Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

1. Default Head Coach Hiring Criteria

I guess track is all that is left to be filled . . . This is just my own personal view on certain criteria when hiring a head coach whether it be basketball, football or tennis. I'm sure there are success stories doing the opposite of what I think is best but here goes.

1) The potential head coach MUST come from a winning program including the previous season or most recent stint.

2) Must have head coaching experience at a University somewhere in his or her resume.

3) No former HC available? Promote from within ONLY following a winning season or seasons.

5) Never ever hire from a losing program even if it is your own.

6) Never give the head coaching job to an assigned coach if he or she failed as the pseudo-interem

jmo

2. UL Golf Re: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

You left the admins a loophole turbine "some coaching experience required"

Default Re: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

Quote Originally Posted by AboveAverage View Post
    You left the admins a loophole turbine "some coaching experience required"
    There is no coaching experience needed. You just need to have family ties to UL or Acadiana.

4. UL Basketball Re: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

Since the summer I want to add to my personal criteria.

7) The successful head coach being hired must have operated on a budget smaller than what he will have to operate on at UL.

My only criteria is to hire a coach, who, after being hired, takes Louisiana to the sweet 16 within his first 3 years on the job.

Easy peasy.

Now where's that crystal ball from the Doritos commercial? And who or what do i throw it at to find my answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Since the summer I want to add to my personal criteria.

7) The successful head coach being hired must have operated on a budget smaller than what he will have to operate on at UL. _
    Well if we are looking at hiring current or former D 1 coaches then #7 means that we will have to look at ULM b/c they are the only program with a budget smaller than ours

7. Default Re: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

I'm not asking for a D1 coach.

I'm asking for a person who has had to recruit and has won at the NCAA level.

igeaux.mobi

_ I'm not asking for a D1 coach.

I'm asking for a person who has had to recruit and has won at the NCAA level.

igeaux.mobi _
    Turbine:
    IF YOU HAD A OPENING (IF). IS THERE ANY INTEREST IN BRINGING JESSIE BACK ? JUST ASKING. Didn't he win alot of games and go to the NCAA Tourney several times. What exactly would make everybody happy ? What you do or how you do it ? Just wondering if that had been thrown around. Don't care either way. What do you think ?
    Formerheadragincajun

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun View Post
    _ Turbine:
    IF YOU HAD A OPENING (IF). IS THERE ANY INTEREST IN BRINGING JESSIE BACK ? JUST ASKING. Didn't he win alot of games and go to the NCAA Tourney several times. What exactly would make everybody happy ? What you do or how you do it ? Just wondering if that had been thrown around. Don't care either way. What do you think ?
    Formerheadragincajun _

That's a helleuva idea coach!

What about bringing you back to coach the boys.!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Head Coach Hiring Criteria

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ My only criteria is to hire a coach, who, after being hired, takes Louisiana to the sweet 16 within his first 3 years on the job.

Easy peasy.

Now where's that crystal ball from the Doritos commercial? And who or what do i throw it at to find my answer? _
    What = $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    _ That's a helleuva idea coach!

What about bringing you back to coach the boys.!! _
    Scotto_25
    I just want you to WIN down there. Good people. Everybody was great to Meredith and I and our kids. Wished I could help out in someway. Got my hands full up here (blizzard today and a must win tonight vs Providence). Good Luck the rest of the way.
    FormerHeadragincajun

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Since the summer I want to add to my personal criteria.

7) The successful head coach being hired must have operated on a budget smaller than what he will have to operate on at UL. _
    There a quite a few exceptions to this rule. But, I do know where you are coming from. My main concern is that when you hire a coordinator from a large program, if they don't have a massive load of common sense, they do not always adjust well to budget and player constraints at a "mid major". The worst result is when they only know what to do with athletes of the height, weight, strength, speed, etc as they had at the BCS level.

The worst infraction is to go after lineman that "size out" (ie cast the same shadow) as a BCS level lineman. and then lack the athleticism necessary. I can't get over how many people on here are still smitten with some monster sized lineman or linebacker we snag and don't have a clue that a guy 15 pounds lighter and 2 inches shorter can be a much more fierce beast if he's an athlete with a ton of heart and good instincts. Troy gets it. And, they win championships and bowls. I think our new coordinators may be getting it now too.

Basically, there are a lot of exceptions to the "rules". As a fan. I want the admin and the coaching staffs to fear failure. serious fear of failure. and be abnormally inspired to succeed. while maintaining solid principles and values. Is that asking too much?

hope you are doing well up there coach. I for one would love to see Evans back. I hated to see him go. He elevated the program to a point where postseason play was almost a given. That's a hard thing to do in the Sun Belt conference. We also had the best group of talent here since the early 70's. I had no idea why people wanted him to part ways. I think they all regret it now.

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun View Post
    Scotto_25
    I just want you to WIN down there. Good people. Everybody was great to Meredith and I and our kids. Wished I could help out in someway. Got my hands full up here (blizzard today and a must win tonight vs Providence). Good Luck the rest of the way.
    FormerHeadragincajun
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ hope you are doing well up there coach. I for one would love to see Evans back. I hated to see him go. He elevated the program to a point where postseason play was almost a given. That's a hard thing to do in the Sun Belt conference. We also had the best group of talent here since the early 70's. I had no idea why people wanted him to part ways. I think they all regret it now.

igeaux.mobi _
    I think Jesse wanted to part ways more than most Cajun fans. How would Jesse do now with APR and entrance requirements we now have? He had a hard time at San Fransico. I would not mind him coming back he did a good job at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ hope you are doing well up there coach. I for one would love to see Evans back. I hated to see him go. He elevated the program to a point where postseason play was almost a given. That's a hard thing to do in the Sun Belt conference. We also had the best group of talent here since the early 70's. I had no idea why people wanted him to part ways. I think they all regret it now.

igeaux.mobi _
    Could Coach Evans be as successful having to now operate with the new scrutiny given to academics with the APR? Bon't get me wrong it was exciting when he coached here. But I seem to recall we did have some academic as well as a few disciplinary issues. The implementation of the APR has really changed things, IMO. Did academic issues play a role in his departure from SanFran?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information