Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bowl or Bust?

Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    _ Okay, show me a link to that information. Other than the FCS schools having an advantage of not having a transfer sit out a year, I thought the NCAA academic requirements for athletes was the same for all Division I schools.

Doc _
    Don't know where that is on the ncaa website, but apparently there is some difference because some of the local sports reporters, Kevin Foote in particular, have made a point of trying to raise awareness of the eligibility standards for D1A after having a number of athleticially talented kids from local schools not being academically eligible for D1A and having to go the juco or d1aa route. Fotte and Dave Thibodeaux have gone so far as to try to organize two recent seminars for local high school students and their parents about the eligibility requiremetns for D1A athletics and the need to take themseriously starting as a freshman. Unfortunatley the turnout for the first seminar was very poor. I did not see any reporting on the turnout for the second one. For that matter I don't recall any reporting about the second one. I don't know if that signals some frustration on Foote's part or indicates a lack of interest but judging by the poor attendence at the first one it doesn't seem that these kids and their parents are taking this seriously. Then when they aren't able to go to BCS U or any other D1A program there is a lot of crying, hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Don't know where that is on the ncaa website, but apparently there is some difference because some of the local sports reporters, Kevin Foote in particular, have made a point of trying to raise awareness of the eligibility standards for D1A after having a number of athleticially talented kids from local schools not being academically eligible for D1A and having to go the juco or d1aa route. Fotte and Dave Thibodeaux have gone so far as to try to organize two recent seminars for local high school students and their parents about the eligibility requiremetns for D1A athletics and the need to take themseriously starting as a freshman. Unfortunatley the turnout for the first seminar was very poor. I did not see any reporting on the turnout for the second one. For that matter I don't recall any reporting about the second one. I don't know if that signals some frustration on Foote's part or indicates a lack of interest but judging by the poor attendence at the first one it doesn't seem that these kids and their parents are taking this seriously. Then when they aren't able to go to BCS U or any other D1A program there is a lot of crying, hand wringing and gnashing of teeth. _
    I'll have to see it to believe it because as far as I have heard the NCAA academic standards are the same for all of Division I.

Doc

3. Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

The new standard is APR and from everthing I have read it is the same for FBS and FCS.

There are 328 Division I schools that field 5,270 Division I teams.

Over 400 currently risk penalties although as we know the report is a full year behind reality.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post

It was not unusual for him to sign 10 to 12 props a year. Not unlike what McNeese State has done over the past few years.
    Come on, T. Do you really think that McNeese, with less scholarships to give than UL, could survive signing 10 to 12 props per year? That is weak. Heck, the APR alone with that many props would put us into NCAA oblivion.

I have more respect for you than that knee jerk statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up View Post
    Come on, T. Do you really think that McNeese, with less scholarships to give than UL, could survive signing 10 to 12 props per year? That is weak. Heck, the APR alone with that many props would put us into NCAA oblivion.

I have more respect for you than that knee jerk statement.
    The prop thing is a crutch that a lot of people use to make themselves feel better about getting our you-know-what's kicked by you guys.

6. Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

People have always confused the aa in 1Daa with division II

In the past schools and conferences set their own limits on how may prop-48 students they would accept . The the only real concern was having enough players to field a team.

APR is a relative newbie, it will level the playing field.

_ Come on, T. Do you really think that McNeese, with less scholarships to give than UL, could survive signing 10 to 12 props per year? That is weak. Heck, the APR alone with that many props would put us into NCAA oblivion.

I have more respect for you than that knee jerk statement. _
    Sorry you feel that my statement was not true.This coaching staff has been required to adhere to selective admission standards, regardless of the NCAA sliding scale.So they can take a chance on a few athletes that are close to minimum requirements. Also, the props don't count against your APR unless they become eligible. And for the record, McNeese State is doing exactly what Baldwin did in recruiting at risk student athletes. I didn't say McNeese State signed 10 to 12 props, but Baldwin.The year Jim signed, he was one of 10 athletes sitting out not eligible. My point is very simple, your staff is recruiting the same type of student athletes as Baldwin. I counted 6 props in this years class, including one that scored below a 14 on the ACT. Now nothing I have stated is a knee jerk statement.

And let me remind you that is was Cowboy fans like Keith Zem that criticized Baldwin for recruiting good athletes, but poor students. The bottomline is that if you hit one several of theses athletes, even 50% is enough to make major impacts in your program. Landry,Edmondson and Butler are three examples of exactly that my friend. They are BCS conference type athletes that are not going to McNeese State if they are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ The prop thing is a crutch that a lot of people use to make themselves feel better about getting our you-know-what's kicked by you guys. _
    Nation, I didn't say that this was the reason the Cajuns lost to McNeese State. But for the record, take a trip down to the coaching staffs office and ask them what standards do their recruits have to meet and who mandated it. At least then will you know what I'm talking about, instead of making a statement about something you don't know.

Nation, I didn't say that this was the reason the Cajuns lost to McNeese State. But for the record, take a trip down to the coaching staffs office and ask them what standards do their recruits have to meet and who mandated it. At least then will you know what I'm talking about, instead of making a statement about something you don't know.
    I'm well aware of the APR standards hot shot.

I'm also well aware that prop players aren't the reason we got crushed by the pokes.

I believe you have been proving my point for me. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ I'm well aware of the APR standards hot shot.

I'm also well aware that prop players aren't the reason we got crushed by the pokes.

I believe you have been proving my point for me. Thank you. _
    I'm not talking about the APR standards. I'm talking about the admission standards mandated by Dr. Authement for football scholarship athletes after the Baldwin era. It's obvious you don't know what I'm talking about Nation.

_ Sorry you feel that my statement was not true.This coaching staff has been required to adhere to selective admission standards, regardless of the NCAA sliding scale.So they can take a chance on a few athletes that are close to minimum requirements. Also, the props don't count against your APR unless they become eligible. And for the record, McNeese State is doing exactly what Baldwin did in recruiting at risk student athletes. I didn't say McNeese State signed 10 to 12 props, but Baldwin.The year Jim signed, he was one of 10 athletes sitting out not eligible. My point is very simple, your staff is recruiting the same type of student athletes as Baldwin. I counted 6 props in this years class, including one that scored below a 14 on the ACT. Now nothing I have stated is a knee jerk statement.

And let me remind you that is was Cowboy fans like Keith Zem that criticized Baldwin for recruiting good athletes, but poor students. The bottomline is that if you hit one several of theses athletes, even 50% is enough to make major impacts in your program. Landry,Edmondson and Butler are three examples of exactly that my friend. They are BCS conference type athletes that are not going to McNeese State if they are eligible. _
    So clear something up for me if you can, T. All of the kids that were the subject of Foote's articles about local kids wh were athletically talented enough to play D1A ball but had to settle for signing with d1aa programs were not eligble for either? And furthermore they weren't even offered by D1A programs as props because their grades were so bad? But they are going as props to d1aa programs. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ So clear something up for me if you can, T. All of the kids that were the subject of Foote's articles about local kids who were athletically talented enough to play D1A ball but had to settle for signing with d1aa programs were not eligble for either? And furthermore they weren't even offered by D1A programs as props because their grades were so bad? But they are going as props to d1aa programs. Is that correct? _
    I would not say that they were not offered by any program. I would say that they do not meet eligiblity standards at any state university. If you don't have your core, it doesn't matter if you have a 2.8 GPA. Industrial Arts Classes, typing,etc; are not core class requirements.

_ I would not say that they were not offered by any program. I would say that they do not meet eligiblity standards at any state university. If you don't have your core, it doesn't matter if you have a 2.8 GPA. Industrial Arts Classes, typing,etc; are not core class requirements. _

And let me remind you that is was Cowboy fans like Keith Zem that criticized Baldwin for recruiting good athletes, but poor students. The bottomline is that if you hit one several of theses athletes, even 50% is enough to make major impacts in your program. Landry,Edmondson and Butler are three examples of exactly that my friend. They are BCS conference type athletes that are not going to McNeese State if they are eligible.
    All I know T is if we are recruiting the same type of athletes as Baldwin recruited, "Why are we winning with good support and great records and Baldwin could not?"

Also, if the higher standards that the coaching staff at UL are held sacred, "Why was Bustle visiting Alonzo Landry's mother at work the week before signing day begging for an 'in house' visit?" (to go to a JC and get qualified maybe return to UL) hmmn?

"Why did Fouquier beg Kentrelle Butler (who was offered by every state college including UL) to consider UL after Butler took an official visit?" Eligible or not, UL wanted these guys.

Perhaps there is a new day in UL football. It's long overdue. And, with 22 scholarships to offer more than McNeese you guys should NEVER lose to 1AA schools . . . . and certainly not by 21 points. That is just plain obscene.

with 22 scholarships to offer more than McNeese you guys should NEVER lose to 1AA schools . . . . and certainly not by 21 points. That is just plain obscene.[/FONT]
    _
    Oh quit whining you only need about fourty players to field a good team. When Bustle got here McNeese had a bigger squad than UL but it doesn't matter if you have fourty or four-hundred, you can only play eleven at a time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information