Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Bowl or Bust?

Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Okay our powerhouse softball team that has yet to win a championship. Is softball a real sport? I play it with the KC's.
    Have we won a championship in anything? Football has always been the worst sport at UL along with WBB, We are a dominate school when it comes to Spring sports and we will continue to dominate in sports you seem to deem unworthy of praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Just like you to talk down on the softball team you ____ing coward!!! Why don't you go ask one of them girls if it is a real sports.you won't do it because you dont have the balls to do! Let me ask you.are you a real MAN? I doubt it you ____ing waste of space. I could go on but this isn't the place but I know you wouldn't be man enough to meet any of us on this board and say the things you say. Man UP you _____! _
    clutch, you're scaring me. deep breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    _ clutch, you're scaring me. deep breaths. _
    I slowed down and counted to 3 now I am alright

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I am afraid that losing to the McNeeses killed this program. A bowl appearance will generate fan interest, but were are now in a worse state than we were with Baldwin. We are more talented at just about every position with Bustle but the fan interest is lower IMO.
    I disagree with that statement. We have a very disappointed, even disgusted, fanbase right now, but we do have a fanbase (small as it may be). At the end of the Baldwin era, we had virtually NO fanbase, disgruntled or otherwise. The disappointment has been particularly sharp because of the build-up in anticipation brought on by a number of small improvements during the Bustle tenure. Like many, I like Bustle and hopes he can get it done very soon. I believe his time is rapidly running out if he doesn't. Another poor season and I will be ready for a change like most Cajun fans.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ Well you pretty much summed it up there, our schedule does not work in our favor. I hope we can some how some way get into a bowl game but I just don't see that happening. I see Bustle getting fired after this season then who knows, another 2 years under a new coach with growing pains? I hate to think that way but I have to be realistic here. my days of high expectations were dashed with the football, basketball then baseball seasons. Time to be realistic here. But I'm not gonna dog anyone for having high expectaions. _
    Mens basketball shared the Western Crown with the third youngest team in D1a out of over 300! Football and baseball on the other hand were very disappointing but were somewhat young also. You are right though Football drives it and MUST get it done this year to kick off the very much needed turn around. Starting JULY 1st think diffierent, backt these programs different, and watch for the much needed changes to become reality!

_ They do ring a bell since I was an athlete at the same time as they were. We did have a few stars who were better but as a team we are much improved talent wise than we were with Baldwin. _
    baldwin was a better recruiter for pure talent and was a horrible coach. bustle is a better coach and recruits better student athletes.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    _ baldwin was a better recruiter for pure talent and was a horrible coach. bustle is a better coach and recruits better student athletes. _
    This comment is right on imo. There can be no question that Baldwin recruited better players. Just check the NFL for Baldwin players vs. Bustle players.

I know Baldwin sucked, please don't crucify me, but the talent level on Bustle's teams have suffered due to him not taking many chances on players of questionable character/grades. I realize this is noble and good for our program, but unfortunately it means we miss out on some truly exceptional NFL caliber talent, and then we lose more games.

At this point, I think we could afford to take a few more chances!

Because let's be honest. Was Mcneese less talented than us? I don't think that game was a fluke, but rather a sad reminder of where we stand in football.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ This comment is right on imo. There can be no question that Baldwin recruited better players. Just check the NFL for Baldwin players vs. Bustle players.

I know Baldwin sucked, please don't crucify me, but the talent level on Bustle's teams have suffered due to him not taking many chances on players of questionable character/grades. I realize this is noble and good for our program, but unfortunately it means we miss out on some truly exceptional NFL caliber talent, and then we lose more games.

At this point, I think we could afford to take a few more chances!

Because let's be honest. Was Mcneese less talented than us? I don't think that game was a fluke, but rather a sad reminder of where we stand in football. _
    If we had played in the Southland over the last 10 years we would be considered a good D1AA program. Nothing more. Right now we enjoy head to head recruiting advantages over Southland teams, but they make up for it by taking BCS transfers and more props. At the end of the day our rosters are very similar.

I hate to compare us the BCS schools (after all they are in our division), but until we have lineman that don't give away 50+ pounds we will continue to be road kill.

One last thought on size. It is not the be all and end all, but it allows a coach flexiblity in the game plan. I remember a game during Jakes Jr. year against ASU. We had a good O line and a big back (Cotton). Stokely recognized we had a size advantage and proceded to ram the ball down their throat. We absolutely destroyed them up front. Jake barely threw a pass. That was the last year I saw a Cajun team dominate the line of scrimage on a consistent basis. Until be win in the trenches we will continue to be a 3-6 win team.

UL Football Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    That was the last year I saw a Cajun team dominate the line of scrimage on a consistent basis. Until be win in the trenches we will continue to be a 3-6 win team.
    All do respect MetryCajun, IMO you are way off. Over the last four years the one consistent thing this Cajun team has done is win in the trenches. You don't rank in the top tier of rushing because of luck and missed tackles, you do it with great O-linemen. IMO that has been our bread and butter.

GEAUX CAJUNS

My earlier comment about bringing up the McNeese was about re-opening the wound, not about burying facts. Take it easy, Jethro.

1st or 2nd place in the 'Belt with an over .500 record is the only way I don't call for Bustle's "resignation."

11. Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ .Think about it, where do we geaux after Des and Fenroy leaves us. THis year has to be the year!!!! If not we are done for a while.

Geaux Louisiana! _
    I feel the frustration in all the fans. But to say that we have nothing without Des and Fenroy is to sell the rest of the team down the road. True Des and Fenroy have given a great deal to Cajun Football and should be well thought of but they are not the entire squad.
    If I remember from my youth and exposure to sports they are TEAM activities.
    We have a great deal of talent on this team and I believe that we will continue to improve even after Des and Fenroy move on in their lives.
    To say something like this is to insult the rest of the team. Give them our support as they battle in the trenches for the University.
    Ok I will get off my soap box now.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    My earlier comment about bringing up the McNeese was about re-opening the wound, not about burying facts. Take it easy, Jethro.

1st or 2nd place in the 'Belt with an over .500 record is the only way I don't call for Bustle's "resignation."
    I think you and others are a year late in that call. but my thoughts on that are well hashed out on this board Right now I am hoping against hope that Bustle can turn this thing around

They do ring a bell since I was an athlete at the same time as they were. We did have a few stars who were better but as a team we are much improved talent wise than we were with Baldwin.
    This is a very interesting topic. Talent levels.

Stamps is our best WR since Stokley.(mid 90's)

Tillman and Taylor are our best DBs since Orlando Thomas and Todd Scott.(early 90's)

Stanley Smith and Ross Brupbacher are our best linebackers since Charles Pool and Patrice Alexander.(mid-90's)

Where Bustle has improved the team is on the line with decent depth.

What has allowed Bustle to win more than Baldwin, is he got Tyrell Fenroy. A player the caliber of Brian Mitchell and Jake Delhomme.

That is what Baldwin never could find. A skill player that could carry a program on his back.

Remember, this is just talking talent. We are not talking financial support or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    I think you and others are a year late in that call. but my thoughts on that are well hashed out on this board Right now I am hoping against hope that Bustle can turn this thing around
    I thought he should have been fired in the locker room after the McNeese game. or the end of the season. Now, I have a new set of criteria for me not to call for his early retirement.

Sorry if I come off harsh. Losing to McNeese has really jaded my view of the FB staff.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _
    That is what Baldwin never could find. A skill player that could carry a program on his back. _
    Not to drag up old topics but while Baldwin may have been able to evaluate athletic talent he was not a very good coach on the field. He made some really stupid in-game decisions. And many of those decisions seemed to be based on some personal prejudices he has. Prime example is his insistence on trying to make Nick Dugas his star QB. Dugas was very athletic and could have probably been a great contributor at another postion or maybe he could have been a successful QB in a different system. But Baldwin used a more typical drop back passer to move the team down the field and then inside the redzone would change QBs to insert Dugas. And typically the drive would stall becaue the opposing team would know that we would try to run with Dugas rather than passing. At best the result was 3 pts rather than a TD. This cost us a number of games with the Tulane visit to Cajun Field being one that sticks out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information