait at UL for Napier is a variable that Morgan didn't have in his decision making process.

3. There is also the assumption that wherever Napier goes, he is going to have success and a long tenure. Or at the very least, his assistant coaches become more wanted in the industry. I would argue the opposite: I think it is more likely that Lea lasts longer than Napier, because the expectations at Vandy are low. Last coach lasted seven years without much on-field success. So, I am not sure how temporary this gig would be for Morgan, compared to a Napier top tier job.

4. Lastly, LM is coming off a pretty incredible year from a secondary perspective, with national prominence. His stock is very high right now. Yes, if he could back up with another great year, than it would be even better, but there is the 'bird in the hand' mentality.

Like yours, these are all just my opinions and can understand how this is a good decision for Lamar. It sure doesn't mean that it was easy or have downsides.
    What do you think he'll make at Vandy?

I haven't a clue, since they are private, we will probably never know. IF I had to guess, it would be north of $300k.

My guess is on Lea getting at least $3M/year and assistant coaches pool in that range as well.

I haven't a clue, since they are private, we will probably never know.
    I think I saw an article referencing the coach they just fired was making $3.5M which is more than I thought they would be paying. If you can base a salary structure on that number, I can see assistants making in the $300K-$500K range.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I think I saw an article referencing the coach they just fired was making $3.5M which is more than I thought they would be paying. If you can base a salary structure on that number, I can see assistants making in the $300K-$500K range.
    Yea, I updated my post, with my guesses, so I am probably low, based upon your information.

Beamer got $2.75M/year at USC, with not nearly the qualifications as Lea. However, that is about $2M less/per year than Muschamp was making. I think $3M+ is a fair estimate.

6. Default Re: LaMar Morgan

Sure, I took it as just your opinion, I am curious in the logic. My logic is as follows:

1. You very rarely see a whole staff go with a head coach. At best it is 50%, and even then that is on the very high side. So, I think assuming Morgan would be going with Napier to any new destination happens less than normal.

2. Assuming Napier would take Morgan with him, how long Morgan would have to wait at UL for Napier is a variable that Morgan didn't have in his decision making process.

3. There is also the assumption that wherever Napier goes, he is going to have success and a long tenure. Or at the very least, his assistant coaches become more wanted in the industry. I would argue the opposite: I think it is more likely that Lea lasts longer than Napier, because the expectations at Vandy are low. Last coach lasted seven years without much on-field success. So, I am not sure how temporary this gig would be for Morgan, compared to a Napier top tier job.

4. Lastly, LM is coming off a pretty incredible year from a secondary perspective, with national prominence. His stock is very high right now. Yes, if he could back up with another great year, than it would be even better, but there is the 'bird in the hand' mentality.

Like yours, these are all just my opinions and can understand how this is a good decision for Lamar. It sure doesn't mean that it was easy or have downsides.
    All credible points.

Besides the In$ta Bump he might be attracted to the area. He has coached there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The logic is twofold but first let me acknowledge that Vanderbilt is playing with Monopoly money and I have already noted that this is "jmo"

First: Napier and his assistants are going to end up at a program with more money than Vandy.

Second: I don't think Clark Lea will win at Vanderbilt, although he will get a long leash, based on Mason having 7 years. Vanderbilt hasn't had a winning season since 1993. So, when the inevitable happens, assistants who don't have a super long resume or ties to the school will be out in the cold. For example, Gerry Gdowski the last OC at Vandy was fired a year ago and is still unemployed. Jason Tarver the last DC at Vandy had 16-years of NFL experience, he is back in the NFL.

Lamar Morgan has a long row to hoe in the SEC. I hope he saves his money.

Did I mention this is jmo? No proof, just history.
    Dang. 1993!! I thought they had a winning record one of the years cutler was there.

8. Default Re: LaMar Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Dang. 1993!! I thought they had a winning record one of the years cutler was there.
    Wuh? Can't believe I typed that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5

Thread Information