Thread: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

1. UL Golf Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

Their season ended a month ago, but UL's golf team still enjoyed a huge weekend on three different fronts. And that doesn't even include the soon-to-be-completed search for a head coach to replace the retiring Bob B_____

One recent alumnus made his professional debut and cashed a four-figure check, three current squad members finished in the top 10 in Sunday's final round of the state's premier amateur event, and three Cajun players were honored on the All-Louisiana Golf Team selected by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald • danmcdonald@cox.net • June 11, 2008

UL Golf Re: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

This is great news! Speaking of news, is there any word on who the new golf coach might or will be?

UL Golf Re: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

Those is control are somewhat keeping quite about who is going to be the finalist, even the current players are being kept in the dark. The university did a national search and received pile of applicants and have narrowed their choice to five, including an assistant from the Florida Gators and Theo Sliman, former Ragin Cajun golfer from New Iberia and now an assistant pro out an Le Triomphe. From what I understand, the university is stepping up and will be offering "big time" pay for this position. Also, rumor has it that the new coach will be instrumental in getting a "ladies" program off the ground.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmole View Post
    Those is control are somewhat keeping quite about who is going to be the finalist, even the current players are being kept in the dark. The university did a national search and received pile of applicants and have narrowed their choice to five, including an assistant from the Florida Gators and Theo Sliman, former Ragin Cajun golfer from New Iberia and now an assistant pro out an Le Triomphe. From what I understand, the university is stepping up and will be offering "big time" pay for this position. Also, rumor has it that the new coach will be instrumental in getting a "ladies" program off the ground.
    Great news, Mole! Hope its good news for the Mole family as well. Jr Mole is a really nice kid. It'd be nice to have him in the "family" for the next few...

Z

_ Those is control are somewhat keeping quite about who is going to be the finalist, even the current players are being kept in the dark. The university did a national search and received pile of applicants and have narrowed their choice to five, including an assistant from the Florida Gators and Theo Sliman, former Ragin Cajun golfer from New Iberia and now an assistant pro out an Le Triomphe. From what I understand, the university is stepping up and will be offering "big time" pay for this position. Also, rumor has it that the new coach will be instrumental in getting a "ladies" program off the ground. _

Does anyone know if Craig Perks is in the running. He is off the PGA tour for good and residing in Lafayette. There was a nice piece on him recently on tv as a past winner of The Players Championship. He would give our program instant notoriety.

posted via mobile device
    craig would be a great choice

_ Those is control are somewhat keeping quite about who is going to be the finalist, even the current players are being kept in the dark. The university did a national search and received pile of applicants and have narrowed their choice to five, including an assistant from the Florida Gators and Theo Sliman, former Ragin Cajun golfer from New Iberia and now an assistant pro out an Le Triomphe. From what I understand, the university is stepping up and will be offering "big time" pay for this position. Also, rumor has it that the new coach will be instrumental in getting a "ladies" program off the ground. _
    Thats good news. I always thought it would be good to add ladies golf to the program. Should be a fairly economical program to start up.

Craig would be a great canidate for this position, but timing is not on our side. Craig is starting a very ambitious venture out at Le Triomphe. A building is being constructed to house a state of the art indoor training/teaching facility. He has already invested big time money on the building, on video equiment and the sorts and he is very excited about his new enterprize. Craig is a super individual and I wish him the very best in his new business.

Now on the selfish side, Le Triomphe (along with Oakborne, the Farm, all the munies in Lafayette, and the driving range on Kal. Saloom Rd) allow the Cajun golfers to practice and play, so maybe our guys will be able to take advantage Craig's facility to get better!!

9. Default Re: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

Can one imagine the recruiting advantage for UL with the facilities and the knowledge of Perks????

10. Default Re: Ragin' Cajun golfers enjoy great week

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    _ Thats good news. I always thought it would be good to add ladies golf to the program. Should be a fairly economical program to start up. _
    I'm not sure about the economics, you still have travel is expenses, you have uniforms, and although minimal equipment is needed (players provide there own clubs), you might know, good shirts, shoes and balls and other golf stuff... are pretty pricey in the golf business. The men's program has 4.5 scholarships to offer and there are 10 guys on the team. I think the women program have 7 scholarships to offer for 10 young ladies, its a title IX thing. But the problem is finding 10 good golfers to offer. Please, don't take this the wrong way, and no offense intended, but there are just not enough good young ladies coming up. Its a numbers game. So, if any of ya'll have young ladies looking for a sport, get them out of the gym and onto the links!!

_ I'm not sure about the economics, you still have travel is expenses, you have uniforms, and although minimal equipment is needed (players provide there own clubs), you might know, good shirts, shoes and balls and other golf stuff... are pretty pricey in the golf business. The men's program has 4.5 scholarships to offer and there are 10 guys on the team. I think the women program have 7 scholarships to offer for 10 young ladies, its a title IX thing. But the problem is finding 10 good golfers to offer. Please, don't take this the wrong way, and no offense intended, but there are just not enough good young ladies coming up. Its a numbers game. So, if any of ya'll have young ladies looking for a sport, get them out of the gym and onto the links!! _
    I hear ya! Kinda wish my daughter had pursued the golf side when in school. Definitely scholarships to be had throughout the US. WRT economics, I was kinda saying vs a team sport where more players would mean higher travel expenses, etc. Just glad to see another sport where the school can compete for conference championships and more.

Thread Information