Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bowl or Bust?

Default Re: Bowl or Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Not to drag up old topics but while Baldwin may have been able to evaluate athletic talent he was not a very good coach on the field. He made some really stupid in-game decisions. And many of those decisions seemed to be based on some personal prejudices he has. Prime example is his insistence on trying to make Nick Dugas his star QB. Dugas was very athletic and could have probably been a great contributor at another postion or maybe he could have been a successful QB in a different system. But Baldwin used a more typical drop back passer to move the team down the field and then inside the redzone would change QBs to insert Dugas. And typically the drive would stall becaue the opposing team would know that we would try to run with Dugas rather than passing. At best the result was 3 pts rather than a TD. This cost us a number of games with the Tulane visit to Cajun Field being one that sticks out.
    Yes, while all of that is true. This is also true.

Baldwin won 2 out of every 10 games he coached.
    Pre-Fenroy, Bustle won 3 out of every 10 games he coached.

Take Fenroy away, and the difference in records is negligible.

Look, I'm not here to defend Baldwin and his ways. Dude should have never been hired.

I do want people to understand correctly the current state of the program.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    clutch, you're scaring me. deep breaths.
    you ever check your email? Just ignoring me?

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ you ever check your email? Just ignoring me?

Z _
    z, it was full and not telling me i had a new one. just deleted some stuff, so reshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ This comment is right on imo. There can be no question that Baldwin recruited better players. Just check the NFL for Baldwin players vs. Bustle players.

I know Baldwin sucked, please don't crucify me, but the talent level on Bustle's teams have suffered due to him not taking many chances on players of questionable character/grades. I realize this is noble and good for our program, but unfortunately it means we miss out on some truly exceptional NFL caliber talent, and then we lose more games.

At this point, I think we could afford to take a few more chances!

Because let's be honest. Was Mcneese less talented than us? I don't think that game was a fluke, but rather a sad reminder of where we stand in football. _
    Baldwin had two very good recruiters on his staff named Bartel and Tyke Tolbert. Most of the best athletes from Balwins early years were recruited by these two including Stamps, Tillman,Batiste, Sean Jones,Dugas, Coleman and Van Cleve. Ike Taylor was a walk-on.

Baldwin had no selective admissions and he recruited like it. His philosophy was simple, he didn't care if the recruit had character and was a good student athlete. He really believed that his back ground as a minister could help him change kids from the inner city and change the work habits of poor student athletes. As one of the few people that bought into his philosophy, he was wrong on both counts.

When Baldwin left the program, we had over a 30% attrition rate of athletes. It was not unusual for him to sign 10 to 12 props a year. Not unlike what McNeese State has done over the past few years. Baldwin couldn't build this program, because he couldn't keep his recruits qualified more then one or two years at a time. Not to mention his coaching decisions on the field.

Bustle faced a up hill climb when he took over the worst Div.1 football program in the country. His first recruiting class had few impact athletes because he had to beg kids to come to Lafayette and play. The lack of a winning tradition killed this programs recruiting as did losing Bartel and eventually the coach that replaced him Jennings. No assistants wanted to come here and coach for less money then a high school head coach. Let's not mention the lack of funding and quality facilities. If Bustle is gone after this season, then people better be ready to invest a whole lot more money instead of the lip service I read on this board. If not, then we don't deserve Division I football.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Bustle faced a up hill climb when he took over the worst Div.1 football program in the country. His first recruiting class had few impact athletes because he had to beg kids to come to Lafayette and play. The lack of a winning tradition killed this programs recruiting as did losing Bartel and eventually the coach that replaced him Jennings. No assistants wanted to come here and coach for less money then a high school head coach. Let's not mention the lack of funding and quality facilities. If Bustle is gone after this season, then people better be ready to invest a whole lot more money instead of the lip service I read on this board. If not, then we don't deserve Division I football.
    You could have replaced Bustle with Baldwin in this paragraph and it would be even truer.

Bustle has received much more support from the fans and the administration than Baldwin did.

And, you know what? The next coach after Bustle will receive much more support from the fans and the administration than Bustle did.

The state of this program when Baldwin and Bustle took over can be blamed on 1 person. You know who. He go Bye-Bye.

The future of Cajun football looks very bright my friend.

Cheer up!

_ Baldwin had two very good recruiters on his staff named Bartel and Tyke Tolbert. Most of the best athletes from Balwins early years were recruited by these two including Stamps, Tillman,Batiste, Sean Jones,Dugas, Coleman and Van Cleve. Ike Taylor was a walk-on.

Baldwin had no selective admissions and he recruited like it. His philosophy was simple, he didn't care if the recruit had character and was a good student athlete. He really believed that his back ground as a minister could help him change kids from the inner city and change the work habits of poor student athletes. As one of the few people that bought into his philosophy, he was wrong on both counts.

When Baldwin left the program, we had over a 30% attrition rate of athletes. It was not unusual for him to sign 10 to 12 props a year. Not unlike what McNeese State has done over the past few years. Baldwin couldn't build this program, because he couldn't keep his recruits qualified more then one or two years at a time. Not to mention his coaching decisions on the field.

Bustle faced a up hill climb when he took over the worst Div.1 football program in the country. His first recruiting class had few impact athletes because he had to beg kids to come to Lafayette and play. The lack of a winning tradition killed this programs recruiting as did losing Bartel and eventually the coach that replaced him Jennings. No assistants wanted to come here and coach for less money then a high school head coach. Let's not mention the lack of funding and quality facilities. If Bustle is gone after this season, then people better be ready to invest a whole lot more money instead of the lip service I read on this board. If not, then we don't deserve Division I football. _
    BJ I love what you write because it is based in fact.

_ This comment is right on imo. There can be no question that Baldwin recruited better players. Just check the NFL for Baldwin players vs. Bustle players.

I know Baldwin sucked, please don't crucify me, but the talent level on Bustle's teams have suffered due to him not taking many chances on players of questionable character/grades. I realize this is noble and good for our program, but unfortunately it means we miss out on some truly exceptional NFL caliber talent, and then we lose more games.

Because let's be honest. Was Mcneese less talented than us? I don't think that game was a fluke, but rather a sad reminder of where we stand in football. _
    They are at a different level in football.therefore the eligibility standards academically are lower for their recruits and players and the standards to remain eligible with the NCAA are less. Coach Bustle doesn't have that luxury. McNeese does. You can go on the NCAA Clearinghouse website and review what the differences are for high school recruits if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ You could have replaced Bustle with Baldwin in this paragraph and it would be even truer.

Bustle has received much more support from the fans and the administration than Baldwin did.

And, you know what? The next coach after Bustle will receive much more support from the fans and the administration than Bustle did.

The state of this program when Baldwin and Bustle took over can be blamed on 1 person. You know who. He go Bye-Bye.

Cheer up! _
    I don't think you can replace Baldwin with Bustle in any paragraph that I wrote. Bustle has recruited character kids and is graduating a large number of his athletes. He is not recruiting 10 to 12 props a year and he has gone out to help raise funds for this program. As for funding and support, if you call being the second worst funded football program in Division I more support, then yes he has had more support. My point was that regardless of what happens at the end of this season, you, I and everyone else had better be ready to pay more money to get better results. And let me add that the new administration had better be willing to open its' pocket books as well.

I've never truly bought into this thought process. Ike Taylor, Charles Tillman and Stamps have made it in the NFL but these guys were hardly dominate players in college. Ike Taylor spent most of his college career as a RB and I don't see him setting the bar at either position. We've never had a shutdown CB so lets not put Peanut up there as one of the all time cajun greats because it aint there. Stamps was solid but hardly put up Stokely numbers so lets not get out of hand.

I saw Baldwin's talent and I don't think it is as good as Bustle's. Bustle has also brought in guys that for the most part remain academically eligible and tend to have more of a team concept going. Again, not a knock against the previously mentioned players, but i don't think there is anyway that the talent level brought in by both coaches can be compared IMO.

_ You could have replaced Bustle with Baldwin in this paragraph and it would be even truer.

Cheer up! _

I agree with most things you say here and disagree on a few but I sure hope you are correct. I just worry about what happens if we do fire Bustle. To be honest, I'm on the fence. First, I hope we have a great year as everybody here(except RCajun90) does so the whole firing thing disappears. However, if he is gone next year, the key is the administration allowing us to open up the checkbook a little more. If this doesn't happen, you can forget about rebuilding anything. There is no coach worth anything that will come here for the money we pay and the lack of facilities we provide along with the lack of tradition.

_ Baldwin had two very good recruiters on his staff named Bartel and Tyke Tolbert. Most of the best athletes from Balwins early years were recruited by these two including Stamps, Tillman,Batiste, Sean Jones,Dugas, Coleman and Van Cleve. Ike Taylor was a walk-on.

Bustle faced a up hill climb when he took over the worst Div.1 football program in the country. His first recruiting class had few impact athletes because he had to beg kids to come to Lafayette and play. The lack of a winning tradition killed this programs recruiting as did losing Bartel and eventually the coach that replaced him Jennings. No assistants wanted to come here and coach for less money then a high school head coach. Let's not mention the lack of funding and quality facilities. If Bustle is gone after this season, then people better be ready to invest a whole lot more money instead of the lip service I read on this board. If not, then we don't deserve Division I football. _

I agree completely. If Bustle is gone after next season, there may be a small spike in enthusiasm through the community to see what the next administration brings but we had all be ready to do our part in supporting the program and putting our money where our mouths are. As fans, we are not entitled to anything. We need to do our part in showing the players and coaches that we support them and help generate that winning attitude.

I don't think you can replace Baldwin with Bustle in any paragraph that I wrote. Bustle has recruited character kids and is graduating a large number of his athletes. He is not recruiting 10 to 12 props a year and he has gone out to help raise funds for this program. As for funding and support, if you call being the second worst funded football program in Division I more support, then yes he has had more support. My point was that regardless of what happens at the end of this season, you, I and everyone else had better be ready to pay more money to get better results. And let me add that the new administration had better be willing to open its' pocket books as well.
    The main fact is we should never have hired Baldwin. He was not the guy for the job. End of story.

Having said that, he brought some fine kids/players in, I count Tillman, Hodges, Raush, Coleman, BMOC and many others among them. Bless 'em for their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Really guys aren't we tired of losing.
    as my 6 year old used to look me in the face and say "duh"

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Time to be realistic here.
    mais huh? had a coach the first spring after the first couple of days with "the team assembled then" jokingly asked me if they were any radio slots open glad you catching on

They are already gone.

Either way, I'm very confident that people will be REALLY fired up about Cajun football at this time next season.
    great words kudos

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information