Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Time-Line of Lafayette

Default Re: A Time-Line of Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
    War of 1812
    OK, I'm open, but convince me. why should that be included?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ OK, I'm open, but convince me. why should that be included? _
    Please tell me you did not miss the juicy irony. The Cajun plight began with British arrogance and heartless domination. Then years later in no place other than Cajun Country in the war of 1812 that same arrogance and domination was itself exiled, forever.

3. Default Re: A Time-Line of Lafayette

Call Warren Perrin if you need somebody to really get after the British!!!! BTW Fun ---maybe the Queen's apology could be included!!!!

posted via mobile device
    i went last night to get the full monty and the page wouldnt load tonight i try again

Please tell me you did not miss the juicy irony. The Cajun plight began with British arrogance and heartless domination. Then years later in no place other than Cajun Country in the war of 1812 that same arrogance and domination was itself exiled, forever.
    Some could say that the irony is still in effect as late as 2000. Cajuns being subject to arrogance and heartless domination by the governmental powers in place.

My favorite:

<< 1779 Acadian militia support American Revolution by participating in Galvez' siege of Baton Rouge in British West Florida >>

Cajuns attack Baton Rouge!

My other comment is if the school was founded in 1898, why does UL currently promote 1900 as the est. date on UL merchandise?

But it doesn't concern us. the Battle of New Orleans takes place as part of the War, but I don't see how that involves the people in this area.

(BTW, the attacks on New Orleans and Washington were diversionary. the main British contingent was coming down Lake Champlain. Through luck and/or Providence, a minimal force at Plattsburgh was able to repulse them. Fascinating story.)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    My other comment is if the school was founded in 1898, why does UL currently promote 1900 as the est. date on UL merchandise?
    Apparently, the only thing that happened in 1900 was that construction started on the campus.

Almost all schools use as their founding either the date of the charter or legislation, or the first day of classes (for us, 1901). Many references-- the Britannica, for one-- list UL as being founded in 1898. For some reason, however, the seal has said "1900" all these years.

As the Centennial approached, a number of us tried to get the Admin to change the date on the seal to 1898, without success.

Apparently, the only thing that happened in 1900 was that construction started on the campus.

Almost all schools use as their founding either the date of the charter or legislation, or the first day of classes (for us, 1901). Many references-- the Britannica, for one-- list UL as being founded in 1898. For some reason, however, the seal has said "1900" all these years.

As the Centennial approached, a number of us tried to get the Admin to change the date on the seal to 1898, without success.
    Did you get any rationale for the decision to leave it as 1900? Probably not, but I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Did you get any rationale for the decision to leave it as 1900? Probably not, but I was just curious. _
    Why is it that anything associated with the University that I love has so much trouble doing anything. Depending on who you talk to we have 15 different aliases (sp?), we aren't sure on the date the University was founded, We just got an athletic foundation whenever that gets up and running, apparently they are having trouble with that cause I haven't heard anything. Our Marketing dept. produces limited "good" merchandise. I hope Dr. Joe comes in kicking some arses, because that's what everyone needs. Sorry to go off subject, i did order one of the tri-fluer de Lis decals, list is good, i emailed to a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Did you get any rationale for the decision to leave it as 1900? Probably not, but I was just curious.
    Nope, nuttin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Why is it that anything associated with the University that I love has so much trouble doing anything. Depending on who you talk to we have 15 different aliases (sp?), we aren't sure on the date the University was founded, We just got an athletic foundation whenever that gets up and running, apparently they are having trouble with that cause I haven't heard anything. Our Marketing dept. produces limited "good" merchandise. I hope Dr. Joe comes in kicking some arses, because that's what everyone needs. Sorry to go off subject, i did order one of the tri-fluer de Lis decals, list is good, i emailed to a few people.
    One of the things the average fan-- and the average person-- misses, is how much chaos goes into order.

Take a football game. Many fans want flawless execution, every game, every play, forgetting.

1) The other team is trying like heck to make you "flawfull"
    2) The players have to respond very quickly, in the middle of high-emotion situations, and have to make many decisions. so they make mental mistakes
    3) The coaches are also in stressful situations, and they make mental mistakes
    4) Even when the coaches and players don't make mental mistakes, sometimes they just aren't as smart, fast, big or talented as the opposition
    5) And sometimes, "luck" just intervenes

It's true for football. But it's also true for war. It doesn't matter how important the decisions and the execution are, any struggle is a struggle against the Fates.

And the same thing is true in running an organization. A guy I know summed it up perfectly: "If it weren't for employees & customers, business would be wonderful."

THP: Any coach, general, manager or business owner will tell you the same thing, if you want progress, you will have to surf on chaos.

Ray & his people have done some good things.

Sometimes.

And other times. ?

I didn't mean to come off as a negative nancy here but it just seems like there is always something, i'd rather not hijack your thread here so i don't really want to get into all that but i do see where you're coming from.

_ Today's lead article is a time-line of Lafayette, UL,and the Cajuns.

_
    I reprinted it, with some updated info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information