Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

1. Default UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

As the nation's Baby Boomers age and boost the ranks of the geriatric, those of the generations who follow are afforded a golden career opportunity.

The health care industry is in need of nurses to help care for the expanding number of people who are now and will be requiring its services. Those who enter the nursing field have the option of a wide range of specialties — from pediatrics to hospice — in settings that include hospital intensive-care units and emergency rooms, patients' homes and assisted-care facilities.

And, according to Modern Healthcare magazine, few places are better situated to train nurses than Louisiana. In a study of 2005-2006 enrollment figures, the state has four of the top 12-largest nursing schools in the nation.

Northwestern State enrolled 1,928 students in that time; Southeastern Louisiana had 1,815; UL had 1,575; and McNeese State had 1,163. NSU and SLU were No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. UL was No. 7 and McNeese No. 12.

The rest of the story

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

This is an interesting topic. We all know that UL's nursing program is top notch. In fact, I've talked to many who say it was extremely demanding and competitive. The only way to advance to the next class is to beat out your peers for a spot, and missing the cut can cost you a year more of school.

So with such a rise in demand for nurses, what would you do as a high school graduate? From this article, it seems most are making the choice to take the path of least resistance, regardless of the program's pedigree. Get in, get out quickly, make money.

Then again, this is nothing new.

If there is such a shortage then the hospitals should pay them more. The nurses do 90% or more of the work in the hospital when it comes to caring for patients. They see about their well being, take in their complaints, and smooth over problems or discomforts the patients or family might have. If they are in such demand pay them like it. You have to really enjoy being a nurse to go into work everyday deal with all these problems, do all this work, save lives of patients all for a starting salary out of college of 18.00 an hour. Wow that sounds like high demand to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    If there is such a shortage then the hospitals should pay them more. The nurses do 90% or more of the work in the hospital when it comes to caring for patients. They see about their well being, take in their complaints, and smooth over problems or discomforts the patients or family might have. If they are in such demand pay them like it. You have to really enjoy being a nurse to go into work everyday deal with all these problems, do all this work, save lives of patients all for a starting salary out of college of 18.00 an hour. Wow that sounds like high demand to me!

Agreed. But you can also make the same argument about many fields. For instance take your entire post and male it about teachers. Same amount of schooling (actually teachers are required to keep taking classes post graduation in order to keep their job) dealing with many similar issues. And teachers don't get 18.00 an hour. So your right people need to be paid more.

But I don't see anything wrong with the numbers of students in our nursing program being less than others. Our program is harder to get into and harder to stay in. I'll take a graduate of our program over a grad of any other in state program any day. Better trained wins in my book; not making it through a program with more students.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    Same amount of schooling (actually teachers are required to keep taking classes post graduation in order to keep their job) dealing with many similar issues.
    So do nurses. They're called "Continuing Education Credits". If I'm not mistaken, nurses have to attain a certain number of CEC's per year in order to remain certified. They also have yearly BLS and/or ACLS re-certifications, among other things. And, like teachers, many nurses are grossly underpaid, particularly for the amount of pure physical work they have to do.

UL Softball Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

_ Agreed. But you can also make the same argument about many fields. For instance take your entire post and male it about teachers. Same amount of schooling (actually teachers are required to keep taking classes post graduation in order to keep their job) dealing with many similar issues. And teachers don't get 18.00 an hour. So your right people need to be paid more.
    You're right, teachers actually get much more than $18 per hour.

7. Default Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

Where art the philosophy of low or no duplication?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    You're right, teachers actually get much more than $18 per hour.
    Not when you consider that teachers have to do much of their work after school hours. Lesson planning, making and grading tests, putting together lectures. etc. And on top of that the schools are underfunded so teachers also have to supply their classes with the basic materials to actually conduct a class. Not sure many hospitals are asking nurses to pay for the pain killers and syringes they need to do good.

Not trying to get into a pi--ing contest about who has it worse, just making the point that this state has some seriously huge problems that need to be addressed.

Think of it this way. If the state would fund higher education equally and fairly (not by who has better football), the university would have better facilities for the nursing program leading to better and more graduates from the highest quality nursing program in the state. Imagine if the state legislature used common sense.

9. Default Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

The competition for nurses is ongoing. If the medical facilities in the area do offer compensation that a graduate feels is worthwhile, I can almost assure you that medical facilities/businesses outside LA will offer compensation that will satisfy those graduates unhappy with local offers.

_ Agreed. But you can also make the same argument about many fields. For instance take your entire post and male it about teachers. Same amount of schooling (actually teachers are required to keep taking classes post graduation in order to keep their job) dealing with many similar issues. And teachers don't get 18.00 an hour. So your right people need to be paid more.

But I don't see anything wrong with the numbers of students in our nursing program being less than others. Our program is harder to get into and harder to stay in. I'll take a graduate of our program over a grad of any other in state program any day. Better trained wins in my book; not making it through a program with more students. _
    Yes the argument can be made for many fields. This topic was about nursing, so I thought it was pertinent. Bottom line is for what they do and put their licenses on the line for, they should be compensated. What is the value of a life? Nurses save lives everyday.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Isn't the title of this thread a bit OFF?? UL's Nursing School is one of the best in the State, and unless I misread, their student numbers are going UP, not down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    _ Yes the argument can be made for many fields. This topic was about nursing, so I thought it was pertinent. Bottom line is for what they do and put their licenses on the line for, they should be compensated. What is the value of a life? Nurses save lives everyday. _
    Medical school?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    UL doesn't have a shrinking role in nursing education.

They have increased their standards to decrease enrollment, because they don't have the staff to cover the kids they've got.

The price of (enormous) success.

Support Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _
    They have increased their standards to decrease enrollment, because they don't have the staff to cover the kids they've got._
    Me being a product of another school I can tell you this is happening at all schools across the state/country. I had to miss multiple days of clinical experience to go and sit in radiology or "observe" in other areas of a hospital, because we did not have enough instuctors. No nurse wants to go back and teach nursing students because of the drastic pay decrease.

I have had two family members graduate from UL school of nursing, and the program must be top-notch because they are two great nurses. (My dad is the best nurse you will ever see)

UL Softball Re: UL's shrinking role in producing LA nurses

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ No nurse wants to go back and teach nursing students because of the drastic pay decrease.

I have had two family members graduate from UL school of nursing, and the program must be top-notch because they are two great nurses. (My dad is the best nurse you will ever see) _
    My wife is a UL Nursing graduate and we see it everyday the value of having her BS from UL. The faculty is outstanding and the program is rated one of the top 5 in the country. Her base training has enabled her to attain her MSN degree and she's now pursuing a DNP (Doctorate in Nursing Practice).

BTW, she has considered "go back and teach nursing students because of the drastic pay decrease" after her retirement from the state. Money is not what drives most nurses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information