Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby

1. Ragin' Cajuns Rugby

UL has won the
    Deep South Div. III collegate championship! They now
    move on to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for the Southern Section
    final four on 3/29. If they win there, they are off
    to the Round of 16 for the National Championship!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Rugby

UL has another shot at Myrtle Beach when they take on Alabama this weekend at Beaver Park. The match is set for 2 pm this Saturday. Come out and support the Cajuns as they continue into the playoffs and march on for a national title.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProp
    UL has another shot at Myrtle Beach when they take on Alabama this weekend at Beaver Park. The match is set for 2 pm this Saturday. Come out and support the Cajuns as they continue into the playoffs and march on for a national title.
    Were you on the 2003 team that went to Myrtle Beach?

I ran into the rugby team at the Bulldog Saturday night and I was told they had a good crowd at the last match. They're asking and hoping for a larger crowd this Sat. I'm hoping to head out there myself (with my baby in tow) to check out my first rugby match.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Were you on the 2003 team that went to Myrtle Beach?
    Naw unfortunately i was not on that team. I had transfered in last year.

Just for information the game starts between 4 - 4:30. the location is beaver park. come out to support the cajuns as they take on Alabama

Cajuns beat Alabama 42 - 0. They now advance to play Furman in the D III Final 4 in South Carolina.

Congratulations to the Rugby team! Is this a "club" team? Is it supported by the University? Rugby is such a Man's sport, tussling without armor. WOW!

Congratulations to the Rugby team! Is this a "club" team? Is it supported by the University? Rugby is such a Man's sport, tussling without armor. WOW!

Good Luck with the next foe.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Cajuns beat Alabama 42 - 0. They now advance to play Furman in the D III Final 4 in South Carolina.
    Excellent!

Z.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Well done Boys. I was on the last team that went the Myrtle Beach in '03. Coincidentally, we beat Alabama in the first round of that tourney, but fell to Furman in the second game. They were the superior team that day. Being it was the first year that the school actually helped us fund a team, we were very young and inexperienced. But the young guys on that team (James Saltzman, Matt McClure, etc.) are now the leaders of this team and i have every bit of confidence that you guys will return from MB victorious.

Good Luck Boys

12. Default UL rugby advances to USA Rugby South Division III semifinals

UL's rugby team has advanced to the semifinal round of the USA Rugby South Division III Championships thanks to a 42-0 victory over Alabama over the weekend.

The UL squad got a breakaway run from team captain Mitch Smith to take an early lead and got another score from Smith along with tallies from scrum half Alex Philpot, wing Matt Landry and center Daniel Correl.

The UL squad finished the regular season atop the Conference B West standings with nine points courtesy of a sweep of the three other teams in Conference B West. UL took a 22-18 win over Tulane, a 29-15 win over Loyola and a 41-7 win over La. Tech in the regular season before last weekend's win over Conference B East winner Alabama.

The squad will travel to Furman University in South Carolina to participate in USA Rugby South's round of four on Saturday, with the championship match on Sunday. The winner of Group B will move on to the overall South playoffs.

The source of the story

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Well done Boys. I was on the last team that went the Myrtle Beach in '03. Coincidentally, we beat Alabama in the first round of that tourney, but fell to Furman in the second game. They were the superior team that day. Being it was the first year that the school actually helped us fund a team, we were very young and inexperienced. But the young guys on that team (James Saltzman, Matt McClure, etc.) are now the leaders of this team and i have every bit of confidence that you guys will return from MB victorious.

Good Luck Boys

Actually Matt has graduated unfortunately but he was an awesome leader. James is still around. don't worry we will do the old boys proud. Actually we drew Furman in the first round of the tourney.

Will hopefully travel with the team and keep you all up to date with the tournament.

Cheers

Actually Matt has graduated unfortunately but he was an awesome leader. James is still around. don't worry we will do the old boys proud. Actually we drew Furman in the first round of the tourney.

Will hopefully travel with the team and keep you all up to date with the tournament.

Cheers
    Hey guys, here is an e-mail that I got from one of the current team members to all of the old players and friends of the Rugby Club. Do what you can, if you can. I know its long, but.

To Whom It May Concern:
    My name is Paul “PJ” Romero, UL Lafayette Rugby Alumni 2004-2006. I have the great fortune to report a tremendous season of Cajun Rugby played in spectacular form for the spring 2007 season and the privilege to contact local businesses and alumni for the UL Lafayette Ragin’ Cajun Rugby Team. I can say that this team and the coaching staff have always gone the extra mile and taken the higher road in their quest for success. To say it’s been a team effort is an understatement if there ever was one. It’s been an amazing team effort, every year.

During the last two seasons we, as an under-financed collegiate team, have managed consecutive winning seasons leading to a Division Title Match, only to lose by the smallest of margins. I’m happy to report that this season the Cajuns beat the University of Western Florida 60-5 in grand fashion for the Division Semi-Finals and found themselves in a repeat Division Title match from 2006 against the University of Alabama’s Crimson Tide. But let’s take a step back and fully appreciate this stellar performance of Cajun spirit, heart and brotherhood.

The preseason New Orleans All-Star Tournament pitted the Cajuns against top ranked Old Miss. The look on Old Miss’ face was priceless when the Cajuns played with their hearts and beat them soundly. The Fall 2006 Battleship Tournament put the Cajuns once again into the fray playing top seeded Florida State University in the semi-final match and securing an overall 2nd place finish. This victory was secured by an all out effort of ever man on the team. Florida State found out what Cajun Rugby was all about and took their beating less than gracefully. After all, being beat by a smaller, under-financed, and barely known ULL Rugby team was the last thing they expected.

Earlier in this spring season the Cajuns beat the likes of Tulane University, La Tech University, and Loyola University making them the only undefeated rugby team in the Deep South Conference. With a full head of steam and payback in their minds, the Cajuns prevailed over the Alabama Crimson Tide 42-0 and became the Collegiate Division Title Champions for 2007.

Now, why is this important to you? Simply, the Cajuns, on March 31 and April 1, have the privilege to represent our University, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette at the USA Rugby South Collegiate Men’s Final 4 at Furman University in South Carolina. The Cajun Rugby Team is healthy, 28 men strong, skilled and motivated to go all the way. This team has worked hard, has maintained good academic standing and has walked the walk. They’ve done this in grand fashion with honor, integrity and commoraderie. They’ve earned this opportunity, but now they need your help.

The University of Louisiana has been generous and provided some funds while the current Student Government Association has provided what it can. Unfortunately this is far short of what is needed in order to attend and compete in the Final 4. To do this, the Cajuns need donations totaling $3000. A significant portion is transportation, which some wonderful company may be able to provide in part or whole. Whether your company can offer $1000 or $100, know that it will be used to send these inspiring men to a destiny they’ve only dreamed of until now. Help them to live this dream and support the UL Cajun heart that beats within us all.

Donations can be in check form made out to the ULLRFC Cajuns. ULLRFC is the not-for-profit incorporation of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Rugby Football Club. All donations are tax deductible and our tax i.d. number will be provided on all receipts. Due to the timeliness of the teams need, Officers of the organization, along with Coach Boyd, and/or the Cajun Rugger Huggers booster group will be able to pick up your donations at your convenience.

The Cajun Rugby team departs on Thursday March 29th if they receive the support they desperately need in a timely fashion. Thank you in advance for your support to send our hard working boys to represent Louisiana in the intense sport of Rugby. We look forward to bringing another big victory home to Louisiana. GO CAJUNS!!!

Sincerely,

Paul J. Romero, Jr. James Saltzman
    ULLRFC Alum ULLRFC, Vice-President

Outside Sales Engineer 337-501-2005

Automation Engineering Co.

337-704-1657

Is Chris-E still involved with the rugby team?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information