Thread: Michael Lotief Part II

Default Michael Lotief Part II

Part II of our interview with Michael Lotief is on the front page.

Default Re: Michael Lotief Part II

Great interview! If (and I only say if because I can't see it from here) the coaches communicate this effectively to the players its no wonder young ladies want to come here to pursue their dreams. Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    Great interview! If (and I only say if because I can't see it from here) the coaches communicate this effectively to the players its no wonder young ladies want to come here to pursue their dreams. Outstanding!
    Yeah, this was one of the best interviews we've gotten. Even though we're both Lebanese and know a lot of the same people, I had never spoken much with Michael. This was a real eye-opener.

His interests and priorities are very close to mine: excellence, education, character, community. and of course he used the "L" word (losing), which is usually anathema in sports discussions.

But if you'll go back and look at our interview with Coach Robe, both he and Michael talk about the importance of losing: winning doesn't define character, winning doesn't build teamwork, winning doesn't even identify who the 'winners' are-- paradoxically, losing does.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Yeah, this was one of the best interviews we've gotten. Even though we're both Lebanese and know a lot of the same people, I had never spoken much with Michael. This was a real eye-opener.

His interests and priorities are very close to mine: excellence, education, character, community. and of course he used the "L" word (losing), which is usually anathema in sports discussions.

But if you'll go back and look at our interview with Coach Robe, both he and Michael talk about the importance of losing: winning doesn't define character, winning doesn't build teamwork, winning doesn't even identify who the 'winners' are-- paradoxically, losing does. _
    I am not surprised both Coach Lotief and Coach Robe talk about how to handle losing. The nature of their sport demands it and it is a good preparation for life. This is in large part due to the no. of games played. That approach does not work in football as you get fired unless you figure out how to minimize losing as their are so few games per season.

UL Softball Re: Michael Lotief Part II

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Yeah, this was one of the best interviews we've gotten. Even though we're both Lebanese and know a lot of the same people, I had never spoken much with Michael. This was a real eye-opener.

But if you'll go back and look at our interview with Coach Robe, both he and Michael talk about the importance of losing: winning doesn't define character, winning doesn't build teamwork, winning doesn't even identify who the 'winners' are-- paradoxically, losing does. _
    Excellent interview Fun. Thanks for bringing us more insight on Michael Lotief.

I share many of the same beliefs that he stresses to his young ladies. Character counts. I've seen too much erosion of strong character in our current work force and particularly on this board and amongst many Cajun fans. But I won't go much further than that.

Your interview should be required reading and comprehension for everyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I am not surprised both Coach Lotief and Coach Robe talk about how to handle losing. The nature of their sport demands it and it is a good preparation for life. This is in large part due to the no. of games played. That approach does not work in football as you get fired unless you figure out how to minimize losing as their are so few games per season.
    If you're going to build a program, you're going to have to lose a lot of games, and work through that. that's when champions are forged. Not once the winning is up & going.

And no program wins 'em all. A lot of football National Champions have lost one or two games.

So I like what Robe asks. is the champion the best athlete, or the athlete who is best at rebounding? Is it physical ability, or mental toughness?

You don't find out a thing about mental toughness when you're winning.

Thread Information